• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex viper gen 2 1-6?

Pointman308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Idaho
I’ve been looking at this scope for a a while for my recce build but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of feedback out there for it. Does anybody have first hand experience With this? Is it WORTH it’s 23 ounces?

I have never used that one, but the Gen II Razor is on blowout (perhaps pending the intro of the 1-8x) for $949 so including shipping TYD so if you can stretch the budget just a little....
CD468C91E1ABBA4AB0C2A0E965E0BD7E5EEB3B61.jpg

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vo...lescope-with-vmr-2-reticle-moa-rzr-16005.aspx
36A5233C214C11689FBE6D15DE9C56664DA42908.jpg

https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-razor-hd-gen-ii-1-6x24-riflescope.aspx

EuroOptic will also give another 2% for payment by echeck if that helps. You just give them your account number and they debit the account.

I was just at Cabela’s looking through a bunch of lvpo’s and the genII viper pst 1-6 was a nice scope but I found the eye relief was very finicky on 6x (it was on their gun stock for demoing scopes with the rubber scope mounts) compared to others I looked at like the EOTech vudoo, Leupolds, Trijicon. You had to have your head in the perfect position on 6x to get a clear view without shadowing, 1x was no problem. I wish I would have looked at the genII razor now.

Is vortex coming out with a higher grade 1-8?

Not to my knowledge the E model is just a Gen II razor 1-6 with reduced weight.

As to the OP i honestly love the Gen II PSTs. I sold my Gen II razor 1-6 thinking i was going to replace it with the new Trijicon 1-8 or PA 1-8, that never happened so i ended up buying my buddies Gen II PST 1-6 it's not the Razor but for an LVPO it doesn't feel that much different behind it. Glass on the Gen II PSTs is very good for the price. Also been impressed with my brothers 5-25. My only real gripe with Vortex's LVPO is the reticle selection is meh. VMR works but full mil deviations on the verticle are entirely too big IMHO and the reticle itself is thick as hell.

I have one on a 375 ruger. I like it. Only shot a couple black bear with it and steel to 500

Is the weight of these things bearable once you have a weaponlight , suppressor etc....

Yeah it's not bad at all since it weighs less than the Gen II Razor. I didn't think the Gen II razor was all that bad. Weight is still closer to the midpoint of the gun in regards to the scope.

I've got the PST Gen II 1-6, and it's great. I've been using it for 3 Gun since it came out. I haven't found it finicky at 6x, but mostly that much magnification isn't necessary. Using it like a red dot is damned easy, and it's definitely daylight bright. As far as the weight, I'll just say I don't notice it during a stage, and my friends with 1x's really struggle at distance.

Sure, it's not a Razor, but for a reasonable price and yeah less weight it's great.

I saw Optics Planet is blowing these out for $599... was thinking about snagging one for a 308 AR.

I'm seeing the Razor Gen II (not the E) for $881. I'm sure these are being blown out because the Razor Gen II E is replacing them.

I was also looking at the Vortex Viper 1-6, but for a few bucks more, the Razor is very tempting. The question I have is, does the extra 4 ounces of weight from the older Razor Gen II to the Gen II E make that much of a difference? I don't run a suppressor or an IR laser on my gun. Is the 4 ounce saving worth $400 price difference?

Reactions: black5.3
BT, I'd say that depends on how you're planning to use it. If the ~$300 isn't a huge issue for you, and this is mostly a range toy / 3 Gun rifle, I would say go for the Razor. If you're looking to save some money, or planning on long hikes or run and gun (I built mine for Hawkeye Trekkers) then maybe go with the lighter PST, it's like 95% of the performance.