• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Vortex Spotting Scopes???

mulie_mike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
West Texas
www.westtexashuntorg.com
Who has one and how do you like it?
I am looking at the more economical Viper HD but if there is a big difference between that one and the Razor HD I might as well fork out the cash for the Razor.

How do they compare to Swaro's spotting scopes?
No one near me sells them so I cant check them out first hand.

Any experiences would be appreciated!

Re: Vortex Spotting Scopes???

I had the HD and it was extremely clear glass. Downside is you have to pay extra for the reticle eye piece and it is a fixed power. I sold mine and went with the leupold 12-40 with TMR reticle. Not as clear but much less bulky and cheaper.

With that said, if you are doing bench type stuff and don't need a reticle it is great glass

I have the Razor HD and use it on the range almost exclusively. It is very clear and the glass is very good. I wish the standard eyepiece had the mil reticle in it like the fixed one does. It is big in size which may or may not be an issue for your use. Not sure how far West you are, but if in the Dallas area you are welcome to look at mine.

If you want great glass look no farther than Pentax.
The spotting scopes Achilles heel is the eyepiece and Pentax offers the best on the market....by several times. The overall image is near perfect even with the variable power eyepiece.
The Pentax can not be beat price wise.

If you want a spotting scope to last a lifetime go Swarovski.
No better optically than Pentax, but I think the long term build will be better.

Peace

I have a Razor HD. Love it!

My dad has a Swarovski. His is around 10 years old or so. When he looked through mine, and then his he was more than a little pissed.

I have no doubt that the newest Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica is clearer, but nearly twice the dough. I read a bunch of reviews before I bought the Razor, and they all said that the three above were all neck and neck, but 4th place was definitely the Razor, and not by very far.

I own a Razor 80HD. I bought the 20-60 and the 30x with ranging reticle. Mostly I use the 20-60 eyepiece. Great clarity and stacked up well against my shooting partner's new Swaro.

I ROed a match and spent the days looking thru a Razor HD, trace was super easy to pick up, I was calling out impact before the bullet hit the target, I wouldn't even consider the Viper, the Razor simply rocks.

Another big thumbs up for the Razor. In addition to the features listed above, I really the fine focus knob and the fact that you can turn the [angled] eyepiece to the side by rotating the body of the scope. Very useful when shooting prone. I routinely use it to spot .308 holes in Shoot-N-C targets at 600 yd. Although I've never tried it, I'm guessing that under conditions of moderate to low mirage, I could probably spot them with it pretty easily at up to 800 yd. I can easily spot hits on steel targets at the max. distance at my range (887 yd).

Wife got me the 20-60x60mm Vortex Nomad angled eyepiece for Christmas on Amazon for appx $330. I believe the Nomad is a lot like a Viper with a lightweight shell.

Weather has been unsat for shooting up here this close to Canada, but I did sneak a quick peek at 250yd around New Years, and I anticipate no problems spotting 22 cal holes with it out to that distance. Really sharp and clear at full power. Very happy with it.

My prior optic was a 20-60x60 Simmons cheapie, and I had no idea how badly I had handicapped myself with that until I got this Nomad.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want great glass look no farther than Pentax.
The spotting scopes Achilles heel is the eyepiece and Pentax offers the best on the market....by several times. The overall image is near perfect even with the variable power eyepiece.
The Pentax can not be beat price wise.

If you want a spotting scope to last a lifetime go Swarovski.
No better optically than Pentax, but I think the long term build will be better.

Peace</div></div>

I agree, the Pentax edges out the Zeiss spotting scope easily at 1/3rd the price. The clarity is amazing with the fixed eyepieces.

I can't speak fore there spotters, however I do have a 1-4 and a monocular and for the international we used a set of binos. they have great glass and awesome customer service. Fore the money it seams they can't b beat.

I've been extremly pleased with my Razor. Even though the milling reticle is a fixed 30x, the wide field of view and clarity make up for the lack of mag.

Excellent spotter.

I have the Razor HD and it’s very clear and sharp. Its a large scope which can be an issue for field use but at the range it works great. Like others have said it would have been nice to have the reticle in the standard eyepiece.

Also have the angled Razor. Works great for range use. Also used it this past fall out deer hunting in the wide open prarie of North Dakota. I would highly recommend it for locating animals at long distance. Yes, it's a bigger scope, but if you can live with that, get one.

There are several articles comparing the Razor to the top alpha glass, and the Razor holds it's own for much less money. I would buy another without a second thought. However, since Vortex's warranty is so good, that will never be an issue.

Vortex recently posted a picture of a Razor spotter on facebook. A gentleman had been out on a hunting trip and had an accidental firearm discharge putting a bullet hole through the barrel of the scope. The scope continued to preform thoughout the hunt. He sent the scope back to Vortex, and they replaced it under warranty for him free of charge, even though the mishap wasn't Vortex's fault. Speaks volumes for their V.I.P. warranty.