• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex VIPER HS 4-16X44 LR w/ 1/2 clicks

SHO~BIZ308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2011
USA
My wife just bought me a Vortex VIPER 4-16X44HS LR for Christmas,I'm going to be mounting it on a DPMS SASS. I need to know can any one give me any sighting in advice on this scope,I will be shooting up to 300-400yrds the elevation is 1/2clicks and windage is 1/4clicks will those type clicks effect me from making accurate bulls eye hit on targets at those range on paper? If so what are some solutions to bring my POI closer? What will be my Point Of Impact at 1000yds? If any of your guys have this scope mounted pls post pic I would love to see your scope and ring collaboration.Is there any type rings i can purchase or any scope tricks i can do to make the 1/2click become 1/4click if wanted to do so with out getting another scope? if so please explain.

Re: Vortex VIPER HS 4-16X44 LR w/ 1/2 clicks

a 1/2moa click is going to be a 1/2moa click nomatter what you do or how you mount it. if most of your shooting is done @ under 400 yds you can sight in at 200 (or whatever you want) and use holdovers and hold unders for exact bulseyes. you have to remember 1 click will be 2 inches at 400 yds. 2 inches is enough to make 1 click below the bull and 1 click above the bull.

i think with some range time you will be able to dial for 400yds and know to aim at the top or bottom of the bull for exact bullseye hits or hold for the whole thing.

imo the 1/2 moa click is designed for hunting accuracy not bullseye accuracy

with 1/2 moa clicks, you'll never be more than 1/4 moa off. So at 400 yards, you be 1 inch off a most. If you're really concerned about hitting a bullseye dead center you will need to do some hold overs. Like vette said, for tactical and hunting use 1/2 clicks are nice because an extra 1/4 moa of precision isn't usually necessary in those situations.

Thank you for your advice but i want to get the most out of my 308 sass accuracy that i can and I'm so worried that i have gotten a scope that's not going to let me get just that and my return policy was 7days on the scope and the seven days are up, she also took and had it mounted for Christmas for me{but never been to range or shot} i didn't know that would restrict me from returning it.
I'm also still learning the language like holdover ect,so even if i sighted it in at the 200yrd i may still be off a inch at 200, I'm still learning the lingo. please work with me guys.

at 20 yards, you should never be off more than 1/2 inch. For exmple, you are an inch high at 200 yards. 1/2 moa at 200y is 1 inch, so one click down and ur dead on. If u re 1.5 inches high at 200y, one click down and u will be .5 inche high. Thats pretty dang close

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at 20 yards, you should never be off more than 1/2 inch. For exmple, you are an inch high at 200 yards. 1/2 moa at 200y is 1 inch, so one click down and ur dead on. If u re 1.5 inches high at 200y, one click down and u will be .5 inche high. Thats pretty dang close</div></div>

So what will be my moa clicks starting at 100-1000yrds and where should i sight this scope in if im going to be shooting out to about 400yrds for starts

The nice thing about the 1/2 MOA clicks is you'll be doing half the amount of turret turns to get you out there. For me that is a plus, especially for hunting.
This is one reason I really like Nightforce high speed turrets.

No problem, We all started off at ground zero! You have a great scope! You will be able to click in to half a moa (minute of angle there is a ton of reading on moa) Hold overs or hold under is using the hash marks on your reticle. Using the hash marks you can learn to hold over just a bit or hold under to make the poi (point of impact) where you want the bullet to land.
Remember poi will be different the poa. (point of aim) All of us have to learn to use our scopes to get the best out of them.
Your scope will be bright and clear and some of the best CS (customer service) on the industry.
If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to pm me.
Good luck!!

uncledog57 said:
No problem, We all started off at ground zero! You have a great scope! You will be able to click in to half a moa (minute of angle there is a ton of reading on moa) Hold overs or hold under is using the hash marks on your reticle. Using the hash marks you can learn to hold over just a bit or hold under to make the poi (point of impact) where you want the bullet to land.
Remember poi will be different the poa. (point of aim) All of us have to learn to use our scopes to get the best out of them.
Your scope will be bright and clear and some of the best CS (customer service) on the industry.

Poa/Poi== Question how do the bullet travel once shot out of a 308 vs 223

Whats the difference between the standard viper vs the HS/LR besides the reticles and moa clicks it just feels like I'm going backwards in quality just to get 1/4 clicks without having to spend $700-$800 for a PST.Dam why vortex just couldn't of just made the HS/LR with the tall turret in moa in 1/4clicks with out illuminated reticle, i also have the throw leaver and it also don't work with the std viper. not bitching guys just frustrated a little.