• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper 10x42 HD's - Are they Really That Good?

Theo98

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2013
SE La.
My first hunting binos were the Leupold Cascades BX-2's...worked okay glassing at deep dusk and helped me take my 1st deer this past season. Alas, I wanted to get a wider FOV and the original McKinley BX-4's came in at Midway recently for a really sweet deal. Picked them up...however, they weren't as tact sharp as the BX-2's, didn't have a locking diopter and had a stiff focus and too large eye cups, so returned them. Thought I'd like the Mojave BX-3's (60yds wider FOV over the 2's) till I got to compare them directly to the Vortex Viper HD 10x42's in Cabelas...WOW...Overall Optical Performance, Hands Down Winner...Vipers! I then kept switching between the Vipers and the Swaro 10x42 EL's (I know, not a fair comparison, but...). How is it the Viper HD's have at least 95% of the optical quality in color, low light, sharpness and resolution (to my eyes) at only 23% of the cost...Amazing!

I decided to hit the on line reviews of these "middle of the road" binos. Discovered that out of 257 owner\user reviews over the past 3 years (6 big name optic sellers), the average rating was 4.94 out of 5! There were Many over-the-top comments at how the Viper HD's compete equally with those at 2x to 3x the cost...Really Amazing!!

Well, my question is, are these Vipers Really That Good...are my 20\10 eyes (new-cataract surgery :)) and these overwhelming reviews really to be trusted? Comments welcome...

Ted

I have a lot of Vortex product experience and yes, the Viper HD line is a very good value. However they are no match for the Swaro El's when you factor in actual field conditions. A better comparison would be the Vortex Razor HD series...these are an exceptional value and actually are comparable to the higher end Euro glass. I have/use both and am very impressed with Vortex.

For the price point, however the Viper HD's are best in class.

The Viper HD binos are utterly fantastic for the buck but they won't stand a chance in comparison with the Swarovski Swarovision binoculars. Not even the Razor HD binos, which in their turn are great binoculars, will beat the Swarovisions. Actually, nothing I have looked at so far managed to beat them. Not Zeiss HT, not Leica Ultravid HD, not Razor HD none managed to beat them.

However Viper HD come at a very low cost which I think is a very tough one to beat and when you match that with the warranty they offer they are very attractive. But if you have the money, go for the Swarovski Swarovision, you won't regret it.

DRV & SC,

Thanks for the comments. My goal is get the best-I-can around my $400-$600 budget. I've glassed with the Swaro El's at the range and did comparison shopping at the B&M. They are probably the best ever made...Period! However, I am a practical kind of guy and typically look for the "dollar value" in a product category. You know, not too cheap, but also not a -no holds bared $$$ expenditure-. Your observations help confirm my findings...the Viper HD's should be a good middle-of-the-road purchase...for Me!

Thanks,
Ted

I've had a pair of the Viper HDs for one hunting season have been very impressed. I did a lot of shopping around and for the money they are a fantastic value.

-R

DRV & SC,

Thanks for the comments. My goal is get the best-I-can around my $400-$600 budget. I've glassed with the Swaro El's at the range and did comparison shopping at the B&M. They are probably the best ever made...Period! However, I am a practical kind of guy and typically look for the "dollar value" in a product category. You know, not too cheap, but also not a -no holds bared $$$ expenditure-. Your observations help confirm my findings...the Viper HD's should be a good middle-of-the-road purchase...for Me!

Thanks,
Ted

I would actually dare state that they are probably some of the best "middle-of-the-road binoculars" that you can actually get. They and the Razor HD are also the only ones that Vortex makes in Japan and you kinda see that in their optics.

I am getting to be a bit of a vortex whore. I run them almost exclusively on my rifles. but that being said I leave there binos alone they are too damn heavy you start lugging them around your neck all day its killer. I run nikon monarchs they are nice and light and I would say on par opticaly with the viper HD. Just my $.02

For about $420, you can get the Vortex Talon. It is same quality glass as the Vipers, just a bit bigger.

Thanks everyone for your comments. All suggestions were considered. however I finally chose the Viper HD 10x42's and will have them in hand next week for review. In my shopping experience, I found their ergonomics excellent (size-feel-weight), they fit my face very well, were comfortable to hold and the optics were very sharp and clear with great resolution and color fidelity. Seemed overall to be the "best for my money". Added to all of that is one of the Best Warranties in the business...hard to loose!

In short order, I'll put em through the test runs and report back my findings for anyone interested!

Ted

Thanks everyone for your comments. All suggestions were considered. however I finally chose the Viper HD 10x42's and will have them in hand next week for review. In my shopping experience, I found their ergonomics excellent (size-feel-weight), they fit my face very well, were comfortable to hold and the optics were very sharp and clear with great resolution and color fidelity. Seemed overall to be the "best for my money". Added to all of that is one of the Best Warranties in the business...hard to loose!

In short order, I'll put em through the test runs and report back my findings for anyone interested!

Ted

My experience was similar, I tried out a ton of binos and the viper 8x really stood out for the price. I recently went bino shopping as well and thought that the Meopros, Vipers and Meostars were the 3 overall best binos in the 1000$ or less category.

The warranty on vortex is awesome - especially if you are as hard on equipment as I am. Good glass does have weight to it - I use a harness rather than having my neck carry the load.

Has anybody compared the vortex diamondback 10x50 to the viper hd's? I have not looked through the vipers but have the diamondbacks. Best binos ive had were the bushnells I have now that came in a package deal with their scout 1000 rangefinder.
So the diamondbacks blew what I have out of the water. Just wondering in your opinions if the viper hd is worth it to the average joe.

Has anybody compared the vortex diamondback 10x50 to the viper hd's? I have not looked through the vipers but have the diamondbacks. Best binos ive had were the bushnells I have now that came in a package deal with their scout 1000 rangefinder.
So the diamondbacks blew what I have out of the water. Just wondering in your opinions if the viper hd is worth it to the average joe.

Bloodsport06,

I'm an "average joe" and Yes, the 10x24 HD Vipers I looked through made me give back the Diamonbacks immediately to the sales rep...didn't even consider them in the running for my next pair! The Viper HD's were clearly brighter, sharper, had a greater DOF with superior resolution. Actually, they were easier on the eye relief and offered better balance and color fidelity. For the $$$, there was nothing wrong with the Diamonbacks. They were very close to my current Leupold BX-3 Mohaves in optical quality, but just not on par as the Viper HD's.

Of course, you can make the same comparison claim for $1000+ German\Euro\Austrian etc. binos compared to the Viper HD's and state They are worth 2X to 5X the price. However, I believe there to be an area of diminishing returns of price vs performance. When you have an excellent mid. (or a little higher), price\performance product (like the Viper HD's), to step up becomes an exponentially higher cost investment to gain "best-of-the-best perfection".

Some people just look at cost, period. To others, cost is not a criteria, they just want the Best. Only you can decide if it is worthwhile to not pay too much or too little for what your needs are! Just My cheap .02 cents! ;)

Ted

Well put.... The Viper HDs would be my choice "if" I could only have one pair of binos under $1000, for all uses....

Bloodsport06,

I'm an "average joe" and Yes, the 10x24 HD Vipers I looked through made me give back the Diamonbacks immediately to the sales rep...didn't even consider them in the running for my next pair! The Viper HD's were clearly brighter, sharper, had a greater DOF with superior resolution. Actually, they were easier on the eye relief and offered better balance and color fidelity. For the $$$, there was nothing wrong with the Diamonbacks. They were very close to my current Leupold BX-3 Mohaves in optical quality, but just not on par as the Viper HD's.

Of course, you can make the same comparison claim for $1000+ German\Euro\Austrian etc. binos compared to the Viper HD's and state They are worth 2X to 5X the price. However, I believe there to be an area of diminishing returns of price vs performance. When you have an excellent mid. (or a little higher), price\performance product (like the Viper HD's), to step up becomes an exponentially higher cost investment to gain "best-of-the-best perfection".

Some people just look at cost, period. To others, cost is not a criteria, they just want the Best. Only you can decide if it is worthwhile to not pay too much or too little for what your needs are! Just My cheap .02 cents! ;)

Ted

Well put.... The Viper HDs would be my choice "if" I could only have one pair of binos under $1000, for all uses....

Thanks Scott...mine will be in hand on Wednesday...I'll run it through the optical paces (bright light-low light-no light, etc.) and report back here!

Ted

Just wondering in your opinions if the viper hd is worth it to the average joe.

If you hunt a lot and want a really good bino, but can't spend for the big names I'd say yes it is worth it they are really solid binoculars. Lots of people like the Zen Ray ED2s and Vortex Talons as well and neither of those are super-expensive, you should be able to find a pair for 350$. Whatever you get don't go higher than a 8x42 there's no need for it.

Ted

Well, I have to report a disappointment in the Viper HD's. Long story short, I could not get past My perceived "fish eye" or "tunnel vision" effect I'd experienced in their FOV. Overall 2-week observation and use was Sharpness, check...Clarity, check...Color, check...Ergonomics, check...Build Quality, check. However to My Eyes, I found the "in focus" FOV narrow, causing me to experience dizziness whenever I panned side to side. My BX-3's never did this and although they are rated only 7ft wider, they always seemed to present a more natural and flatter FOV. In fairness, my son (who uses Swaro EL's) didn't experience the same negative effects and really liked the vipers!

I too really wanted to like the Vipers, thus returned to the B&M retailer for more comparisons. I spent over 3 hrs early one AM in detailed viewing between 10 -10X42's (over $9K in optics) ranging the BX-3's, to the Vipers & Razors, all the way up to the Swaro EL's! The store assigned an optics expert to assist me in my shopping task. I took my time and tried to evaluate objectively and fairly all of the range of "great glass" I was seeing through. My 5 major findings were:

1. SWARO HD SLC's...Outstanding Optics (as I've read), Best Clarity and Sharpness...PERIOD!
2. Cabelas Euros HD...Excellent Optics and a good choice to save some $$$. Very, very close to the Razors in excellent optics, but much Heavier!
3. Meopta Meopros...Very Nice Optics, not keen on the ergonomics though.
4. Vortex Vipers...Very good, but store copy gave me same "fish eye" effect...returned mine for full credit.
5. Leupold BX-3's...Store copy Worked Very Well for MY Eyes and compare Very Favorably (95% equal) to the SLC's at only 1\4 of $$$!! I know, a contradiction from my first post, but I'm sticking to my newest findings!

For now, my BX-3's are keepers, maybe till I can save up for the SLC's ;) !