• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-2C Unboxing

blboyd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2005
Conroe, TX
boydtechsolutions.com
So I finally got my hands on the new EBR-2C reticle and I thought I would share with the community. I have a EBR-1 reticle and absolutely love it and I was in need of another piece of glass.

First a little about myself. I've been shooting for 25 years and while I own many handguns and shotguns, rifles are my favorite. My shotguns put food on the table and my handguns are my daily carry. I love the aspect of precision shooting. I've shot a couple F-Class matches and I've been able to hold 1MOA at 600 yds. The farthest I've taken a shot is 825yds on a 8" piece of steel. That was the most fun I've had with my clothes on!

I started by purchasing my Rem700 PSS .308 almost 10 years ago. I started with a cheap BSA scope. Then I ended up buying a Burris XTR when they first came out. It was the most expensive piece of glass I had ever owned. It has served it's purpose for many years and it served well. Now I'm spending more time over 500yds and I needed something that would take me to 1,000.

Bangstick in question...
Remington 700PSS in .308 Win
HS Precision stock bedded by me
Factory tube
Warne 20MOA base
Burris XTR Rings
IMG_3824_resize.JPG

Enough about the rifle... now onto the glass.
I've been wanting a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP for about a year now. Then they announced the new EBR-2C reticle as SHOT back in Feb so I was holding out for that. Then a couple weeks ago I had a almost new EBR-1 reticle fall in my lap. That's why I have them side by side. Then just last week I found the unicorn... an EBR-2C! I called Alan at A&A Optics and he was excellent to deal with. Hooked me up and even sent some swag.

Here's some side by side shots.
EBR-2C on left / EBR-1 on left
IMG_3785_resize.JPG

IMG_3786_resize.JPG

The scopes are almost indistinguishable from the outside. The major difference is the zoom ring.
Rubber over aluminum ring (EBR-1)
IMG_3797_resize2.JPG

Solid aluminum ring (EBR-2C)
IMG_3798_resize2.JPG

I only have one complaint and it's so minor it's hard to call a complaint. The zoom ring is very difficult to move. I'm not sure if it will get a little more fluid after some use. I'm looking into a Switchview for it.

Now onto the money shot.... the reticles. (Standard disclaimer - For those of you who have tried to shoot pics through a scope you know the difficulty involved. The brightest and contrast of the glass is not done justice shooting through the camera. These scopes are equal in brightest and contrast and are absolutely outstanding.)
EBR-1 @ 6X
IMG_3805_resize.JPG

EBR-1 @ 24X
IMG_3808_resize.JPG

EBR-2C @ 6X
IMG_3818_resize.JPG

EBR-2C @ 24X
IMG_3813_resize.JPG

I'm not a fan of the reticles that are very busy and I think this one is perfect. I feel it's the happy medium between bare-bone mildots and a Horus. I've been looking for something in my price range that would help with wind calls... now I can't wait to get her mounted up and sling some lead.

Well I just got cut off by the forum with the 10 pic limit so I'll make another post....
A couple more pics inbound

Brandon

...Continued from above...

Accessories
Sundhade
Zero-stop shims
Vortex lapel pin
Torx wrench
Lint-free cloth
IMG_3827_resize.JPG

Reticle Subtensions
IMG_3829_resize.JPG

Overall Impression
Both of my Vortex Vipers are amazing. The glass is the best I've looked through. I wish I had more pics including sending lead downrange but I just got the scope in the mail a couple hours ago. I'll try to get some more pics soon. I have a hunting trip scheduled in two months where I can shoot 825yds so I plan to put these through their paces.

If anybody has any questions don't hesitate to holler.

Thanks for checking out!
Brandon

I just got one a month or so ago and definitely like it. The illumination is very even as well even if the picture doesnt show it that well.

I have the 6-24 ebr-1 with the aluminum ring. My only complaint is to me the eye box seems very sensitive at 24x, other than that I love it.

Thanks for the bench review and the tip on where to find the EBR-2C reticle... I called Alan this morning (Sunday) and he took my payment and info on the spot. Can't wait to get my new scope in a couple days!!!
I had been milling over what optic to put on a 308 AR platform DMR style rifle for weeks and when I finally settled on the Vortex- I realized everyone was backordered everywhere.
You and Alan at A&A Optics made my day!

I hope that SWFA is working on a simple Christmas tree reticle in Mil/mil. If not Bushy or Vortex will be my next scope.

You know, I'd really like to trade my Nightforce for that 6-24 with the EBR2C reticle. I really like that.

Thanks! Just ordered one! Alan is awesome to deal with. My scope ships out monday!
To Optics Planet, a very big screw you from me. You won't get my business again.

A&A Optics Vortex Scopes | Rifle Scopes | Red Dots | Binoculars | Range Finders | Spotting Scopes
The EBR reticle Viper PST's aren't listed on the website yet, but I'd give Alan a call.
He told me that he had a bunch of Viper PST's with the new reticle. several MOA and MIL versions in stock when I ordered on 8/10/2014.
Mine should arrive in a day or two. The price was the same as posted everywhere else, Alan was a pleasure to deal with.

hide pricing mill ,mil, please mike.

Mikes great to deal with...
Or a khales, with msr...
:confused: Hymmm, people but for the price maybe worth an outting.
Pelican...
I'm sure it's tuff to beat... Warranty an all...

Thanks for the pics. I do like that reticle. I have two 6-24x56 FFP PST scopes with EBR-1C. I contacted Vortex back in early July about the possibility of sending in my scopes to have the reticles upgraded to the EBR-2C model. They were very responsive but said it would probably be a year before they worked through the back log and had extra reticles available. Guess I will just have to be jealous for a year...

i had one on backlog with an online vendor and Alan hooked me up with what i needed, no more waiting.

+1 for A&A Optics for price and service

Got my viper pst's ebr2c last Wednesday, checked Euro optics web site at 7:50 pm Friday night of prior week an they were up on the site. called immediately an bought 2 of the last 3 they had in that weeks shipment. Been using both everyday out to 640yds, dang crops, corn, is in the way to go any further atm. I had been on the back order list at several places for months also. Neighbor down the road a ways, has beef cows so I asked him if he would measure one particular cow in height for me, he was very curious as to why, so I explained if he measured the cow an came over for a beer I would show him why I wanted the info. He estimates his cow is 934 yds from my front porch, He is a good guy an a county sheriff so he is borrowing my 243 with a ebr2c to do a little coyote sniping.

Well this thread is the reason I just ordered anther PST but now with the EBR-2C. Can't wait to shoot it. Looks awesome!!! Thanks for the details, blboyd!

I love the look of the EBRC2 reticle. Does anyone know if Vortex plans to offer it on the 4-16x50 PST? If not I may end up with the 6-24 but I don't need quite that much scope and would like the smaller package of the 4-16.

In the pictures it looks like you can only see roughly 6.5 mils at full magnification. How high can you turn up the magnification and still see a full 8 mils?

In the pictures it looks like you can only see roughly 6.5 mils at full magnification. How high can you turn up the magnification and still see a full 8 mils?

I just unboxed mine about an hour ago. You can get the full 10 mil on the reticle up to about 16x. 8 mils is visible up to around 21x.

Thank you!

No problem.

After getting it home this evening I waited until 30-45 min after sunset and went out to the woods behind my house. I was really impressed with how much light was coming through. It would certainly be more than adequate in all legal hunting hours.

I really like the EBR-2C reticle. I was ranging my neighbors houses (250-750 yards) based on my estimate of their window and front door heights. If they put this reticle on the 4-16x50 PST I'll probably end up with one of them as well.

Just talked to Vortex. They are dumping all EBR-2C reticles into scopes at the moment. They estimate in 3-4 months they would be able to stay swapping out reticles. Take caution though... It's a $300 price tag to sweep reticles.