• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex scopes

Jkling12

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2014
NE Indiana
I am looking to buy a scope for my new Remington 700 .308 build. It's mainly going to punch paper and steel but I might deer and coyote hunt with it. I plan on changing the stock and trigger to gain accuracy. I will shoot 5-600 yards most often but might play with longer range shots. I own Burris, Leupold, and nikons now. I keep hearing great things about Vortex and might be interested in trying one. Id like to stay around 450$. What do you guys recommend? I did find a 4-16x44 vortex viper HS Lr for 400$ and think that might be a good deal.

Please no Nightforce ect comments. Thanks

A SWFA SS 6x might be good if you want to do both hunting and long range stuff. Also look at the Leupold Mark AR 3-9. Looks like a descent scope, but never had one to be honest. Nice features and within your price range. Light too.

I would typically think a higher-magnification scope with a low budget is usually not a good idea. Specially if you want to hunt with it. You can do a lot with a nice 3-9 or fixed lower power scope.

But the Vortex Viper 2.5-10 is actually pretty nice. Its to my understanding that the Viper is the same glass as the PST just different reticles turrets and etc.. But for a hunting scope its got everything you need.

The Vortex would be an excellent choice for your needs and price range.

I went with the deal from Cameraland. How can you beat that!! I will gladly take an "open box" special after reading reviews of Vortex's customer service all night. Thanks for the comments. I am a new member and have learned lots off this forum already.

I like Vortex. I've owned Nightforce optics and never have been real impressed. The Viper should serve you well. What reticle did you get?

I went with the deal from Cameraland. How can you beat that!! I will gladly take an "open box" special after reading reviews of Vortex's customer service all night. Thanks for the comments. I am a new member and have learned lots off this forum already.

Glad you jumped on the deal! That model is a nice blend of a target and hunting scope along with the BDC reticule is just icing on it. At that price...it's hard to pass up. I've used this model since the HS line first came out on my .300Win Mag hunting rifle and been quite pleased.

If you have a chance fill out your location in your profile so people know which part of the US you reside in. You will meet more people on the Hide that way.

I just became a Customer Service rep for Vortex thru OSMG and Cabela`s. Ive been a fan of their products and service for several years. Cabela`s grand opening next weekend in Greenville ,SC. If anyone on the hide is in the area Sat & Sun, I have some discount cards I will be passing out at the Vortex counter.

Just left the new cabelas in SC. Only low end vortex optics at this location. Geared more towards hunters in the south.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with a Vortex! I have owned 2 Vortex scopes now, most recent being the Viper 6.5-20x50mm mil dot. I have it mounted on a Savage in 308, and although It has only seen about 100 rounds through it I am very happy with how accurate the turrets track and how clear the glass is. The only negatives as of right now that I can say about the optic is that the magnification bar is stiff and takes some force to turn up or down, and the eye relief isn't as good as I hoped it would be. Other than that I am very pleased and would not hesitate to purchase that scope again, or any other Vortex product.