• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes vortex scopes

snakebyte922

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
Texas
Are these a new brand or am i just hearing about them? Is there any quality to the. Why are some $300 and others are $2000?

Re: vortex scopes

Razor's rock, good glass, nice reticles, and tough, like other scope companies they make a broad range of scopes, but IMHO the Razor line are the only ones to consider.

Depending on the type of shooting you're doing, as well as your budget, I'd recommend both the Viper PST and Razor products. Razor glass is cleeeeean, like Cobra mentioned above, but that's the extent of my familiarity with it is looking through it.

I have the Viper PST 1-4x MOA (second focal plane) on my 18" AR and it's great out to 600 yds on steel so far (400 on paper). I like the illumination in low light, and the zoom ring gives you multipliers at different magnifications IF you want to do any ranging using the MOA reticle. The FFP models are a little pricier but let you range with the reticle at any magnification.

Just use the Hide Search feature down and to the right of your screen and you'll find tons of info on these optics; pro's, con's, prices, features, etc. Good luck!

I am very interested in the Razor 5-20x with the EBR-2B retcle. How do these compare with the Mark 4 scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very interested in the Razor 5-20x with the EBR-2B retcle. How do these compare with the Mark 4 scopes? </div></div>

Very favorably, in my opinion. The Razor and Viper line, as others have mentioned, have excellent glass and good build quality.

I also was looking at a mark 4. I justed wanted some in put on these before I made a decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very interested in the Razor 5-20x with the EBR-2B retcle. How do these compare with the Mark 4 scopes? </div></div>

In my humble opinion, the Razor is superior in every aspect. However, I don't think that you can really compare them because the Razor is in a different class then the Mark 4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snakebyte922</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these a new brand or am i just hearing about them? Is there any quality to the. Why are some $300 and others are $2000? </div></div>

Actually Vortex makes a $99 Crossfire rifle scope at the absolute bottom of their line. They also make the Razor HD at the top end ($2000). I own both. The fact that they have "Vortex" printed on them and the warranty is the only similarities. Materials, glass, quality control are all vastly superior in the Razor. I would never think of putting a Crossfire on a duty rifle. The Razor works just fine in this capacity. The Razor currently sits on my AE MkII.

I have used Mark 4's for some time. The Razor is far superior in quality and in features.

I shot a Razor as described above for the past 4 months. I've owned several Mark 4's.

The MK4's can't hold a candle to the Razor. Not now nor probably ever in all aspects. Quality, Brightness, Clarity, Sharpness, Contrast, Durability, Design, Turrets, Reticles, Zero Stop etc. etc.

As previously said it is 2 different classes altogether.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Razor's rock, good glass, nice reticles, and tough, like other scope companies they make a broad range of scopes, but IMHO the Razor line are the only ones to consider. </div></div>

Did you have a bad experience with a Viper PST?

i think comparing the mark4 to the pst is alot closer. comparing the razor to a mark4 is like racing a corvette against a moped. its kind of lopsided.

I recently pick up a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP with the EBR1-MOA reticle and for the price I paid it has alot of nice features not found on similar priced scopes. However, on the Vortex line I would not look at anything other than the Viper and Razor series.

You can’t go wrong with either the PST or the Razors both are excellent and backed by a company that cares about it customers

And yes we run both models and use them well

I just bought a vortex pst 6-24x50 Ffp to mount on my rem 700 308, that is about all my budget would allow, you guys think it will be good for money and will the turrets hold up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nowayimissed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a vortex pst 6-24x50 Ffp to mount on my rem 700 308, that is about all my budget would allow, you guys think it will be good for money and will the turrets hold up? </div></div>
I just bought the same myself. In the price range, hard to do much better. Have not heard anything to make me think the turrets would not hold up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">after looking threw my Razor, my buddy is trying to sell his NF... </div></div>

i sold my nightforce and bought a razor. i could not be happier about my decision, but i had a nsx 5.5-22 so i was switching for the ffp not because i wasn't happy with the nf

Has anyone tested a viper pst on a mil scale target to see how well calibrated they are? I have one on order and was curious.

I checked mine at 100 meters dead nuts (laser ranged and verified with a 100 meter tape).

Took a piece of poster paper and with a magic marker divided it into 1 dm grids.

The scope was dead on per each 1 mil increment, elevation and windage.

interesting. I ask cause usually when there is an error if you call it that its in the upper ranges of the turrets. for example you have 20 mils elevation adjustment and dont start to see error until it gets near it and in total may only have 19. something or 20. something instead of an exact 20... just curious how accurate they were but ill take your word for it. Especially for the money i cant wait to get my PST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allghilliedup04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good that makes me feel a lot better. Did you go through the full range of both elevation and windage? </div></div>

Might want to check your own as well. As far as my reading is concerned, even the high dollar optics can have a lemon every now and then (fewer and far between, obviously). I have a 4-16 PST that I will be running tracking on within the next couple of weeks.

I shot with a few different razors. Overall a nice scope but I believe they are a bit over piced at 2k. That being said I just don't think the glass is as consistent or as good as a nightforce the zero stop leaves a lot to be desired and they are heavy a hell. FFp and 5-20 power are about it's only saving graces. Decent scope but I would be a while lot more impressed with it in the 14-1500 range

I have a Viper PST 6-24x50, sent it back for warranty work(debris flaking up internally on the lens) through the shop I purchased it at, after having it for only a month. That was around October, and I still haven't seen it. Guys at my shop say they keep giving different dates on arrival... I loved the scope while I had it though. Waiting patiently for a new one...

imo they are very competitive for every class of scope you get. great warranties also ive heard a few stories of low end scopes breaking 2-3 times and on the last send in them being upgraded to the next line

I think for the money....they are an excellent option. They are a company that stands behind their product...and actually listen to their consumers.....in terms of what we want. For Japanese sourced glass.....besides Sightron and Leupy...I think they do a great job!

Wayne

What do you see wrong with the zero stop? Mine has been rock solid and was super simple to set. That said, it's the only optic I have with a zero stop so I don't have anything to compare it to.

very interesting thread... i have been looking at the PST 6-24 sfp moa moa for a while as a back up or ar-15 scope, i think for the money that will be my next optic purchase, but i love my 5.5-22x56 npr1 h/s z/s NF. just put it on an ARMS QD35 mount and use it on 3 guns. but prefer to have an optic on each gun.

Just bought a 2.5-10x44 PST and the glass is very nice and clear even at 500y+-. I think it will serve me just fine for an AR (5.56) platform. The turrets are clean and solid. The zero stop feature does leave some to be desired. After I shim the hell out of it, it still rolls down 5.25 moa past zero. Not bad I suppose but I would have preferred to to stop within 1-2moa of zero.

I also own NF optics. The glass is not as good as my 5.5-22x50, but I'm ok with that. I didn't expect it to. Remember you get what you pay for. But I will say that the PST I have is worth every penny I paid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just bought a 2.5-10x44 PST and the glass is very nice and clear even at 500y+-. I think it will serve me just fine for an AR (5.56) platform. The turrets are clean and solid. The zero stop feature does leave some to be desired. After I shim the hell out of it, it still rolls down 5.25 moa past zero. Not bad I suppose but I would have preferred to to stop within 1-2moa of zero.

I also own NF optics. The glass is not as good as my 5.5-22x50, but I'm ok with that. I didn't expect it to. Remember you get what you pay for. But I will say that the PST I have is worth every penny I paid. </div></div>

thats about exactly what i was looking to hear... thanks TD

I haven't had much time behind my Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA (still waiting on the rifle), but those that I've talked to that have Vortex Viper and Razor products think they are a great value for the money. While the Viper is not as nice as a NF, I don't think it's in the same class and it's not fair to compare the two. For my limited budget, it seems to be a great value. While I haven't had much time behind the glass, I've contacted their customer support and I have to say they're a pleasure to deal with and they stand behind their products.

had a buddy of mine talk to a rep at the shot show about something as simple as the scope bubble level.. the bubble breaking up on recoil and having to wait for it to settle for the follow on shot... rep said send it back and we will replace it and fix the problem no questions asked.. sounds like they are determined to have good costumer service from what ive heard.

They've been around plenty with good reviews. I've got a PST that is outstanding. My shooting buddy just got the Razor with the EBR-2b. It arrive today from a Hide member. It's new in box and he's getting it mounted now. I'm excited to hear what he thinks about it.

I won't say that I don't like my Mark 4--I do like it. It is good glass and tracks great. But I think that they are overrated. Optically it isn't any better than my Sightron SIII and I won't buy another Mark 4 when I can get a Sightron for a bunch less or a NF for a little more.