• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HS

angus6

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2013
Seems like I've seen some thumbs down on the Viper HS series but off hand I don't remember what it was about anyone have some input ?

The Viper HS 6-24x50 FFP with XLR MOA is what I was looking at

I have that exact scope. I find it to fit my need perfectly. I didn't buy it planning to shoot high power targets that would require fine tuning 1/4 or 1/8 turns but rather an all around scope. The 1/2 turns are nice because you can get 24 MOA of elevation in one turn. I didn't really care about illumination so not having it is not a loss to me. My only small gripe about the reticle is that the number markings are very hard to read even at full magnification, so you really just need to memorize everything. Not having an exposed windage turret also isn't a big deal to me because with the tree reticle I just holdover anyway. Is it perfect, no, but it's a good scope and if you are ok with the trade offs then consider it.

I did hear the glass on the 4-16 was not up to par.

I'm also a fan of the 1/2 moa adjustments. Plenty accurate for most real world scenarios and 24 moa per turn is nice. Mine is the 4-16x50 LR (not the XLR) and I have no complaints on the glass. The reticle is fairly thin, but still usable.

I have the 6-24, solid scope. Have used it out to 1320 yds on multiple occasions, always returns to zero and tracks perfect. My gripe is the aluminum mag ring, wish they used the rubber like the other hs&pst. My 4-16 was very good on glass both of them, i really liked the thin reticl. Glass is the same between the pst and hs, i have heard of issues with the pst 4-16 glass quality,but my two hs 4-16 were good.

I've been running the 6-24x50 FFP XLR model since Nov 2012 and am EXTREMELY pleased with it! Previously I have run the 6-24x50 FFP PST since acquiring one in Spring 2010. The only differences between the two scopes are:

1. PST has illuminated reticule, XLR does not
2. PST has exposed 1/4 MOA elevation and windage, XLR is 1/2 MOA elevation and capped 1/4 MOA windage
3. The XLR reticule(0.10 MOA) is nearly 50% thinner than the PST's EBR-1 (0.18 MOA)

Glass quality is identical. As for the 4-16x FFP having "inferior" glass I have not found that to be the case and don't understand why people keep propigating that myth without first hand knowledge.

The XLR reticule IMO is one of the best available for hold overs/offs. It has a 0.3 MOA open center with a 0.1 micro dot for precision aiming. Personally I like the XLR reticule so much I will be swapping out my PST's EBR-1 reticule during the off season and my next Vortex scope will be another XLR for my back-up match rifle. Yes the stadia numbers are a bit smallish and can be hard to read, but it's a fairly easy reticule to meorize. Everything below the horizontal vertically is in 2MOA increments. All windage holds and above 8MOA on the vertical are 1MOA increments with the ends of the horizontal in 0.5MOA increments for ranging.

CameralandNY and Midway are the only two vendors I'm aware of that presently have the XLR model in stock. CameralandNY is a Hide vendor and does not charge shipping.

It's a great scope and if this reticule was offered in Mil/Mil it would have a lot more buzz on the Hide.

I'm thinking real hard about the XLR for a rifle that's at te smith now. I would like to change the side turrets out for the PST type, I thought Vortex offered that as a service but I no longer see it on their site. I just don't want capped turrets...

I'm thinking real hard about the XLR for a rifle that's at te smith now. I would like to change the side turrets out for the PST type, I thought Vortex offered that as a service but I no longer see it on their site. I just don't want capped turrets...

I'd give anything to have capped windage turrets on my pst.

I've had it change many times when pulling it out of my bag.

I'd give anything to have capped windage turrets on my pst.

I've had it change many times when pulling it out of my bag.

I'm with you on that.

As for Vortex changing out the HS turrets for the PST I believe they will still do that just contact them. However IIRC the changeover cost puts you more than a PST.

I have the FFP 4-16 HS LR with the XLR and I like it quite a bit. It fits my needs perfectly. The HS is a hunting line and I believe that they hit the mark with this scope. It does have a few faults. It's a bit dim at high power, but the only time I turn it up is to spot shots at the range so it's not a problem. It would also be nice if the numbers were a little easier to read, but all in all I think that it's a well executed design at a great price point.

Thanks guys, have a Bushnell ET6245FG on order @ $820 but getting tried of waitting and think that the Viper HS 6-24x50 FFP with XLR MOA may end up on the rifle instead

Well got tired of waitting for a ET6245FG to come in stock so I placed a order for the Viper HS 6-24x50 FFP with XLR MOA , since it's a 30mm tube need to find a mount to stick it on the AR

Iv got one in FFP 4x16 XLR on a Tatical pistol making shots to 600 yds no problem. I have a HS and a PST glass wise I cant tell the difference.

Well got tired of waitting for a ET6245FG to come in stock so I placed a order for the Viper HS 6-24x50 FFP with XLR MOA , since it's a 30mm tube need to find a mount to stick it on the AR

I got a nice 20MOA one piece from GAP the other year that is 34mm but has 30mm inserts. It's made for them by Badger Ordanance and built like a tank, ~$230 IIRC. Do verify your objective bell clearance relative to the AR rail and handguard I recall a lot of discussion around that when ordering. I think you will REALLY like the Viper HS LR.

I just mounted my HS last night i really like the reticle, i cant wait to put some rounds through it. it is a very nice piece of glass.
Very happy with my purchase.
Im used to a 4-16 so the extra power is WOW!