• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm review

InfiniteGrim

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
PA,USA
If you saw my other thread I made I first tried the Millett TRS-1, at anything above 14x the eye relief was horrid, your eye needed to be in an exact place or you couldnt see anything, and when you found the right spot it was still cloudy as all hell. What sealed the deal for me sending it back was that it would not adjust to be parralax free.

After sending that back I found a hidden Gem, the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm scope. I will admit I missed it at first because I was looking for "tacticool" knobs, and this scope has them hidden under caps. It was $140 more then the TRS-1 and infinity times better.

Before you read this review I want you to be aware that I do not own any top dollar glass (other then my aimpoint PRO), I am upgrading from a $150 chinese scope.

Initial Impressions:

When I first got the box it looks and is built like the two other boxes the chinese scopes came in, the vortex box was a little heavier but it was still packaged very cheaply. It had two squar pieces of foam on either end holding it. The scope comes with VERY cheap bikini covers on it that are worthless, this to me was dissappointing as my $50 barska scope came with these on it!

The scope itself has a perfect and very smooth finish on it, and it feels considerably light, especially in comparison to the Millett TRS-1 I just returned. The caps on the "turrets" are actually pretty hefty, but they seem to lack an Oring, which I thought was odd. I read that on other people's rifles the caps would loosen under recoil and I think Orings would help with that. On the button of the adjustment area Vortex USA, the serial number, and Phillipines is machined into the scope.

It also does not come with a sun shade, which I ordered for $30 extra from adorama.com who had free shipping on it.

IMG_1218.jpg

Now I will definetly be criticized for how I mounted it. I have a LT-104 but using the UBR it feels unnnaturraly and uncomfortably high so I used Two LT-152's, yes on is on the FF DD M4 rail. I will have to shoot farther then 100 yards to see if there is any negative effects from doing this.

Adjustment Turrets:

Now Vortex uses a different system to "zero" the turrets. All you do is pull up on them and turn them to zero and let it pull itself back down and your turrets now are zeroed. Now I read that this required you to pull hard to do this, but Vortex must have read that and reduced the power of the springs because I thought it was very easy to pull up, too easy, I would rather have the springs be much stronger. As for adjusting when turning it made very positive clicks that were nut mushy at all, but I found the turrets seemed a bit loose and could spin freely a very small amount un aligning the adjustment lines. I think that this is do to how you zero the turrets.

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

Without the caps on the turrets are very low profile...

IMG_1191.jpg

Magnification Ring:

This is one of the best things about this scope, but its also the one thing I would want to change. Below on the picture you can see how the numbers are raised and the red mark that is actually attached to the ring you spin. Without moving your head much you can easily see this and I really like it, but If I were to have made the rifle I would have made the red mark stay stationary and ahve the numbers move because the ones on the end are kind of hard to quickly read.

Also as you can see there is a thick white line by 14x, which is showing how the crosshair is made to be used at 14x, another thing I was dissappointed with was it didn't make click when you get to 14x to let you know you are on it, you need to visually set it at 14x.

IMG_1196.jpg

Optics:

I cannot compare to any high dollar scope, but I can tell you that they are super bright and clear at 6.5x all the way up to 20x. The best part is the eye relief and eye placement are changed between 6.5 and 20x.

When adjusting parrallax you need to ignore the sharpness or your target, only adjust for reticle movement and then use the eye piece to focus. took me 15 seconds to get a perfect parralax and focus at 100 yards.

Now when I first got the scope I took it outside and looed at my shed which is 50 yards away. I was able to easily read the number that the dial was at on my masterlock combo lock. I will not beable to take this any further then 100 yards at an actualy shootings range until the summer but it works perfectly at 100.

Now the scope is VERY low on my rifle there is only 3-5mm of clearance between the objective and my front rail, at 20x and maybe 30-40 rounds I could see the heat coming from the rails/barrel when using the scope at 20x.

100 yards @ 20x: red squares are 1", so are the solid and hollow circles. Now I'm not sure how to get a good picture but obviously the picture make the optics look like shit, one day I will figure out how to take a good picture, for now this is what I can do...

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

To be honest, I dont think I will ever buy a cheap chinese made scope after handling this. I was actually going to get a Falcon Menace scope, but I am damn glad I got this thing. If I ever need another scope Vortex will be where I look first, for the money this scope is rediculously good. To anyone that thinks a $100-200 scope looks good, do yourself a favor and save up for one of these.

EDIT: Also if you are thinking about a Millett TRS, add this to your cart instead
icon_smile_wink.gif

Re: Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm review

I have it's big brother, the Viper PST FFP 6-24x50. I'm glad to hear your review of it. Now all we have to do is convince Viper to make an base level FFP in their MOA/MOA recticle and we'll have a system to train on cheaply and use on our high powered rifles. Have fun.

I have that same scope on my 223 WSSM. I also think it is a pretty good scope. I got mine for $300 so for that price I think it is a very good scope. I don't like it much past 16x the eye box gets pretty picky at that point because of the small exit pupil, but that is somewhat normal I guess.

My mechanics seem very accurate and repeatable so far. I just can't wait to pop a yote at 4 or 500 yards with it.

Thanks for your thoughts on it. For the money I think the Viper line is pretty tough to beat.

Added a picture of the bottom markings...(God Bless LT mounts!)

Here are my first couple shots after zeroing. It doesn't matter how many rounds I shoot I always pull one round off. In this instance both of the strings I fired the first shot was off by a mile in comparison to the others.

I also fired a horrid three shot group using the same ammo as that was all I had left, I did that after doing a quick box test which it passed.

As you can see I need to adjust up and left 1/4 moa as the shots were grouping around the bottom left corner.

IMG_1221.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short-bus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a new scope for my .22 and Vortex was one I was thinking about. Anyone know how much internal travel they have?

Shortbus </div></div>

I was actually just playing with it and it had 65.75 moa total for elevation and windage.

They advertise 65moa

OK Guys I have to edit my first post. I just measured with google maps and the lock on my shed is actually 38 yards away, so I went out and tried with 14x magnification, and if you do that math, 14x at 38 yards is actually a little less then 20x at 50 yards.

TO me it looked perfect but my camera wouldnt take a sharp picture, here is the best I could manage with manual focus...

Also I dont know if you can tell or not, my shed and the lock are in the shade....

IMG_12232.jpg

IMG_12232-Copy.jpg

Yes that is paintballs all over my shed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lhouston78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we are going to be putting one of these on a 338-378 and one on a 22-6mm. Hope they take the recoil on the big gun. </div></div>

Let me preface what I am about to say with the fact that I love Vortex and their customer service is 2nd to none.I mounted the same scope here on my .300 Win. Mag. and cranked all the way up when I shot it was bouncing off my glasses.it seemed that the eye relief at that magnification was to critical for a heavy magnum. I called Vortex they apologized all over themselves and sent me 4x12 mil dot, they ended up making it right, lets just say the went out of their way to make it right. I have since had my mag. tamed with a muzzle brake and probably would not have had that problem if I had gone the muzzle brake in the first place. Again for the money Vortex is hard to beat. I also have one of their V-Sparcs on my turkey gun.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lhouston78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we are going to be putting one of these on a 338-378 and one on a 22-6mm. Hope they take the recoil on the big gun. </div></div>

They will, and I'm just about 20 minutes away if you want to check them out yourself

Scott

Thank you for posting this review. I had been looking at the Millett TRS-1 up until today.

For some reason, before today, I found nothing but good about the TRS-1, and now, I'm seeing nothing but bad.

Maybe this will be a good alternative. I just wish it was mil/mil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have that same scope on my 223 WSSM. I also think it is a pretty good scope. I got mine for $300 so for that price I think it is a very good scope. <span style="font-weight: bold">I don't like it much past 16x the eye box gets pretty picky at that point </span> because of the small exit pupil, but that is somewhat normal I guess.

<span style="font-weight: bold">My mechanics seem very accurate and repeatable so far</span>. I just can't wait to pop a yote at 4 or 500 yards with it.

Thanks for your thoughts on it. For the money I think the Viper line is pretty tough to beat. </div></div>

Agreed on both points. I dont normally run mine past 15x or so, usually leaving it on 14x as thats where it mils. Mine has been 100% repeatable as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlindRacer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for posting this review. I had been looking at the Millett TRS-1 up until today.

<span style="font-weight: bold">For some reason, before today, I found nothing but good about the TRS-1, and now, I'm seeing nothing but bad.</span>

Maybe this will be a good alternative. I just wish it was mil/mil </div></div>

Funny same thing happenned to me, until I got it on my rifle and tried it.

I think when we find something that is priced right and has everything we want, we only see what we want to see.

When I realized the TRS-1 was junk, I googled TRS-1 issues, and a TON of stuff popped up, the info about it being crap was there, I just chose not to look at it until I got the scope!

Also I just got my refund from Amazon today, they recieved the scope yesterday, not bad at all, considering 90% of the places wouldnt have taken it back or would have charged me a large restocking fee.

I also was looking at millett and decided to buy a vortex viper can't wait for it to come.

Man, I just read this and I am glad I did. I had been intending to buy a Millet today as the sale ends today. Now I will look a little longer!

Great review and I agree with most. I have the 6.5-20x44 I as able to buy for $279 shipped when they were phasing out a few reticle options.

My only gripes are the eye relief being so short. Specs claim to be 3" but sometimes I wonder if it's even that. I would not recommend this for heavy recoiling rifles when you want that extra relief.

Also, the sunshade made for this scope is nice BUT the diameter of the sunshade is smaller than the objective bell so you can't use your flip ups. I wonder if this is true with the 50mm bell and sunshade.

Very good review. I was debating this scope an the TRS1 and was planning on getting the millett but after reading some suspect reviews i dont feel too confident in millett's QC, probably gonna get one of these if I can sell my super sniper. thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So have you box tested your yet? </div></div>

Yes but I want to do it again. I loaded up some ammo that isn't the most consisistent so It definetly scewed my box test. The ammo I used will shoot .5 moa groups, but then a couple rounds with go 1" off from the other rounds.

I also screwed up because I fired 40+ rounds within a few minutes without letting my gun cool and there was a definite shift.

Now the first group as you can see hit about .5" lower then POA. The second group on the top right was about 2" high and 2" left, but the third group was 1.5" right and 1.8" high.

Now this is where the test is VERY inconsistent. I dont know if it was me or the ammo because both lower groups are horrible. but if you find the center of the lower left group it is about 2" low and 2" left. Now the bottom right group really shows my barrel warming up because it is 2" low and 1.9" right.

I then shot at the right cross to see if I retained zero, and I did not. It was about .5" right and .5" low. I then realized my barrel was really hot so I let it sit for 10 minutes and fired 3 more rounds. In comparison to my original group these rounds were right on.

So what I realized.
-The ammo I used was far too inconsistent.
-When my barrel heats up it shifts low right
-The scope seems to adjust up/down and left very well, but when you adjust to the right it seemed to move less then you expect. I say this because the top right group is less then 2" to the right, and if you include the drift from my barrel getting hot in the lower left group it is about 2" low, but only about 1.5" right.

boxtest.jpg

I have one of these on a .223 bolt and it works really well. I wish they made a mil/mil version with the EBR reticles and still less than the PSTs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of these on a .223 bolt and it works really well. <span style="font-weight: bold">I wish they made a mil/mil version with the EBR reticles and still less than the PSTs</span>. </div></div>

+1 While I like mine, matching ret and turrets would be great. A "better" ret than the standard MD would also be a bonus. There really is absolutely <span style="font-weight: bold">no</span> reason to continue to build mil rets and moa turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InfiniteGrim</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vegas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So have you box tested your yet? </div></div>

Yes but I want to do it again. I loaded up some ammo that isn't the most consisistent so It definetly scewed my box test. The ammo I used will shoot .5 moa groups, but then a couple rounds with go 1" off from the other rounds.

I also screwed up because I fired 40+ rounds within a few minutes without letting my gun cool and there was a definite shift.

Now the first group as you can see hit about .5" lower then POA. The second group on the top right was about 2" high and 2" left, but the third group was 1.5" right and 1.8" high.

Now this is where the test is VERY inconsistent. I dont know if it was me or the ammo because both lower groups are horrible. but if you find the center of the lower left group it is about 2" low and 2" left. Now the bottom right group really shows my barrel warming up because it is 2" low and 1.9" right.

I then shot at the right cross to see if I retained zero, and I did not. It was about .5" right and .5" low. I then realized my barrel was really hot so I let it sit for 10 minutes and fired 3 more rounds. In comparison to my original group these rounds were right on.

So what I realized.
-The ammo I used was far too inconsistent.
-When my barrel heats up it shifts low right
-The scope seems to adjust up/down and left very well, but when you adjust to the right it seemed to move less then you expect. I say this because the top right group is less then 2" to the right, and if you include the drift from my barrel getting hot in the lower left group it is about 2" low, but only about 1.5" right.

boxtest.jpg
</div></div>

what is your adjustment availability after zeroing at 100 yds? the reason why i ask is i'm on my second scope. the first one was sent back due to a weak erector spring. now with the second one when zeroed i only have 18 MOA of adjustment up with 39.5 of unuseable MOA down. 5.5 MOA adjustment to the right but 49.25 MOA to the left. spoke to Scott at Vortex and we thought the problem might be my XTR rings so i bought some Vortex Precision Matched Rings and same thing. gonna call Scott tomorrow and probably send this second scope back and see whats up. heres a link to my last topic if anyone wants to read and give any advice. thanks. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2543044

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InfiniteGrim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI with the sunshade this scope is LONG!

IMG_1310_1_2_tonemapped.jpg
</div></div>

Is this the 104 mount your speaking of? Was it comfortable when shooting 100-200 yards. I like the 152's but iam a little weary about it because i feel zero would be way off when changing to iron sights.

Yes that is the 104. I feel the 104 is a little bit high to get a good comfortably cheeck weld especially with the UBR. I feel you need a cheek riser to get comfortable.

Adjustments after zeroing with LT-104 mount....

26 ¾ moa DOWN
37 ¾ moa UP

37 ¾ moa LEFT
27 ¼ moa RIGHT