• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex spotters

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Is the Vortex Razor HD spotter really worth $700 more than the Viper HD? Other than having the ability to change to a reticle eye piece, what are the differences?

Re: Vortex spotters

I just purchased a Razor HD from Sport Optics It seems very nice. I have no experience with the Viper. I went with the Razor so I could get the MOA eye piece.

I don't have experience with the Razors. But I do own a Viper HD and find the glass to very nice. Especially for the price. But I do think think the tactical eyepiece option of the Razor makes it worth the extra money.

The only difference you'll see is at higher magnification; (30x)+ where the Razor will have better clarity.

I've got a Razor HD spotter and I love it. With a lens attachment, I connect my wife's Cannon Rebel to the spotting scope and take pics from 20x - 60x. Plus with the camera, I can toggle from photos to video and it allows me to take video of shooting a stage at long distances.

Vortex sells the attachment for your camera as well. Give them a call.

I have the Razor and love it. I haven't seen The Viper.

What finally made me pull the trigger on it was a review I read. This guy was a well know optics reviewer. He said first place goes to Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss, and he said it was to close to call, and all three were nearly the same. What he said next was that the Razor is definitely 4th. However, the difference between the top three to the Razor was very small. When you consider that the Razor is half as much money and includes the 20-60 eyepiece (the others do not) you realize that its an amazing buy.

+1. Same reason I purchased the Razor. At that level it becomes a case of diminishing returns. The Razor runs up there with the big dogs, but at a much more palatable price point. Many folks (myself included) cannot appreciate the difference for many uses, but the difference in cost is readily apparent.

I picked up my Razor off of SWFA's sample list for $1200. I'd buy another one at full price if I had the need. It's a great scope for the money and has a lifetime warranty to back it up.

Can't comment on the Viper HD's as they weren't out when I got the Razor.

I have used Vortex Razor. It's a very nice spotting scope. It has Mg metal body. Viper is no comparison to Razor. Too much color fringing at the edge field of view. It's also fragile with plastic body. If your budget allows, definitely go get the Razor HD. Another option is ZEN ED2 20-60x82mm spotter, which is probably built by the same factory as Razor HD. I bought Razor 30x tactical EP and it fits nicely on my 82mm ZEN ED2 body. They have a $200 off discount coupon listed on that page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cloudt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used Vortex Razor. It's a very nice spotting scope. It has Mg metal body. Viper is no comparison to Razor. Too much color fringing at the edge field of view. It's also fragile with plastic body. </div></div>

Viper has a thick rubber armor on the outside - not plastic. On the lower powers (20-30x), I would say that the Viper HD does a pretty good job holding its own against the Razor HD but once you get into the higher power range, the Razor really shines. And for your comment about the Razor and Zen being made in the same factory - Pretty sure the Zen is Made in China while the Razor HD is made in Japan.

I've never seen the Zen spotting scope before, but I have seen a pair of their binoculars and they were pretty decent optically but seriously lacked on build quality.

Before you make a post about something, try and have your own personal experience with it before making assumptions or going off of what other fan boys are saying.

I have used two different Razor spotting scopes for over two years.
In my opinion-Yes they are worth the extra money.