• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vortex Viper 4-16 vs 5-25

Kevin876996

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2020
I am looking to mount a CZ 527 American in .223 with either a Vortex Viper in 4-16x50 or the PST Gen 2 in 5-25x50. The price difference is staggering ($500 vs $1000).

The rifle will be used primarily on prairie dogs for distances of around 250-350 yards. 400 and 500 yard shots will present themselves, but I am just not that good at shooting that far yet, as I am extremely new to this hobby (first 3 ever prairie dog hunts in the summer of 2020).

The scope I have been using is a Vortex Crossfire 6-18x44 for $200.

Will a newb such as myself really be able to appreciate all of the features and quality that a $1000 scope will offer, or will the $500 scope be adequate for my listed needs?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

If those are the only 2 scopes your looking at my choice would be the PST Gen 2. But Midway is having a killer dear on the Bushnell Elite DMR II-i 3.5-21X50 First Focal Plane scope with G3 reticle for $744. I bought the illuminated reticle version for$805. That would be my 1st choice over the PST 2.

I've had both scopes you mention. The PST 4-16 is an old design with illumination tumor (if you get illumination) and glass is sub par in low light and has a distinct blue cast to it. The PST II 5-25 resolves the tumor, glass and coating issues of the original PST. For twice the price you are getting twice the scope, so I would say it is worth the investment. I've also had the DMR IIi that samnev mentions above, I would put the PST II and DMR II on par with one another but would say the PST II handles CA better, the DMR II is also a heavier scope if that makes a difference. Look for the reticle that you feel will suit you best and make your decision there. Also, do not pay $1000 for the PST II, give Scott at Liberty Optics a call, he is a Hide vendor and will treat you right and give you a deal that will undoubtedly surprise you.