• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex strike eagle 5-25 ffp

with a shoulder 2 weeks out of an op it was difficult but i had a chance to install mine and i have to say that the eye relief is good at all magnifications. i have my rifle in an ESS chassis and the adjustability of the buttstock might be whats letting me have a better result than yourself perhaps?
It’s possible. I’m probably just nitpicking but I could tell a difference between 20x and below like on most scopes. The other scope I was shooting next to was a Razor so that may be why I noticed it. Again I stated I thought the eye relief was good overall.

Reactions: Gee Kay
Picked up one of these scopes barely used in the PX this past week. A confession from a self-described scope snob (first time I've owned this tier of scope before). I'll admit, the turrets are pretty mushy (relatively speaking), but they align 100% with the hash marks on both E&W. A quick eyeball through the glass, and I'll admit I am pleasantly surprised for a $595 value scope.

Its going on a new 22lr setup, will drop by with some more updates once everything is put together.
Where did you find it for that price?

I tested on out to see what it was all about on my 338LM and was pretty pleasantly surprised. I don't have anything terrible to say about it and with the price tag no shame in having one or two around when you don't wanna drop 2K plus on optics.

Hey Guys, I have been comparing the pst gen2 to the strike eagle and have a question. I read earlier in the thread someone saying they don’t like the zero stop on the strike eagle as it eats elevation. Am I correct that even though it eats elevation it still has almost the same overall adjustment as the ps2 gen 2.
Strike eagle with zero stop 19 MRAD
PST gen 2 elevation 20 MRAD

thanks guys
You are correct!

Actually that 20 MOA in the Gen II PST is the TOTAL elevation. So 10 up and 10 down and if you run a 20 MOA base it will be about 15.8 up and 4.2 down. With a 30 MOA base you will get in the same area as the SE with the zero stop installed. The only place that this would be an issue with either is in the rimfire realm. In centerfire both of those is a lot of elevation and gets you out past 1000 yards.

Mine when mounted and zeroed on my Tikka T1x on a 30 MOA area 419 base Had about 8 Mil down so I had no need to use the Zero Stop. Now I have it mounted and zeroed on my 6.5 creedmoor with a 20 moa base with the zero stop installed I have right at 19 mils of up. That will get me as far as Im gonna shoot.

Reactions: Rob01
OK Folks, I got the new SE 5-25 and have been doing a few tests with it. First I compared it to my old Athlon Helos BTR for glass quality. Hmmm, No Comparison! The SE was much brighter, better edge to edge clarity and had absolutely no image distortion I could find. The Helos by comparison showed quite a bit of image distortion as I panned the scope. I did notice some chromatic aberration but had to pick out some sever contrasting object to make it happen and only at high 20+ mag. Next, the truth stick, as T-Rex says. Reticle matched perfectly and turrets tracked to reticle out to 10 mils. Lastly, out to the range. At 100 yards, reticle still matched perfectly and was able to confirm shot placements to 6.5 mils elevation and to 4 mils windage.

I have not been able to confirm tracking accuracy to the limits of the adjustments, but so far seems to be spot on. Also, parallax is also good to go. It is not hyper precise but really close, like 110 indicated for 100 yards range. The only minor issue noted, as others have found, that when turrets adjusted about 1/2 way around they are about 1/3 of a click off and then line right back up upon a full rotation. Kinda weird, but if that's the only drawback, call me ecstatic. And got it for $609 on sale at SportOptics.

Reactions: Frankr
I just got mine and they are off exactly like yours (MIL version here too). They line up perfectly at 0, but start gradually misaligning as you turn and when you get to 4, 5, 6 they get further off until at 6 the line is right in the middle, and then at 7, 8, 9 they start to get closer to matching up. Same thing on the windage.

Guys, should I return it? I'm new to this, but it seems like not knowing if I'm at 6 mils or 6.1 mils would be a problem at longer ranges.
Mine is about 1/3 click off at 1/2 rotation and spot on at 0.

So looks like I got a dud. Got my strike eagle 2 days ago. Mounted/torqued it on my 22lr trainer. The mag ring felt really loose and easy to turn. It actually moves forward and back slightly (not turning, actual play forward and back). I got down behind the rifle and noticed that when I am 25x and back off the magnification slowly, the reticle actually jumps vertically. Took it right back off and packaged it back up to send back.

And yes I am very used to higher quality optics (razor gen2, cronus btr, eotech vudu, etc) just thought I could get away with something like this for my trainer.

It has the spec of my S&B and with lifetime warranty hard to go wrong. But i’d Like to hear from someone that’s bought the strike eagle

It has the spec of my S&B and with lifetime warranty hard to go wrong.
538.jpg

The strike Eagle is no S&B. It’s a good scope, I have 2 of them, but it’s no top tier optic. It wasn’t designed or marketed to be top tier.

I have one It is pretty solid for the money. Parallex is extremely hard to turn. Under perfect lighting its ok up to 25x but in reality anything over 20x is pretty poor. I bought it for my rimfire but ran it on my 6.5 Creedmoor for the Hornady Precision hunter match and I dont feel like it handicapped me. I have it on my PRS gun now and it is working out pretty good. But comparing it side by side with my Bushnell LRTS the Bushnell has better glass by far. I am getting used to reticle at first it was too busy for me but I am growing fonder of it the more I use it.

I have one It is pretty solid for the money. Parallex is extremely hard to turn. Under perfect lighting its ok up to 25x but in reality anything over 20x is pretty poor. I bought it for my rimfire but ran it on my 6.5 Creedmoor for the Hornady Precision hunter match and I dont feel like it handicapped me. I have it on my PRS gun now and it is working out pretty good. But comparing it side by side with my Bushnell LRTS the Bushnell has better glass by far. I am getting used to reticle at first it was too busy for me but I am growing fonder of it the more I use it.
Many thx and I love the price but just didn’t know about the quality but sounds from your experience pretty good At the price. I shoot PRS so the Christmas tree reticle is great for wind calls. You’ll get used to us and works well. Many thx for the feedback
regards
rick

ROFL its spec'ed all but no where near the same class. Its when you get them side/side that the differences really come out which is usually in the area of the glass.

They are a good starter scope for the PRS but they ain't as good as the Nightforce.

Thanks for all the shared wisdom in all these recent posts BUT I do not think anyone on here is confusing a $600 scope with a $3k scope.

Use it and it loosens up some. No issues turning it with a couple fingers.

Quick question: the scopes with the misaligned turrets, are the actual adjustments off or just the turret hash marks? Mine has turrets that come out of alignment after around 2 or 3 mils of adjustment, and I'm debating if I want to unmount it or just shoot it and see what happens. With an infant my time to get to the range has disappeared for the time being.

Quick question: the scopes with the misaligned turrets, are the actual adjustments off or just the turret hash marks? Mine has turrets that come out of alignment after around 2 or 3 mils of adjustment, and I'm debating if I want to unmount it or just shoot it and see what happens. With an infant my time to get to the range has disappeared for the time being.
I think that the turret markings are machined wrong, but I know a guy on here had new caps sent to him and it still didn't work. I would call Vortex and tell them you have the issue and they will fix it. The one I got back from Vortex is good to go. Its a known problem with this scope.

On mine the alignment marks seem off but the tracking is fine. But I’ve only taken it to 6.1 mils.

I picked one of these up just to check it out. Does the parallax on anyone else make a strange clicking sound when you turn it?

Mine is like this, the "closest" range of the parallax if you twist it fast it almost feels/sounds like a zipper, get past about 50-75yds and it's smooth again. Aside the "vibration" It seems to adjust just fine. Almost sounds like running your fingernail over a "ridged" machined scope sunshade. Can't notice it out of the rings, but starts and gets worse with about 10 in/lbs of clamping pressure in a Seekins MXM and NF unimount, but by 18 in/lbs it's pretty bad in either. My guess is something is binding/rubbing with Vortex's notoriously thin scope tube. Seems to adjust fine, I haven't gotten around to sending it in, but might soon for winter downtime.

Can't complain for the price I paid, but not sure they are worth $700 when you can get a PST Gen 2 for $800 or less these days. Unless you specifically got it for the huge elevation adjustment, have a mount that will let you take advantage of it, and don't care about the lack of a zero stop to use it.

Last edited:
Checked and no clicking in mine and I torque my ring caps to 20 in/lbs. No problems.

Mine is like this, the "closest" range of the parallax if you twist it fast it almost feels/sounds like a zipper, get past about 50-75yds and it's smooth again. [snip]

That's not normal from the few I've handled. I'd contact Vortex and get it repaired.

If someone is in the market...

$599 is hard to beat. 1 left. I thought it was an awesome value when I bought my first one for $699 to put on my Tikka T1x in a KRG Bravo. I could not resist ordering another for my 6.5cm AR build at this price.

Last edited:
Drove over my savage 22 that had the Strike Eagle in Arken Halo rings on it with my Suburban 2 weeks ago(Don't Ask). Straight over the rear half of the scope. Ground was soft and it was pressed into dirt pretty good.

Gun was off like 20 mils straight to the right when I tested it right after...even with cranking the windage all the way I was still 1.5 mils off impact. Also with elevation it stopped tracking halfway up.

Took scope off and cleaned it off and cranked back and forth and set back to zero as before thanks to zero stop.

Mounted it and shot and was 4 mils off center travel on windage and dead nuts on elevation. Scope tracks perfect all the way.

• Wow
Reactions: Mk12 and TahoeDust
Drove over my savage 22 that had the Strike Eagle in Arken Halo rings on it with my Suburban 2 weeks ago(Don't Ask). Straight over the rear half of the scope. Ground was soft and it was pressed into dirt pretty good.

Gun was off like 20 mils straight to the right when I tested it right after...even with cranking the windage all the way I was still 1.5 mils off impact. Also with elevation it stopped tracking halfway up.

Took scope off and cleaned it off and cranked back and forth and set back to zero as before thanks to zero stop.

Mounted it and shot and was 4 mils off center travel on windage and dead nuts on elevation. Scope tracks perfect all the way.

You know Vortex will take that back and check/fix/replace it for you free of charge right?

You know Vortex will take that back and check/fix/replace it for you free of charge right?
Yeah I know, that's a big reason I have the scope. I can't find anything really wrong with it to justify sending it back just yet except the mag ring is a bit loose, meaning I can slide it fwd and back a slight amount. Oh and windage zero being 4 mils different then it was, could be tweaking of the gun and not the scope I tell myself.

Reactions: Rob01
Yeah I know, that's a big reason I have the scope. I can't find anything really wrong with it to justify sending it back just yet except the mag ring is a bit loose, meaning I can slide it fwd and back a slight amount. Oh and windage zero being 4 mils different then it was, could be tweaking of the gun and not the scope I tell myself.
I bet you could send it in anyway and they’d still fix it.

I bet you could send it in anyway and they’d still fix it.
Yes i assume they would.

However, several days after posting that my windage zero was 4 mils off but everything else was fine, i lay down to
shoot again and missed to the right exactly 4 mils. I had not reset my turret yet and simply turned it back to zero. Gun is now exactly zeroed as before.

After driving over it, removing scope and rings from gun, scope from rings, and remounting everything, and several days later, it has returned to exactly the same zero as before. Scratching my head for sure.

However, several days after posting that my windage zero was 4 mils off but everything else was fine, i lay down to
shoot again and missed to the right exactly 4 mils. I had not reset my turret yet and simply turned it back to zero. Gun is now exactly zeroed as before.

After driving over it, removing scope and rings from gun, scope from rings, and remounting everything, and several days later, it has returned to exactly the same zero as before. Scratching my head for sure.

“It’s not a bug, it’s a feature!”