• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions

Re: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressio

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But let’s say the reticle is SO canted it looks like an X <span style="text-decoration: underline">as long as you use the turrets that are level</span> the reticle will move on the X & Y access of the turrets and the <span style="text-decoration: underline">impact of the round will be in the center of the reticle</span>. You will not have to use the wind-age knob to correct for an error. </div></div>
While that is technically correct, I don't agree it's a desirable condition. To me, a fundamental part of marksmenship is trying not to cant the rifle--especially when shooting at long range. The reticle is your first tool with which to do so. Yes, there are environments where this is difficult and one should resort to referring to an external bubble level of some sort.

But it's not difficult in many environments. From targets to target frames to window frames to door frames to buildings to pine trees to animals the world is full of vertical references. Having to hold your scope crooked with the world in order to make it track correctly is not the optimum setup in my opinion.

I do realize at least one manufacturer says reticles canted up to 3 degrees are just fine. I disagree. Here is a reticle canted 3 degrees with the world:

reticle-3deg.png

If people don't mind holding their scope that crooked and using an external bubble level in situations where it shouldn't be needed in order to get the scope to operate correctly, it's their money. That's fine with me.

However, I will choose to spend my money on scopes with straight reticles.

Again, this scope wasn't nearly that bad as I stated above at only around 1 degree--it was just barely out enough to bother me. If that isn't enough to bother some people, that's fine. People were wanting to know the accuracy of the adjustments so that's what I reported.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you always want a scope to be spot on but to be honest I do not feel 3% is that big of a deal. </div></div>
You're right, it's really not. For Ballistic Geeks like me I can compensate pretty easily. The thing is as this thread demonstrates very few people measure their clicks. If it says .1 Mil they expect it to be and so when they can't make first round hits even after doing everything else correctly because of an error in the scope, that makes the scope a poorer tool than a scope that is dead on.

And while there is much software out there now that allows you to compensate, this was not always the case. Some of the most popular software for a very long time was unable to compensate for out of spec clicks.

And when you're swapping a Mil scope for another Mil scope on a rifle having to use different dope for the same rifle, same load, etc, is rather annoying.

So while I agree more sophisticated users can compensate, that doesn't make it right. When $400 scopes can have accurate clicks, in my opinion there really isn't an excuse for more expensive tactical scopes to be very far out of spec.

Again, some manufacturers may disagree, but Vortex isn't one of them. They agree the scopes should be in spec and are working hard to make sure that they will be.

Man I love how in-depth you are it is really great to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While that is technically correct, I don't agree it's a desirable condition. </div></div>
I agree the cant is not desirable but it happens. If my eye can notice the cant and it bugs me then it is too much but if I can’t really notice the cant then it will not bug me so cant should not be an issue. This is why when I mount a scope I level the turrets not the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me, a fundamental part of marksmenship is trying not to cant the rifle--especially when shooting at long range.</div></div>
I agree with you. I personally like to shoot a rifle without a cant. I know of a few long range shooters that are world class shooters in arena long range shooting that shot their rifle in a cant but the sight are perpendicular.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, this scope wasn't nearly that bad as I stated above at only around 1 degree--it was just barely out enough to bother me. If that isn't enough to bother some people, that's fine. People were wanting to know the accuracy of the adjustments so that's what I reported. </div></div>
I agree. You did a very good on giving everyone info including me. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, some manufacturers may disagree, but Vortex isn't one of them. They agree the scopes should be in spec and are working hard to make sure that they will be. </div></div>
This is why I have faith that the PST will rock when Vortex gets them moving at full speed.

Mike @ CST

Thank you for the detailed and excellent review.

Re: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions

Asked a question, but already addressed.

Jon, thanks for the review and the great info.

-Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yoterunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't sound good for us that are waiting for the next shipment... </div></div>

True, however... for someone who is about to be new to Long Range Shooting, I for one would rather have a scope (yes I have one on order) that does not have these issues, versus one that does. Being new and not having all of the knowledge that some of you do, I am grateful that someone else brought this to the front. I may have never known if my new scope had these issues and been making shots that I could not compensate for due to the error rate.

Thanks for the in-depth explanations and testing - much appreciated. And even though I don't own the Vortex product yet, I am VERY pleased by what I have seen of their customer service thus far.

Darby

Jon - you may think you're anal about this stuff but dang, I'm wishing I lived near you and knew you, so that I could get the help a new guy could benefit from!

I figured I should give an update. I've been using it quite a bit over the last couple of weeks and it has been performing very well.

It has withstood about 100 rounds on my light weight 300 RUM (8 lbs without optics, 240 SMK @ 3040 fps sitting on top of 100 grains of powder) with no ill effects which is a good sign for its durability.

No additional issues have surfaced beyond what was mentioned above. Everything has worked exactly as it should. The windage turret has moved on me a few times, but it spent much time riding in a gun rack which really rubbed on it.

A couple more pics:

PICT0036.JPG

PICT0037.JPG

Reticle at 100:

DSC00500.JPG

At 1000:

PICT0073.JPG

I busted out my new HD video camera to chronicle the first rounds at extended ranges with it. As you can see, it gets the job done.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XB_Sxgp5Ook"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XB_Sxgp5Ook" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Wanted to wait on the PSTs, but I guess for now I'm glad I went ahead with the Bushnizzel 4200 FFP, mil/mil (Thnx Bob!). I'm sure Vortex will get it unkinked.

Jon A.
Do you wish you had gone with the Bushnell 4200 FFP instead of the Viper?

No. I haven't tested the Bushnell so I can't give a fair comparison, only my "wishes." To me the better reticle, better illumination and zero stop make the PST more desirable. And in the case of the 6-24 (I also have one of those on order) the Bushnell is too severely limited in travel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Bushnell makes those models, the more choices the better, but I think when the PST issues are worked out they'll still be the choice (especially now that it looks like Bushnell has raised their prices).

Jon, nice video and shooting.

Are you videoscoping through a spotting scope?

No, that was just a Sony HDR-XR150 which has a 25X optical zoom (one of the biggest reasons I chose that camera) with a 2X Sony doubler on the front. It does a pretty good job but there was a ton of mirage for that one.

I would love to to put one of these on the .22 I ordered this morning - but it just isn't going to work if the 50 yard minimum parallax adjustment specification is accurate. Is 50 yards really the minimum parallax setting?

I'm sorry, I kept forgetting to check. On 16X I'd say it's usable to around 40 yds, closer than that and you have issues.

BTT

Anyone else had a chance to take their pst out and put it through some field use besides jon?

I did not think these were available just yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not think these were available just yet. </div></div>

There was an initial 'test' shipment that went out. Very few people got their scopes but since there was some 're-vamping' to do to the scopes they are getting updated and 'fixed'. Nobody knows when exactly they will be available again.

Mike

They stopped production to revise issues on the first run.

Maybe available late 2010 or early 2011

Gents, are these still 'on hold' awaiting fixes?

I believe so. Some say by the end of the year, some say right after the first of the year. Know one knows for sure but hopefully it won't be long.

I'm very anxiously awaiting mine... Was damn tempted to cancel and go with a Bushnell or Weaver ffp mil/mil scope but I figured another month or two won't matter much especially since the loaner Falcon I have is tracking nicely and working solid for now!

Mike

FYI, just saw a post from Vortex on another forum that most of that line will likely not be out before the end of the year. Hard to wait but they sre trying to make sure there are no problems I think.

40gt, I'm confused by your comment in your post on the second link about the SFP reticule covering the entire coyote.

"About 45 minutes later I spotted another one at 400 yds. I turned the turret to 4 for 400 yds. and turned the power down to 6x and was amazed that even though it is very thin you could see it perfectly and could hold it on what ever part of the body you wanted to hold on. If it was a SFP scope the normal hunting reticule would have covered the whole coyote. This is for me one of the nicer features of this scope."

By my calculations, the SFP reticule being 0.06 MOA = 0.062" @ 100yd on 24x. This would be 0.248" @ 400yd (24x) and at 6x = 0.99". Hardly covering the entire coyote body. Maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly. I ordered the PST with the SFP to avoid having the reticule cover too much of the target as I wanted to be able to hunt Prairie Dogs at 400yds and was worried the FFP reticule would cover more of their body vs the SFP at higher magnifications.

For example, at 400yds, the FFP would cover 0.75" (0.18 MOA reticule). At 400yds with SFP (0.06 MOA @ 24x), the reticule would cover 0.25" @ 24x, 0.50" at 12x, etc.

The example you gave at lower power of 6x puts them nearly on par for 400yds (0.75" vs 0.99").

Maybe I'm not thinking about this correctly. If not, please help me understand how to think about comparing the two reticules at various distances/powers as I may want to change my order.

It is hard for me to explain. Let me start over and try again. With the FFP the reticle does not change size compared to the target (paper, prairie dog or anything you are going to shoot at). With my PST FFP scope at 24x the reticule looks thicker than at 6x, but your target is larger at 24x than at 6x. When I first bore sighted my scope at 50 yds. I put a thin wire through the top and bottom of a white business card and used the wire to stick it into the ground. At 24x the reticle looked thick, but the card was much larger also. I was amazed that even though the reticle looked thick it still was the same size as the pin hole in the card. The reticle is in the same proportion to the target at all magnifications. At 6x the card is much smaller and the reticle is smaller and still is the same size as the pin hole.Also as you zoom in and out the reticle looks to move closer and farther away with the power change.

I am sold on having the FFP instead of a SFP scope. This is the first FFP scope I have ever looked through and I took the gamble and got the FFP. Boy am I glad I did!!! It is really neat and very easy to use especially after using it a few times.

I can't tell you which one to get, but you will not regret getting the FFP.

I hope this helped.

40gt

can someone confirm if my calculations and assessment of reticule comparison of FFP vs SFP is correct?

Email from the place I ordered mine:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">* Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope-4-16x50 FFP Rifle Scope-EBR-1 MOA The Estimated Delivery Date for the item(s) above is <span style="font-weight: bold">2/09/2011</span>.</div></div>

No clue how firm that is, but...

Ugh, I hope that's not true. Where I ordered mine is still saying end of Dec.

It seems right now speculation is all we have though. I already went with another option, but I do have more than one rifle and am currently switching the scope back and forth, which is getting old.
Can you at least answer this? If I order one right now will I get it at approximately the same time as everybody else or will the first shipment not fill all orders?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems right now speculation is all we have though. I already went with another option, but I do have more than one rifle and am currently switching the scope back and forth, which is getting old.
Can you at least answer this? If I order one right now will I get it at approximately the same time as everybody else or will the first shipment not fill all orders? </div></div>

I'm really sorry that we haven't been able to give you guys a definite date. The primary reason for that is we are just being overly cautious to avoid getting people's hopes up and then disappointing them again.

I wish there was more I could give, but we just aren't quite ready to say more yet.

Regarding your question, if you order right now I would say that you would probably not get your scope the same time as everyone else. The back order lists are fairly long and I don't think the first shipment will be enough to fill all of them. However, once we do start shipping them to dealers, follow up shipments should be much more frequent and predictable.

As soon as we have concrete info we can give you guys we will definitely let you know.

-Sam

Thank you Sam for the work you guys are doing. I have one on order and am willing to wait as long as it takes to get it right. The way in which you guys are handling this gives me confidence that I will have a great product that you will stand behind. You guys have taken some hits through this and have lost potential business, however, because of the wise business decisions you have made, any lost ground will be recovered very quickly. Keep up the good work and we look forward to seeing the roll out begin. Probably no one looks forward to it more than you
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have taken some hits through this and have lost potential business, however, because of the wise business decisions you have made, any lost ground will be recovered very quickly. </div></div>

Classic "Short term pain for long term gain"

We look forward to their arrival, we've waited 10 months, what's a few more at this point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems right now speculation is all we have though. I already went with another option, but I do have more than one rifle and am currently switching the scope back and forth, which is getting old.
Can you at least answer this? If I order one right now will I get it at approximately the same time as everybody else or will the first shipment not fill all orders? </div></div>

I'm really sorry that we haven't been able to give you guys a definite date. The primary reason for that is we are just being overly cautious to avoid getting people's hopes up and then disappointing them again.

I wish there was more I could give, but we just aren't quite ready to say more yet.

Regarding your question, if you order right now I would say that you would probably not get your scope the same time as everyone else. The back order lists are fairly long and I don't think the first shipment will be enough to fill all of them. However, once we do start shipping them to dealers, follow up shipments should be much more frequent and predictable.

As soon as we have concrete info we can give you guys we will definitely let you know.

-Sam</div></div>

Sam, might you be willing to at least provide some context? A lot of folks have asked the question "gee why is this taking so long to fix some turrets" but the indication is that we dont even know if that was the only fix.

Can you help us understand as a community some of the polish-type things you guys are driving to be better on this product?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have taken some hits through this and have lost potential business, however, because of the wise business decisions you have made, any lost ground will be recovered very quickly. </div></div>

Classic "Short term pain for long term gain"

We look forward to their arrival, we've waited 10 months, what's a few more at this point? </div></div>

A few more might be too many..
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cluebat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A few more might be too many..
smile.gif
</div></div>

Atleast its getting on towards winter time instead of coming up on the height of the shooting season depending on where you're located... I'm in line, but I won't know what I'll do if I find out my order won't be filled on the first batch! Been on order since beginning of May and paid in full first of June so I'm definitely not the first in line...

Mike

The more I deal with the people at Vortex, the more impressed I become. And this from a guy who is characterized as having unreasonably high expectations... of everything.

I had a PST on order through Scott, the time got long, Scott made me a deal on a Razor I couldn't refuse and now I'm a happy camper. There were a couple tiny issues with the Razor and Vortex treated me like royalty. I think I was without it a total of a week AND they let me trade reticle styles mid-stream.

I can't speak highly enough of the whole organization. From the top down they seem to "get it" and I will gladly put my dollars into a company like that. I'm going to be building another Tikka 300WM like mine for my boy while he's in Iraq and it's going to get a 4-16 PST FFP.

John

Don't get me wrong, I've still got a Vortex PST on order. Actually I'm new to the long range game, and this will be my first "real" scope. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago despite knowing that this series of scopes had a sort of sordid past and still hadn't shipped despite almost a year of delays.

I just couldn't drop the coin on a NF at 2x the price when I was confident based on what I had read that Vortex was going to deliver a product superior to everything else in its price range, with better features than some scopes almost double the cost.

But the bottom line is I have a new rifle I've sunk a few grand into so far with no glass on it, and the temperature outside is dropping rapidly. I'd sure love a couple weekends with it at the range before the snow starts and I'm packed up until spring. Seeing ship dates quoted as "Maybe mid November" to "End of December" to "February" coming from vendors doesn't instill a lot of confidence on that happening and that has me looking more closely for deals on used glass..

Heck, I even considered going big and getting a Razor HD at one point, but I'd already bought BO 30mm rings and didn't want to have the added expense of having to rebuy rings / sell old rings AND spending > 2x as much on a scope.

Anyway. I understand that they're doing everything they can to make sure that these scopes are as perfect as they can be, and I <span style="font-weight: bold">really</span> like the fact that they have representatives actively posting on this forum, but as someone with some experience in the manufacturing industry and the associated delays I've got to wonder what is really going on that a product can be delayed this much over "loose" turrets..

Everyone, These scopes are damned sure worth waiting for, I love my 6-24, I couldnt afford a $1,500+ scope. And was tired of a mk4 6-20, these scopes are worth more than what the msrp is on them! Damn fine products. If you wait and get one, you will not be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sam, might you be willing to at least provide some context? A lot of folks have asked the question "gee why is this taking so long to fix some turrets" but the indication is that we dont even know if that was the only fix.

Can you help us understand as a community some of the polish-type things you guys are driving to be better on this product? </div></div>

Sure, I'll do my best.

As you know the main complaints on the few we sent out were that the turrets didn't have firm enough clicks and they were too easy to turn. In addition, I believe there was one scope that got a glob of grease on one of the ocular lenses inside the scope.

To improve the turrets it wasn't just as simple as taking apart the turret and "fixing it".

We had to completely re-engineer the turret mechanism to improve the click and we literally threw away all the old turrets, eating the cost ourselves. The old design just wasn't capable of being improved to our satisfaction.

Even then, once we had the new design on paper we still needed to see a good sample size of prototyes to confirm the design and the new assembly process. This required new tooling and new tooling always seems to take a LONG time.

At this stage it essentially goes like this: New design -> wait for tooling to be completed -> wait for prototypes to be made -> test prototypes.

It's rare that a first prototype is ever 100%, so if it isn't, you have to start that whole process over again with whatever tweaks were made.

Once you've finally approved the prototypes, then you have to get the production line up and running again, which also takes quite a bit of time.

Regarding the grease blob, we did re-tool the assembly area/process to make sure that it was as clean as can be to avoid anything like that happening again. This also took some time.

Finally, we revamped our internal inspection process and in fact we even invested in quite a bit of new equipment to help us with that. That equipment took time to make and put in place.

So, even though we may have the final prototypes that work 100%, have the production line up and running, and may even know the date when the first shipment is coming in, until they have been 100% inspected in house and passed I am reluctant to say anything and get peoples hopes up.

In retrospect I see a lot of things that we did wrong with our initial release of the PST's last SHOT Show and I feel really bad about that. I really wish we just wouldn't have even introduced them, but unfortunately I can't go back and change that.

However, we have learned a lot from this and we have certainly changed the way that we develop and introduce product to avoid this ever happening again.

Anyway, I know this doesn't make the wait any better and I'm very sorry that it ended up this way, but hopefully you all will find the wait worth it and we can get PSTs out to customers soon.

-Sam

Thanks Sam, transparency like that makes the wait a teeny bit easier. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on one.

Well I'm impressed. Took a loss to make sure the company got it right. Makes me glad I bought a crossfire and spent money, albeit small, towards a company that is worth supporting and spending my money for now and in the future. Don't ever lose that attitude Vortex.

Flyingbullseye

I don't care if they come out this year or next year, I'm still getting atleast two!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oddball-Six said:
So, even though we may have the final prototypes that work 100%, have the production line up and running, and may even know the date when the first shipment is coming in, until they have been 100% inspected in house and passed I am reluctant to say anything and get peoples hopes up.

-Sam </div></div>

Just because I want to see it....I read this with a glimmer of hope and a light at the end of our tunnel. My three on order my be just around the corner
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cluebat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Sam, transparency like that makes the wait a teeny bit easier. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on one.</div></div>

Agreed.

Sam, your company definitely has my respect, and I can be patient a few months more if thats whats necessary given your company's commitment to quality and your willingness to engage and answer the community and at the end of the day deliver a quality product.

I was very interested in getting one of these scopes since they where first discussed. I also refused to pre-order to avoid frustration in any delays which I thought most likely could happen.

I hope when they are available for delivery that there won't be any price increases.