• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions

Re: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions

What I did before trusting mine whatsoever was to compare it to a known good reticle.

Used JonA's method. Get yourself exactly 100yds from a vertically placed yardstick. I used my Razor's reticle, 10 mils on the reticle was exactly the length of the yardstick.

Then went to the ZeroPoint, lined everything up, and 10 mils in the reticle was roughly 36" in the boresighter. I say roughly because the lines are so thick in the zero point, and its not the highest definition image you are looking at.

You know I never heard anyone from nightforce, or Leupold ever chim in like that. Nice to see these guys making scopes for us and on hear talking to use!!! When my new rig gets here form APA I think I'll be looking at the PST for it! Well done guys!

anyone know how the tracking and durability are compared to the SS 3-9x40 ffp mil/mil and the bushy elite 4200 3-12 ffp mil/mil? seems like these are the 2 big competitors at this price point. i have to say, i much prefer the pst's reticle to a standard mil dot, but if it cant perform or hold up like the others can, theres no use in buying it.

Any truth to the rumor that these scopes are on the US no export list? I find it hard to believe, not to mention understand, that I can buy a Bushnell/NF/USO/S&B/Zeiss MIL/MIL scope from the US, but not the Vortex. From what I could gather this seems to be the case.

I spoke to the Scandinavian distributor in Denmark, but he seemed totally uninterested in selling me one of these scopes. Also, the mentioned price of $1800 USD seems like a rather high markup for my taste.

-R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rassmussen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any truth to the rumor that these scopes are on the US no export list? I find it hard to believe, not to mention understand, that I can buy a Bushnell/NF/USO/S&B/Zeiss MIL/MIL scope from the US, but not the Vortex. From what I could gather this seems to be the case.

I spoke to the Scandinavian distributor in Denmark, but he seemed totally uninterested in selling me one of these scopes. Also, the mentioned price of $1800 USD seems like a rather high markup for my taste.

-R</div></div>

I saw a Vortex rep in another thread that they have European distribution, so I would say that rumor is not true.

It's not that they won't be selling them, but the price they are going to charge is ridiculous.

Why in the world would I pay $1000USD more for the exact same scope in Europe/Scandinavia compared to the US. Then I would rather buy the scope in the US and have it shipped to me.

-R

Ive heard some scopes are prohibited from being shipped outside the US due to the Reticle for some reason? Dont know anything about it, thats just what Ive read some places. Buddy also just sold an S&B on Ebay and I remember him saying he wasnt able to ship outside CONUS due to restrictions.

Best thing to do is call Vortex, you wont be dissapointed you did I can assure you that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rassmussen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any truth to the rumor that these scopes are on the US no export list? I find it hard to believe, not to mention understand, that I can buy a Bushnell/NF/USO/S&B/Zeiss MIL/MIL scope from the US, but not the Vortex. From what I could gather this seems to be the case.

-R </div></div>

I'm sorry, it wasn't clear by your post that you were asking if they were on the do not export list because you were interested in buying from an American seller, I assumed that's part of what you were asking.

-R </div></div>

WKT Supply seems to be a Norwegian distributor, or atleast they advertise the PST (probably the first edition) on their website. The 6-25 is listed at about 8000 NOK, not bad if that's the FFP model.
Is there truth in the rumour? I doubt it. For years certain US retailers have been saying about all scopes that just because they can be mounted on a weapon, they cannot be exported. And some say that if it has a Mil-Dot reticle it is a Military optic so it can't be exported
smirk.gif
By that logic a EBR-1 reticle shouldn't raise any red flags at the US customs office as it doesn't have the word "Mil" in it (Which ofcourse stands for Milliradian and not Military like some of them believe). Lol.
I have never had any trouble buying other scopes with Mil reticles from the US, and I highly doubt the Viper PST should be any different..

-R </div></div>

We do not have any products that are on the do not export list. Where the confusion lies is in the fact that US dealers can not legally ship to certain countries. We currently have distributors in most foreign countries, but because most of these countries have high import taxes and since the price usually already includes a double digit sales tax the prices seem to work there way up, because of this you really cant go by US prices(which dont include sales tax). In a lot of European countries you can safely assume that most prices include a 15%-20% or greater sales tax already included. If you have any questions about international sales you can contact our international sales manager at [email protected]

Scott

Scott,

you are over your PM limit.

what can you tell me about this scope ? Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MOA

do you have this same scope without illumination ?

looking hard at it for 22-243 coyote rig.

Eye relief, glass, reticle (more details)...

thanks !
Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

you are over your PM limit.

what can you tell me about this scope ? Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MOA

do you have this same scope without illumination ?

looking hard at it for 22-243 coyote rig.

Eye relief, glass, reticle (more details)...

thanks !
Scott </div></div>

2.5-10X44 PST MIL-RAD

2.5-10X44 PST MOA

These links should have all the info you are looking for.

There will be a model later this year with out illumination,capped turrets,and bdc reticle in the HS series.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will the same MOA reticle be available in this HS series ? </div></div> For now the moa reticle will only be available in the PST's and Razor

Scott

I'm really looking forward to updated reviews. Is the only thing that was adressed the issue of the "mushy" clicks? So everything else on the newly released scopes will be the same as the original ones right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really looking forward to updated reviews. Is the only thing that was adressed the issue of the "mushy" clicks? So everything else on the newly released scopes will be the same as the original ones right? </div></div>

I dont think it was "mushy" clicks, the clicks were tactile and audible, just too easy to turn. With the amount of time its taken I wouldnt be surprised if they improved some other aspects as well.

JonA should have his replacement very soon it sounds like, so hopefully well get the review within the week!

Also I think Sam was saying that they've also improved their QA regarding the slight (albeit within specs) reticle cant along with improving QA through the entire process, which includes new equipment to be used in conjuction with QA. I've been very impressed with Vortex as a company. As far as customer service goes in making sure the customer is taken care of and listening to consumers and users and making sure they're putting out what the users want, they, as a company, should be the benchmark of what other companies should strive to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My replacement should ship today! </div></div>

Looking forward to the review of the replacement! Also noticing some places saying they have them in-house now. Can't wait for that back-order to be filled!!

I have been tracking all of the threads on the Vortex Viper PST for a while now and have decided to pre-order one finally. After reviewing the threads over and over I haven't come across anything comparing the 4-16x50mm model to the 6-24x50mm model in terms of potential variancess in brightness, clarity, and eye relief across the magnification range. Does anyone own both models, and if so how do you feel about the differences?

I have a tight grouping savage in .308 that I would like to top off with either of these tubes, yet I wanted to gather some collective opinions. I spoke with Scott at LO and he made it clear that he was very impressed with the unit considering its price point, based on his very short amount of time spent with it. I am sold on Vortex's CS as a whole and this community seems to be very comfortable with them as well.

I am very excited about the potential price-performance value that the PST line has to offer, and I want to thank you guys for the time and energy you have put into informing the greater community. I am ready to shed my POS Leupold Rifleman and look forward to using this product in a month or two. I look forward to the next review!

I like the 6-24 range, if its not usable on 24x then you can dial it down to 20-22x and it will be fine. You cant dial the 16x up any higher. They both have 50mm lenses with identical glass, so on the same magnification they SHOULD look identical. And there in lies the beauty of FFP, if you want to hold over on targets less than 600yds you wont want to be on max mag anyway.

But there has to be a compromise somewhere... hence the question. Where and how does the 6-24 perform worse than the 4-16 and just how bad is it? My guess would be dropoff in low light performance at higher mags. as well as a potential lack of sharpness or contrast. Perhaps some tunneling. But it would be good to have it quantified. I'm sure there are more than a few trying to figure out which direction to go.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott are you guys gonna be at SHOT this year ?

If so, what booth ?

If not, will the Vortex scopes be there at someones booth ? </div></div>

Yes, we are going to SHOT. We have two booths. One in the general area (booth # 4151/4251) and one in the Mil/LE area (booth # 20439).

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess would be dropoff in low light performance at higher mags. as well as a potential lack of sharpness or contrast. Perhaps some tunneling. But it would be good to have it quantified.</div></div>

Here are Scott's photos of a pre-production 6-24:

6x

viper-pst_6-25x50_mil-low.jpg

24x

viper-pst_6-25x50_mil-high.jpg

I had forgotten about these...

From these limited photos, it looks like there is a little light falloff at 24x but not bad and fairly sharp for where the scope is focused (we could have learned a lot more if it was focused on the tree branches. My favorite resolution test). A little bit of red CA <span style="font-weight: bold">(EDIT: after looking hard at this photo what I saw to be red CA may actually be an artifact caused be the brown branches being slightly out of focus)</span>, but not horrible and a slight amount of tunnelling <span style="font-weight: bold">(but this could be how the pic was taken)</span>. But for a sub-$1000 scope with all these features, a pretty good job. I'd like to see side-by-side pics with the 6.5-20 Loopy.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RatPatrole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't come across anything comparing the 4-16x50mm model to the 6-24x50mm model in terms of potential variancess in brightness, clarity, and eye relief across the magnification range. Does anyone own both models, and if so how do you feel about the differences?</div></div>
Hopefully I'll have both pretty soon. I'll do some comparisons.

Well, the replacement 4-16 is here. Now I haven't shot with it yet or even looked through it in daylight but figured you guys would like to know:

Turret feel--fantastic! Much stiffer and solid feel, much less likely to turn accidentally. Very quality feel.

Tracking check--reticle is straight as an arrow. Clicks are dead nuts on--or as I said with the Premier earlier in this thread if there's any deviation it's smaller than the accuracy to which I can measure. Perfect as far as I'm concerned.

That's it. Sorry if this highly anticipated review was anti-climactic, but that's the way I like it. I'll take no drama any day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, the replacement 4-16 is here. Now I haven't shot with it yet or even looked through it in daylight but figured you guys would like to know:

Turret feel--fantastic! Much stiffer and solid feel, much less likely to turn accidentally. Very quality feel.

Tracking check--reticle is straight as an arrow. Clicks are dead nuts on--or as I said with the Premier earlier in this thread if there's any deviation it's smaller than the accuracy to which I can measure. Perfect as far as I'm concerned.

That's it. Sorry if this highly anticipated review was anti-climactic, but that's the way I like it. I'll take no drama any day. </div></div>

Jon I appreciate it. I've been waiting for awhile for these things to get fixed. Encouraging news!

Awesome to hear that they worked things out, and that they met your expectations. No reason for a bigger review if thats all there was to say! Do you think that they modified the glass or changed anything optically?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turret feel--fantastic! Much stiffer and solid feel, much less likely to turn accidentally. Very quality feel.

Tracking check--reticle is straight as an arrow. Clicks are dead nuts on--or as I said with the Premier earlier in this thread if there's any deviation it's smaller than the accuracy to which I can measure. Perfect as far as I'm concerned.</div></div>

Congratulations to Scott and Sam and the whole crew at Vortex. I know you guys have been working hard to make this happen. It's been a long 6 months... But it's got to feel good to get this positive field report.

Well done and thanks for your presence hear and willingness to listen... even when it's bad news.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, the replacement 4-16 is here. Now I haven't shot with it yet or even looked through it in daylight but figured you guys would like to know:

That's it. Sorry if this highly anticipated review was anti-climactic, but that's the way I like it. I'll take no drama any day. </div></div>

Good to hear. Keep us updated on how everything works out. Is the glass any better? Just speculation. I'm highly considering this scope for my 20" SPR build. Like the price/features so far.

can anyone chime in on how durable these pst's are? i know nightforces can take one hell of a beating and hold a zero pretty well, whats about these? i know its like apples to oranges, but just thinking about how durable they will be. seem like the best buy for a sub $1000 ffp mil/mil scope so far.

Sam@Vortex has chimed in on this on the previous page saying he believes these scopes will be incredibly durable.

after reading all of this, I think this will be the scope I purchase.

jona- can you confirm that everything on the now released scope is the same as before, except the straight reticle and stiffer knobs?

Considering these were the only real deal breakers, it's good to know. How's the glass quality? Is it the same as before? I'm gonna seriously look at these while at SHOT...I think Vortex might have a winner here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jona- can you confirm that everything on the now released scope is the same as before, except the straight reticle and stiffer knobs? </div></div>
Yes, everything else is exactly the same. I did get a chance to look through the glass a bit today and it seems to be the same as well.

The only thing different you'll notice in use is the much stiffer turrets.

JonA, what's your impression of the glass? What would you compare it to?

Flyingbullseye

Glad to hear the bugs were worked out. I'll be ordering one up shortly.
smile.gif
Good job guys

Does anyone else feel the prices of the 4-16x50 and the 6.5-24x50mm are to close together? 850$ and 900$. Not that they aren't great deals but wouldn't the 4-16x50mm sale more priced at say around 750$?

Re: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressio

Now that's a new one, hmmm. Snds like my B.I.L. no matter how good a deal it is he ALWAYS is trying to get it cheaper, unless it is him selling whatever it is then its worth top dollar, call Scott at liberty optics and see if he has anything comparable to what you are looking at

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone else feel the prices of the 4-16x50 and the 6.5-24x50mm are to close together? 850$ and 900$. Not that they aren't great deals but wouldn't the 4-16x50mm sale more priced at say around 750$? </div></div>

I think regardless of what you may think the 4-16 SHOULD sell for, the fact of the matter is 1, you are getting a hell of a lot of scope for the price, not to mention arguably the best CS in the optics industry, and 2, from what it appears to be, at the price point they're offering, there are a HELL of a lot of pre-orders and people waiting on these so obviously $850 for the 4-16 and $900 for the 6-24 are very fair prices. It doesn't take a business degree to realize that.

He is speaking of MAP prices. If you think about it, what difference is there between the 4-16 and the 6-24 besides the zoom...nothing is the answer. Same size tube, same size objective, same knobs, same illumination.

So why do you think it should cost any less at all? I think they are doing you a favor by making it $50 cheaper. I would venture to guess that it doesnt cost any less to manufacture the 4-16 than the 6-24

I'm seriously considering the Vortex Viper PST for my Savage 10 Precision Carbine in 308. Still trying to figure out whether to go with the 4-16 or 6-24. I doubt I will be shooting at 1000 yds. It will be both a hunting and target setup. Hunting for hogs at distance and paper or steel targets.

This is my first foray into long range shooting.

Suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottTX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm seriously considering the Vortex Viper PST for my Savage 10 Precision Carbine in 308. Still trying to figure out whether to go with the 4-16 or 6-24. I doubt I will be shooting at 1000 yds. It will be both a hunting and target setup. Hunting for hogs at distance and paper or steel targets.

This is my first foray into long range shooting.

Suggestions? </div></div>

One thing to consider when A-B-ing these two scopes... the 4-16 has a .06 mil thick reticle and the 6-24 has a .04. If you want to shoot itty-bitty things, the 6-24 will most likely be better.

John