• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex scopes must have an awful lot of problems

you got me, im skeered. im going to go play video games....later, mom just brought some cheetos
Knock yourself out. Next time you get involved in a thread try to post something on topic. Have a nice evening.

I have a friend with several Vortex's. He has had problems with a few PST's in the parallax and turret before but the razor is really a nice scope. The PST does seem like a good bargain and a lot of people speak highly of them but personally if in that price range I would go Bushnell. Then SWFA in that order.

only problem I have had with hard use of the 4 pieces I have is some fuck tard sat on my spotting scope and broke the eye piece off. Had a new one in 3 days as when I called I told them deer season was starting but I could wait for normal shipping the nice lady would have none of that and a new one was on my door step the Friday before opener. 2 sets of binocs, hs xlr and nomad spotter not the highest end and no problems. Multiple other buddies have pst's and no problems in my group. It feels good to be treated like you matter when in the grand scheme of things I probally don't spend shit compared to other people but they make you feel like you are important to them.

Does Vortex make a FFP Mil/Mil? Sounds like they have great CS.

Vortex stands behind their products and, more importantly, their customers.
Say what you want about their quality relative to other brands, their customer service is second to none.

After reading all the intelligent and meaningful posts only interrupted briefly by some small children ranting and raving over nothing, I have a thought!! I't seems that either Vortex is trying to knock out the competition with some super duper CS or it is so cheap to manufacture these scopes in the Philippines that they can afford to offer this you brake them you can destroy them and their unconditional no questions asked guaranty replaces them. "Wow" is all I can say, VIVA Vortex!!!!

Last edited:
After reading all the intelligent and meaningful posts only interrupted briefly by some small children ranting and raving over nothing, I have a thought!! I't seems that either Vortex is trying to knock out the competition with some super duper CS or it is so cheap to manufacture these scopes in Indonesia that they can afford to offer this you brake them you can destroy them and their unconditional no questions asked guaranty replaces them. "Wow" is all I can say, VIVA Vortex!!!!

A simple Google search would tell you that Vortex scopes are made in Japan, and the Philippines.

But then you couldn't spout off ignorant, racist, BS could you?

Vortex offers a feature filled optic at a price point that allows more people to enjoy our sport. Furthermore, they back their product fully. Sacrifices had to be made in order to bring this product to market at a price point which made it competitive. All of this is good in my opinion. If it breaks(or I break it) they fix it. I fail to see a downside unless your life depends on it. In that case, buy better quality. Mine work fine for my intended use.

A simple Google search would tell you that Vortex scopes are made in Japan, and the Philippines.

But then you couldn't spout off ignorant, racist, BS could you?

Hey Rhyno, take a break you don't have to be a prick all the time, Indonesia/Philippines who cares, my comment wasen't bad mouthing Vortex, or the people there and by the way I own a Vortex Razor. Put your brain in gear man.....why do you think American companies go to China and the Philippines and Indonesia if not for cheap labor costs, understand now you Ignorant racist ahole...

Last edited:
Vortex offers a feature filled optic at a price point that allows more people to enjoy our sport. Furthermore, they back their product fully. Sacrifices had to be made in order to bring this product to market at a price point which made it competitive. All of this is good in my opinion. If it breaks(or I break it) they fix it. I fail to see a downside unless your life depends on it. In that case, buy better quality. Mine work fine for my intended use.

biner626, your absolutely right, Vortex are very good optics and thats why I own a Razor. Iv'e owned it for 2 years now and have never had a problem....

I have quite the history with Vortex. Started out with a PST 4-16x FFP (this was my first scope over $200 ever) and it preformed flawlessly and helped me get into the sport. After a while I wanted a bit more magnification and at the same time I decided to step up to some better glass.

I bought my first Razor (which I still have) used the hell out of it for a year and a half at ever match I could get to. I use my gear hard (just ask anyone i shoot with) and their scopes have held up flawlessly. Just bought my second Razor a few months ago. I think they are absolutely the best scope for the price.

I have used their unparalleled customer service when I dumped my match rifle off my kitchen counter (landing directly on the top turret) three days before Findlay cup. Not only did they next day air me a scope so I could mount it and zero it before the match, they paid for it. I will forever be a Vortex customer after how they have treated me.

People can say what they will about them, and yeah you damn well should hear about their customer service because it's so good they earn lifetime customers from it.

(and logos in my signature)

Last edited:
I have a couple Vortex products and a couple non-vortex products. I feel I baby the non-vortex products just because I don't want to deal with the other manufactures CS. I have only had to deal with Vortex CS on the eyepiece upgrade for my RAZOR. Which they paid for.

Here is what I tell my friends and family when they are looking for optics:

"Vortex-take that Fucker and throw it into the bottom of the Grand Canyon, If you have the balls to retrieve it they have the balls to replace it".

Their VIP warranty is in writing. It is a NO fault warranty and it says so. Who else does that? Right there they are putting their neck out. That is called good CS, you don't have to use it to recognize that.

I would not call me a Fan-boy on there products, I have others, But I am a fan of their warranty and my vortex products are the ones I worry about the least.

Last edited:
I run one of their Midway exclusive 5-15's on my 260 and have really been impressed with the damned thing for what I paid for it. It tracks better than any other scope I own, the glass is superb (again, for the price) and I've beat on it pretty hard without a single failure. Vortex has drawn a lot of loyal customers to their PST and Razor lines for their durability and reliability, but there's another crowd that a lot of companies forget about. Vortex has glass that's rugged and reliable on a blue collar budget as well. I can't rush out and spend $900 or more for an optic at this time, or when I went out and built my 260, so I gave the Viper HS from Midway a try. I wish I had bought 3 of the damned things when they went on sale. Do I ever plan on replacing it? Yes, but it'll be to step up to a FFP mil/mil PST.

Lots of companies offer lifetime warranties..........until you try to use them, then it was your fault it happened and not covered (true story). I'm reminded of a discussion here where Scott was asked how durable their wire reticles were, or something to that effect. He replied by stating that nothing short of throwing the optic off a mountain was going to break the wire. Again, I'm paraphrasing here as I can't find the topic. Someone asked if that act would be covered under their VIP warranty. Scott replied with one word............Absolutely. That right there is what I call standing behind a product AND it's warranty.

Limited personal experience but I have two shooting buddies/ co workers that have PST's (4-16& 2.5-10) and both have issues... The 4-16 is murky/hazy and The 2.5-10 won't track true and jumps when dialing elevation. I wanted a PST more than anything a while back but I had a weaver FFP budget ;). I will say I'm happy with my budget scope purchase. Kind of embarrassing since I talked/advised the both of the to buy vortex, my main selling point was the VIP warranty and now they are both using it. I will say the clarity and tracking of the weaver ffp blows the vortex out of the water (buddies words not mine but I happen to agree) , not sure about the warranty though as I have not needed it yet but Im guessing the vortex would be easier to fix/service judging by Internet hype.

Last edited:
Not long ago I bought a Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS in MOA for my .308. Works good, nice resolution, holds a zero, and lets me put rounds where I want them to be. Little short on elevation adjustment but that was my fault for not paying more attention to the numbers in the advertisement. A new rail is easy and corrected the short fall. The glass seemed a little hazy so I sent an e-mail to Vortex to talk about it. The first things they said, same day at that, was to send it so they could repair or replace it. No questions, no accusations, no hard time. I told them I'll be sending it after the season closes, they said, no problem we'll handle it when you're ready. Say the word and we'll handle the shipping.

So no, the scope hasn't gone back yet and i have not seen what they might be able to do with it, but I already know they are people I like dealing with. This will be the second company I know of that will have built their customer base upon superior customer service and the needs of the customer and will likely rise to the top as cream like the other company because of it. It's called taking care of your customers, and putting them at the head of the line. There's too many snooty outfits that forgot a long time ago they are in business because of the customer, and without the customer they could just as well sit home and pound sand.

Yes, I have other scopes too, some better than the Vortex, but I really like being treated like I'm important by a company when I buy their products. It's such an unusual feeling these days.

Last edited:
Not able to look through every post in this thread, I will say this..

I've been selling Vortex from the beginning (their beginning anyway)....since then, never a return on a Diamondback scope, one return on a Viper, a couple of returns on the Viper PST and Razor HD, a few on their Crossfire line (expected as it relates to pricepoint) never a return on spotters or binos...

Vortex is the gold standard for customer service for the enduser and I wish all scope companies handled their business like they do...

Their products do NOT cause a lot of headaches but when any issue crops up they cover it like a wet blanket...

Not able to look through every post in this thread, I will say this..

I've been selling Vortex from the beginning (their beginning anyway)....since then, never a return on a Diamondback scope, one return on a Viper, a couple of returns on the Viper PST and Razor HD, a few on their Crossfire line (expected as it relates to pricepoint) never a return on spotters or binos...

Vortex is the gold standard for customer service for the enduser and I wish all scope companies handled their business like they do...

Their products do NOT cause a lot of headaches but when any issue crops up they cover it like a wet blanket...

Enough said!!

I think this is a valid question as it does get brought up a lot. IMO Vortex customer service gets mentioned so much not because it is always being used but rather because of their policy. As it has been demonstrated several times already Vortex's main goal is a happy customer no matter what. They have an unconditional warranty and they mean unconditional. People have admitted that the problem was their fault and Vortex went out of their way to help them make it right. From what I have read, seems pretty squared away to me.

I have owned 1 Razor HD rifles scope and would not hesitate to get another one. I also have the Razor HD spotter with both eyepieces and would not trade it for a Swarovski or Zeiss. The Razors are good stuff...

I never had an issue with my Vortex scopes. My Viper went to a buddy who broke his other brand scope a week before his elk hunt on a .300 Win Mag. He still has it and it is still shooting on a hunting rifle weight .300 Win Mag. My customer service issue is when I called the company before I bought my second one and was given good advice. I live to far away to ever see one in person and know the ring size etc. I was given great help!

Limited personal experience but I have two shooting buddies/ co workers that have PST's (4-16& 2.5-10) and both have issues... The 4-16 is murky/hazy and The 2.5-10 won't track true and jumps when dialing elevation. I wanted a PST more than anything a while back but I had a weaver FFP budget ;). I will say I'm happy with my budget scope purchase. Kind of embarrassing since I talked/advised the both of the to buy vortex, my main selling point was the VIP warranty and now they are both using it. I will say the clarity and tracking of the weaver ffp blows the vortex out of the water (buddies words not mine but I happen to agree) , not sure about the warranty though as I have not needed it yet but Im guessing the vortex would be easier to fix/service judging by Internet hype.

This is the problem. Again someone who self admittedly says they have limited experience and yet their buddies blah blah blah. And on top of it he "talked/advised the both of the to buy vortex" based upon his limited experience? Murky/hazy compared to exactly what? I own both the 4-16 and the 2.5-10 which I've compared side by side with Leupold, Bushnell, his Weaver and various others and not had any of the aforementioned problems his "buddies" had. The real issue is bandwagoner's doing a lot of internet reading and then the next thing you know it's somehow firsthand experience.

Hard core shooters love them.

The internet's universe of virtual shooters have many concerns about them.

Hard core shooters love them.

The internet's universe of virtual shooters have many concerns about them.

HaHa.. Right On, Well Said Buddy!!! Ive just bought my first so I cant say much about them until I begin shooting with them but they seem to be top shelf quality and backed up by a bulletproof guarantee so its a no brainer purchase for me at least. To each their own I guess, I just hate it when someone bashes your stuff just because they think theirs is better.

This is the problem. Again someone who self admittedly says they have limited experience and yet their buddies blah blah blah. And on top of it he "talked/advised the both of the to buy vortex" based upon his limited experience? Murky/hazy compared to exactly what? I own both the 4-16 and the 2.5-10 which I've compared side by side with Leupold, Bushnell, his Weaver and various others and not had any of the aforementioned problems his "buddies" had. The real issue is bandwagoner's doing a lot of internet reading and then the next thing you know it's somehow firsthand experience.

Blah,blah,blah...... I said I had limited experience with them. with approx 200rds out of the 4-16 and three range trips maby 50-75 rds with the 2.5-10. that is my first hand experience with vortex. Sorry I pissed you off, to avoid this problem in the future I won't ever recommend a optic to a friend anymore based on features, price, and customer service.

I would have to say Vortex has excellent customer service. Even though I will never purchase another product by them again.

I am a hunter. I have been using Leupold VXII's for years. I had a bad experience at long distance (425 yards) shooting and killing an elk in a previous hunting season. This year I decided to up my game. I took a long range shooting class that taught the basics on how to shoot out to 1000 yards. For the class I borrowed a Vortex Viper PST 6.5-24X50, FFP, mil/mil scope. I enjoyed the features and grew accustomed to them very quickly. A month after the class I scraped up enough money to purchase my own Viper PST. I spent as much time as I could at the range shooting and developed a load that would efficiently kill an elk out as far as 700 yards.

One of the selling points was the warranty, by those in my local shooting community. My counter argument, prior to my purchase was the fact that a warranty as good as Vortex's, is, that it doesn't matter at all if it fails during an elk hunt.

I only managed to shoot 168 rounds out of my 300 WM prior to hunting season to develop "dope" for the upcoming elk hunt. But I felt confident in what I had accomplished.

On the first day of my elk hunt, halfway through the day, I discovered that my elevation turret was positioned 1/2 way between zero and the first "click". I turned the knob to the up direction and had no clicks. I turned it to the down direction and had positive clicks. I did that twice before I decided not to turn the knob any more. I was worried I may be off by as much as 6 clicks (6/10 mil). I decided to hunt the remainder of the day and would have to rely on holdovers and no turning of the elevation turret. Long story short the entire elevation turret assembly was loose and backing out of the body of the scope every time I turned the turret to the up direction (lefty loosey, righty tighty).

At this point of the hunt I was deep down in a canyon. A 3 hour hike back out to the road where my four wheeler was parked and a thirty minute ride back to camp and my backup rifle/scope. Elk camp is 14 miles off pavement and 75 miles from home.

For the remainder of the week of elk hunting I relied on my backup rifle with my Leupold VXII. On the last day of the elk hunt I ended up taking a shot at a bull elk at 470 yards. I had a great rest on shooting sticks and was as ready for the shot as I could be. I knew I had about 22 inches of drop with my zero. I missed. Trying to do a "hold high" on fur with a duplex reticle is hard. Of which I am not very good at and should never have taken that kind of shot with the equipment I had to use in the first place. My experience with my Vortex at the range and the ballistics card I had developed would have given me a specific dial up and would have been an easier shot to make.

After the hunting trip I sent the scope into vortex with a heartfelt, professional 2 page letter, accompanied with a copy of my original sales receipt. In the letter I basically said that I was done with their brand. If they wanted to repair the scope and send it back that was fine, I would sell it at a loss. If not, they could honor their "unconditional warranty" and send me a check, their choice. Two days after they received the scope at their warranty facility in WI, I received a check in the mail for the full amount, including sales tax. I will never use their brand again. But I was impressed with their customer service.

In order to find another brand of scope with the features of the viper PST I will have to spend a lot more money. No guarantee that I would not have problems with another brand to be sure. But I will do that regardless. My elk hunting equipment comes in two categories; Life and Death. The first is my life, either to sustain or save it. The second; the death of my choice of hunted big game animal. If the equipment fails to measure up in either category it is useless regardless of warranty.

My experience may not be that common. But it is mine. I will not use their products again, nor will I recommend them. But I cannot begrudge them for their customer service, it was outstanding.

Brett in Boise

Last edited:
I would have to say Vortex has excellent customer service. Even though I will never purchase another product by them again.

I am a hunter. I have been using Leupold VXII's for years. I had a bad experience at long distance (425 yards) shooting and killing an elk in a previous hunting season. This year I decided to up my game. I took a long range shooting class that taught the basics on how to shoot out to 1000 yards. For the class I borrowed a Vortex Viper PST 6.5-24X50, FFP, mil/mil scope. I enjoyed the features and grew accustomed to them very quickly. A month after the class I scraped up enough money to purchase my own Viper PST. I spent as much time as I could at the range shooting and developed a load that would efficiently kill an elk out as far as 700 yards.

One of the selling points was the warranty, by those in my local shooting community. My counter argument, prior to my purchase was the fact that a warranty as good as Vortex's, is, that it doesn't matter at all if it fails during an elk hunt.

I only managed to shoot 168 rounds out of my 300 WM prior to hunting season to develop "dope" for the upcoming elk hunt. But I felt confident in what I had accomplished.

On the first day of my elk hunt, halfway through the day, I discovered that my elevation turret was positioned 1/2 way between zero and the first "click". I turned the knob to the up direction and had no clicks. I turned it to the down direction and had positive clicks. I did that twice before I decided not to turn the knob any more. I was worried I may be off by as much as 6 clicks (6/10 mil). I decided to hunt the remainder of the day and would have to rely on holdovers and no turning of the elevation turret. Long story short the entire elevation turret assembly was loose and backing out of the body of the scope every time I turned the turret to the up direction (lefty loosey, righty tighty).

At this point of the hunt I was deep down in a canyon. A 3 hour hike back out to the road where my four wheeler was parked and a thirty minute ride back to camp and my backup rifle/scope. Elk camp is 14 miles off pavement and 75 miles from home.

For the remainder of the week of elk hunting I relied on my backup rifle with my Leupold VXII. On the last day of the elk hunt I ended up taking a shot at a bull elk at 470 yards. I had a great rest on shooting sticks and was as ready for the shot as I could be. I knew I had about 22 inches of drop with my zero. I missed. Trying to do a "hold high" on fur with a duplex reticle is hard. Of which I am not very good at and should never have taken that kind of shot with the equipment I had to use in the first place. My experience with my Vortex at the range and the ballistics card I had developed would have given me a specific dial up and would have been an easier shot to make.

After the hunting trip I sent the scope into vortex with a heartfelt, professional 2 page letter, accompanied with a copy of my original sales receipt. In the letter I basically said that I was done with their brand. If they wanted to repair the scope and send it back that was fine, I would sell it at a loss. If not, they could honor their "unconditional warranty" and send me a check, their choice. Two days after they received the scope at their warranty facility in WI, I received a check in the mail for the full amount, including sales tax. I will never use their brand again. But I was impressed with their customer service.

In order to find another brand of scope with the features of the viper PST I will have to spend a lot more money. No guarantee that I would not have problems with another brand to be sure. But I will do that regardless. My elk hunting equipment comes in two categories; Life and Death. The first is my life, either to sustain or save it. The second; the death of my choice of hunted big game animal. If the equipment fails to measure up in either category it is useless regardless of warranty.

My experience may not be that common. But it is mine. I will not use their products again, nor will I recommend them. But I cannot begrudge them for their customer service, it was outstanding.

Brett in Boise

Honestly, that really sucks for you and I would be pretty pissed too. But in all reality, I think you should have had them repair it. there is sometimes a bunk one in the lot. It happens. Just like the new F150 Ecoboost. Look at it online and I can show you hundreds of complaints about the motor, but in reality they have sold over 200,000 from 2011 to 2012.

My point is Vortex makes a truly vindicated, quality scope for very good price points. I feel you did yourself a disservice by opting for the check over the scope.

Either way it does suck to have something break in the field.

I personally own two Razor's and have had no issues but have experienced above and beyond service when I would call asking about reticle changes etc. etc.. If you look at the thread the equipment the pros use you will see that within the top 56 shooters more use Vortex than do Leupold, Nightforce or US Optics. At that level people have a choice on what they want to use, granted some are sponsored but if they were not winning with that equipmnet they would make a change.

Anything mechanical WILL break! Havinh owned A Leupold M3 for trn years, it broke at yhe same time I picked a 6-24 PST. The PST had black specks of grease or some thing inside the lense after zeroing it. I cslled Vortex and they emailed me a shipping label, Leupold made me ship on my dime. I told both companies bothe scopes wete on duty rifles a d I needed them back ASAP.Votex took exactly one day and the Leupold took five weeks. I ve sold the Leupold and I have PSTs on my rifles. They get cranked on because I shoot out to 700 quite a bit. The scopes get banged on and they wirk perfectly. I like how Vortex stands behind their products..

Anything mechanical WILL break! Havinh owned A Leupold M3 for trn years, it broke at yhe same time I picked a 6-24 PST. The PST had black specks of grease or some thing inside the lense after zeroing it. I cslled Vortex and they emailed me a shipping label, Leupold made me ship on my dime. I told both companies bothe scopes wete on duty rifles a d I needed them back ASAP.Votex took exactly one day and the Leupold took five weeks. I ve sold the Leupold and I have PSTs on my rifles. They get cranked on because I shoot out to 700 quite a bit. The scopes get banged on and they wirk perfectly. I like how Vortex stands behind their products..

Exactly...

I sat in a training meeting where one of Leupolds Rep's stated that "98% of the scopes returned to them for service aren't really broke." He then spent a majority of the meeting trying to convince us that we don't need more than a 1" tubes, FFP is not a practical feature, and how we should push theirs based upon their Military contracts. The Swarovski rep peddled how their glass is the "only zero distortion" on the market and that "more hunters kill more game with their scopes than any other out there." When a few suggestions were made on features that customers would like to see his answer to everything thing was how it's not needed and it's essentially perfect in their eyes the way it is. When the Vortex Rep showed up rather than pitching us bullshit stats and exaggerations he asked us what we wanted to see more of and if we had any recommendations. I'll take the company that actually listens to it's customers over the one who only hears the sound of their own voice any day of the week.

AwJeezNotThisShitAgain-1.jpg

So you will never use or recommend a vortex scope again, because you had one With a malfunction? I had a leupold mess up on me, sent it back they sent me a new one. But since that one had a malfunction I better take all my leupolds off my guns and throw them in the trash just because one messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to realize that for this shooter, he has had a failure rate of 100% with Vortex scopes. The one and only Vortex scope he has owned broke at a crucial time and as a result he missed out on his Elk that hunt, a hunt he probably spent a small fortune to prepare for and participate in. That's a very powerful ownership experience for him. It's like when my buddy had the transmission go on his new Acura. He swore he would never own another one even though he is well aware of Acura's excellent reliability record overall.

Joe

So you will never use or recommend a vortex scope again, because you had one With a malfunction? I had a leupold mess up on me, sent it back they sent me a new one. But since that one had a malfunction I better take all my leupolds off my guns and throw them in the trash just because one messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To close personal friends, no I would not recommend that brand. But to others, my experience is probably a small percentage. Very small. So I would just advise others of my experience.

Just because "I" had a failure does not make a Vortex branded scope a bad purchase. "I" had a failure when "I" can not have a failure. "I" am hard headed that way, to a fault (at most times). So my experience does not make for a be all end all decision for anyone on a scope purchase from vortex.

Again, my equipment list for elk hunting in Idaho, falls into 2 categories; Life and Death. First and foremost my life, sustain or save. Second, my choice of big game that I hunt, their death. If any equipment fails to perform properly (in my opinion) in either of those two categories, I am finished permanently with that brand/item.

I have no question about their customer service. It is top notch.

But I was not punching holes in paper. I was hunting. Well out into the Idaho mountains. There are hunters much more tougher than I, out here in Idaho, that venture much further into the mountains to hunt elk. But from my perspective, I can not and will not use equipment that I cannot trust 100%.

Where I go to hunt elk, in my mind/perception, is far enough from roads/civilization that I need 100% reliability. All "I" need is one failure of a part of my equipment and either my life is in danger or my success to take game is in jeopardy. That "I" will not stand for at any time.

It does not matter the brand, if it fails, I am done.

Well put Sir... I agree with your point %100. It sounds like the vortex warranty treated you right but the scope it's self let ya down.
Some folks have the patients to deal with a send it back until it's right company and some do not.

Broke
Be careful what you hear in a sales meeting as all of the companies send salesmen to those thing ;) they have those titles for a reason. Some are good enough to get you to buy or defend any product regardless of price quality.

Last edited:
Boisebrett, I understand your reasoning why you won't buy or recommend vortex products but to me it is a little flawed.

First you talk about how serious you are about you gear "life and death" or whatever. If you are so serious then why wouldn't you buy the razor hd, it's a much higher quality scope than the pst, not saying pst are bad. You have to expect a scope with so many features with a cheaper price tag has to have a higher chance of failure than the higher quality line of scopes made by the same company. I'm not saying you should expect a scope to fail just because it is cheaper, I'm just saying if I am really serious and want to completely remove as much chance for failure as possible I'm always going with the higher quality product made by a company.

I'm not calling you out or nothing I'm just making a point, not trying to be offensive. I would definitely be pissed in your position too.

I had a great rest on shooting sticks and was as ready for the shot as I could be.

images

Didn't realize shooting sticks were a "great rest"..... kinda a crappy rest IMHO

I had bought a Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR-2 a few years ago. Mine was definitely a built on Friday scope. The magnification ring was on upside down, and if I looked through the objective, there was like a small piece of lint inside. They sent a prepaid postage for return shipping. I asked if it was possible to switch to the EBR-2B reticle as well. They said no problem and sent me a brand new scope since it was faster than repairing it.

I no longer own the scope because I sold the rig. But I did just purchase the Gen II 1-6x24 to replace my Meopta K-dot. That thing is amazing.

I believe it is unfair to rate Vortex scopes as a whole. They have a wide range of quality, and you pretty much get more than you pay for in comparison to other brands. Vortex scopes are spec'ed not built by Vortex, and I believe they are priced well below what a lot of other companies would charge for the same product.

If you want a chinese scope, get a crossfire. The diamondback comes from the Philippines. I believe the Viper and up, including the Razor are manufactured at Light Optical Works in Japan. LOW produces as good a scope as you are willing to spec, as they also make several of the Nightforce models in the same building.

So to say "Vortex" scopes are xxxxxx is an unqualified statement. Looks to me like they are doing a fantastic job, shooters need to match the level of quality to the type of use they intend for the optic. A 300WM would put me looking at a Razor. 22 truck gun is gonna wear a Crossfire. But ultimately anything I own can break:)

so judging by that logic, if brand X ammo has a failure to fire in brand Y rifle, (lets just say it was either a light primer strike or primer set too deep) will you never recommend that rifle and ammo again?

I believe it is unfair to rate Vortex scopes as a whole. They have a wide range of quality, and you pretty much get more than you pay for in comparison to other brands. Vortex scopes are spec'ed not built by Vortex, and I believe they are priced well below what a lot of other companies would charge for the same product.

If you want a chinese scope, get a crossfire. The diamondback comes from the Philippines. I believe the Viper and up, including the Razor are manufactured at Light Optical Works in Japan. LOW produces as good a scope as you are willing to spec, as they also make several of the Nightforce models in the same building.

So to say "Vortex" scopes are xxxxxx is an unqualified statement. Looks to me like they are doing a fantastic job, shooters need to match the level of quality to the type of use they intend for the optic. A 300WM would put me looking at a Razor. 22 truck gun is gonna wear a Crossfire. But ultimately anything I own can break:)

PST's are made in the philippines

Red hooker, totally agree with what you were saying. They have a wide range of product each for an intended purpose and yes sometimes you just get a screwed up scope, regardless of how much you pay for it.

I did not read all the posts, but my experience with them is very positive. I just dropped in their store. We all like to window shop. I brought my Vortex to compare to the 6-24 and the higher end Razor. I also wanted to see the 6.5-20 (low priced work horse) I was told is a great buy via net.
They were very helpful and gave my scope a free check/tune up. Everything was just fine but they checked it anyway.
Also gave me 2 free shirts, can't beat that.
Troy

Some of the sales staff are real shooters also. Got to talk to them about tiny bug holes and custom guns.

If I never recommended or used any product in this sport that has given me a problem then I am not sure I would still be shooting. Shit happens. Some people can get over it. Some can't. We all have to make our own choices. Bottom line.

I have just bought a PST and am looking forward to it. I am quite pleased to hear about the customer service as I will likely use it.

I own a couple of Dillon reloading presses. Several things have broken and they have taken care of them 100%. My next press will be a Dillon. I expect parts to break and I know Dillon will replace them at no cost. I like that.

I had that happen with my PST. In the middle of a long range course. Not quite out from camp on an elk hunt, but also not good.

I turned the turret in the down direction (with clicks) until I hit the zero stop, then gave it a bit of hand tightening.

I then had clicks in both directions. Checked the zero at 200 yards and it was spot on. Later that day, made hits at 1200 yards with a .308.

Oh, and I was not as careful as you were, I unscrewed the whole turret right off the scope before tightening it down. :)

I did send it to Vortex after talking to them. They wanted to repurge the scope, and put a drop of Loctite on the turret.

Not long ago I bought a Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS in MOA for my .308. Works good, nice resolution, holds a zero, and lets me put rounds where I want them to be. Little short on elevation adjustment but that was my fault for not paying more attention to the numbers in the advertisement. A new rail is easy and corrected the short fall. The glass seemed a little hazy so I sent an e-mail to Vortex to talk about it. The first things they said, same day at that, was to send it so they could repair or replace it. No questions, no accusations, no hard time. I told them I'll be sending it after the season closes, they said, no problem we'll handle it when you're ready. Say the word and we'll handle the shipping.

Here's a snippet from another forum. Goes completely against your experience.

I replaced that 3-9x scope with a 6-24x Vortex Viper PST FFP. (using it for LR hunting, Gongs & F Class)
Did it make me shoot any better............No, if anything my F Class scores have dropped.

On 24x the image often becomes quite haisy . . . & no amount of fidling with the paralax adjustment can sharpen up the image but the real pain is that the eye relief is really touchy at that mag.
Wind it back to about 20x & it is OK.

I have spoken to the importer about it & despite the Vortex Warranty being one of the best going, the jist of his message was to "wind the mag down a bit"
Pretty piss poor for a scope that cost me all but a grand.

VIP or GAGF Warranty?

Here's a snippet from another forum. Goes completely against your experience.

VIP or GAGF Warranty?

If you search the internet hard enough you can find pictures of Bigfoot.

It'll be interesting, I plan on calling Vortex after hunting season for this exact reason.