• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS LR Vs. Weaver Tactical Vs. Vortex Viper Vs. Buckmaster

A.Redd

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
I've always enjoyed scope reviews so I decided to post my own. This isn't going to be a traditional review, but more of what I value in a scope. I'm just going create a few categories and rate as I see fit. This is clearly not an apples to apples review, but it stacks my top 4 scopes against each other. Be easy on me....

The Scopes and price I paid: Weaver 3-15moa ($660), Vortex HS LR 6-24 XLR ($730), Viper 6.5-20x44 bullet drop recticle ($375), Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 nikonplex ($180.)

Test 1. zeroing in: Weaver wins this hands down; it has the best system I have seen on a scope. You just hand unscrew the top cap, move the turret and screw the cap back on. Requires no tools. 2nd. Viper: again no tools required but I accidentally moved it once when I didnt mean too, that keeps it from being number one. 3rd buckmaster: coin or screw driver required. 4th. Vortex HS: damn allen wrench.

Test 2. Turrets: 1. Vortex HS: I'm including the fact that i get .5 moa adjustments. The vortex has the most crisp clicks of any of the scopes and I like the fact I can rotate it 24 moa in one turn. I still get the 1/4 wind-age adjustments and that's where I want to be dead on at during sight in. 2nd Weaver: This was a close second, but vortex just had that slightly better feel, cosmetically I'd give Weaver the edge though. 3rd Viper 4th. Buckmaster.

Test 3. Field of View/ Eye box: 1. Weaver and its not even close, the eye box is forgiving and field of view is alarming better than any of the 4. This scope really exceeds in this area, I have it on my ATH Carbine. At 3 power I consider it a fast acquiring scope. 2nd. Vortex HS: Eyebox is a little tighter than I would like, especially for a scope that has "hunter series" in the name, but it is a 6-24 power scope. 3rd: Viper: 4th Buckmaster: Only disappointment in this scope, especially considering its the cheapest. The eye box plain sucks in my opinion.

Test 4. Day Glass: This was extremely close, but I have to give the Weaver the edge, with my eyes its the crispest and gathers the most light. 2. Vortex HS. close second, very happy with the quality. 3rd. Buckmaster: This scope was shockingly nice and has very crisp picture. IMO Buckmaster is the best bang for buck glass period. Such nice glass for mid 2 hundred. I cant tell much difference between it and the HS, but HS did had have the edge. 4th. Viper: close 4th

Test 5. Reticle: 1. Vortex HS: This isnt even close. The XLR is the best reticle on the market for under 1K IMO, maybe even $1500. FFP + the Christmas tree below made me drool. If i had two complaints one would be the wind hashes. I dont see the reason to have so many, IMO vortex should have had more elevation hashes and less wind hashes. Second complaint would be the 1st two numbers on the elevation hashes are in a spot I hold over a lot. Those two numbers should be left off all together. Those are two very critical complaints and I'm extremely happy. 2nd Weaver: again FFP and as expected. 3rd Buckmaster: Nikoplex is simple but nice. 4th. Viper: bullet drop reticles are very functional but a little to thick IMO.

Test 6. Low light Glass/ viewing. 1a toss-up: Weaver. This was a tough decision actually but its glass is just that nice. Only problem is the reticles can be very small at lower powers making them hard to see. Not idea for shooting in low light. 1b. Buckmaster: This was a shock but the nikoplex reflects light a little and its easy to see the reticle compared to the other scopes, glass isnt quite as nice as Weaver but the reticle makes up for it. 3rd. Viper: its huge reticles made them quite functional in low light viewing. 4th. vortex HS. this scope is just terrible in low light. Its glass is close to the Weaver but the reticles simply aren't functional in low light. Its almost impossible to see them at 6X with a dark background. This is a critical flaw in the scope that needs addressed. It really needs illuminated reticles and slightly thicker reticles. I have it mounted on my savage 10ba and its more or less target only gun so it doesntt matter for me.

Even with the fatal flaw of lack of functionality in low light the Vortex HS is my favorite scope. The power range is nice, and the FFP reticle is the by far the best target reticle at the price range. The glass is nice and the turrets are crisp. Its also sitting on a target rifle that i'm not crawling around in the woods with. 2nd: Weaver is a sweet scope, but just lacks the wow factor the XLR reticle provides. I could make a case for weaver being number 1. if i was a mil shooter, and I had the Mil Mil option. It also seems like the most well built, but only time will tell.

All that being said, if i was hunting at practical distances, and I felt I needed the best low light functionality, the Buckmaster would be on the rifle.

Last edited:
You also have to consider customer service and Vortex is phenomenal...