• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex variable or SWFA fixed??

TB2Blazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2010
Cleveland, GA
Looking to buy a new scope for my 700 AAC-SD .308. Shooting mostly from 100-800 with an occasional 1000 yard shot just for fun. The scope on it before was a Bushnell 3200 10x fixed power with the mil dot reticle mil/mil and I'm looking to upgrade a bit to something with a little more power for longer ranges. Will be target shooting targets mostly but sometimes will take it hunting. I'm looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm that has the variable zoom with side focus parallax in mil dot or the SWFA SS 12x42 tactical. I can get the SWFA in mil/mil which I have used before and like but it is fixed power, the Vortex is moa/mil but has the variable power. I like the SWFA reticle and mil/mil setup but also like the Vortex variable power with more power and side focus. My question is would it be better to go with the mil/mil SWFA and stick with the mil/mil setup and be limited to fixed power or switch to the Vortex with the moa/mil setup but have variable/stronger power and side focus?

I have had great results with the ss scopes, and I never liked having "low end" scopes. I will offer a tip though. 12x will be a bit much in my opinion for the shooting you are describing. More magnification takes away from the clarity until you get into very high end optics.
Also, I regularly shoot out to 1200 yds, and much prefer a straight 10. Also doesn't cut down your FOV at closer ranges. I also feel you get more quality for your dollar in a fixed x, because of material and engineering/construction cost.

This is just my opinion, hope it helps. Pick one and start using the hell out of it!!!!!!

SS fixie by a mile...

A budget scope, and $350 is certainly budget, isn't the place for variables or high X's.

I love my SWFA 10x. I like the clicks and fit and finish more than my $900 Bushnell. I might sell the bushy and buy the 3-15 SWFA. I love the mil quad reticle too.

The answer to your question is the weaver grandslam tactical 3-10x from Midwayusa.
Yes, it's only ten power, but you get the variable option and it is mil/mil.
Much better for hunting and it is available for 300 dollars

Well I never even thought to look at the grand slam. How does it compare to the SWFA?

It is a good quality, Japanese made scope. Wire reticle with a standard mil dot.
They are very nice scopes, my Dad has two. The glass is quite nice, the finish even.
While I appreciate the enhanced design of the mil-quad, I think that the utility of the variable power surpasses the fixed 10x with an enhanced mil-dot.

Im not looking for anything more expensive. These are the 2 I have narrowed it down to.

Sell your bushnell for say 150, add another 100 to that 350 and you can get a 4-16 PST from Cameralandny as a demo model. Leupold M3s, SWFA 3-9, SWFA 10X HD they are all around there too. The 3-10 weaver FDKay suggested is good too but not much different than the bushnell you have right now practically speaking.

Sell your bushnell for say 150, add another 100 to that 350 and you can get a 4-16 PST from Cameralandny as a demo model. Leupold M3s, SWFA 3-9, SWFA 10X HD they are all around there too. The 3-10 weaver FDKay suggested is good too but not much different than the bushnell you have right now practically speaking.

if not this i would and did go with the swfa 10x42. i just sold mine but only because it started a snow ball effect. where my swfa 10x42 was once a crazy expenditure 300 bucks for a scope. it soon became my cheapest scope as my love affair with scopes blossomed. i now own or have owned one of a lot mid priced tactical scopes. you can find $300 rifles that will shoot like $1200 rifles but you will not find a $300 dollar scope with glass and tracking like a $1200 scope. but the swfa 10x42 is the closest i have seen. the glass is ok the tracking is great

Yeah, $350 isnt that crazy for me I just cant justify spending much more than that for a gun that I shoot every once in a while and sometimes hunt with. I rarely shoot at longer distances but I like the capability of being able to. If I wasnt halfway through building my MK12 MOD1 I would designate more funds for a better scope but most of the funds are going to the MK12 build.

Yeah, $350 isnt that crazy for me I just cant justify spending much more than that for a gun that I shoot every once in a while and sometimes hunt with. I rarely shoot at longer distances but I like the capability of being able to. If I wasnt halfway through building my MK12 MOD1 I would designate more funds for a better scope but most of the funds are going to the MK12 build.

Leave it alone then. There's nothing wrong with the bushnell 10x and unless you can spend double or triple that 350 it's just wasted money.

I really like the leupold mark ar but can you get turrets for the .308 instead of .223 and in the mil/mil configuration?