• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope

guido576

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
i am interested in this Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope, due price range under 1000. anyone have experience with this scope and would to provide some feed back. thank you

Re: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope

I like mine good glass has all the features you could ask for. I'm very happy given the price.

i have a freind who has the sfp version and have used it at the range and to be honest for the price i think it is a great scope, is it as clear or a rugged as a uso or s&b no but for the oney you cant go wrong. when i first look through it i was pleasently impressed at how clear the glass is and i love the riticle (moa) and it has some really nice features such as the clicks for the mag settings as well as ill having an off notch between settings.

imyself and the owner have only used it once since mounting it but so far it seems to track well and seems to be repeatable.

for the price i dont see you being dissapointed when you get it and i would go so far as to say you will most likley be very impressed.

thanks, guys. on my positive list.

Tested mine using the old reliable box test. It passed.
Then I tested moving from 100 yd zero to 300 and back to 100. It passed.
Same from 100 to 400 and 100 to 500. It passed every time.
I shot the rifle at the next LR match, distances from 600 to 1000. Resolution was great. I could see hits at 1000 yds with the scope set at 24X.
Mine is the 6-24x50 FFP with mil everything. I really like the fit and features on the scope. I think maybe the best "under $1000" scope out there today.

thank you shoot4fun. I was worried about tracking. how do the knobs feel. are there any worries about accidental movement int the knobs.

I have the vortex viper and it has good glass and features but I am disappointed with the eye box. The sight window is very small and any head movement and I lose some sight picture which is bad for a hunting rifle. I bought it without ever seeing one. It is comparable to the bushnell 4200.
I am gettin a new scope for my 300rum build and can't decide between the viper pst or sightron siii. Does the pst have the bad sight picture also, or is it fixed. I don't have anywhere to go to compare them. Can't fit a nightforce in my budget

I had the PST and sold it to purchase the new Sightron S3 LRMOA. I felt like the eye relief was really finicky on the PST, any head movement caused problems. I don't have that problem with the Sightron S3 and for my eyes,I feel like the Sightron has better glass and the new turrets are very crisp. You won't be disappointed with the Sightron. Good luck.

that's what I was scared about. I really like all the features on the pst but was scared to buy another one with the same problem as the one I have. hoped they would have fixed that problem. that sightron LRMOA looks good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rodeo Trash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the PST and sold it to purchase the new Sightron S3 LRMOA. I felt like the eye relief was really finicky on the PST, any head movement caused problems. I don't have that problem with the Sightron S3 and for my eyes,I feel like the Sightron has better glass and the new turrets are very crisp. You won't be disappointed with the Sightron. Good luck. </div></div>

I have the pst and my FIL has the S3 LRMOA, and I find that the S3 is alot pickier on the eye relief/box. I have alot of trouble shooting his, it seems like the smallest movement and you lose sight picture. The PST also has alot of nice features the S3 does not, like; lighted reticle, zero stop, yards on the paralax knob that are dead on, power ring with notches it kinda drops in so you know exactly where 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x are for your reticle. The PST's turrets are much firmer than the S3's too, the s3's seem pretty firm but once you click it it kinda wants to keep clicking.

The new SIII blows the pants off the PST.

I have both and there is no comparison they are not in the same ball park.

I did not go into a huge debate because it is not, Sightron does things differently with this more modern scope. LINK TO SIGHTRON SIII REVIEWS http://www.opticstalk.com/sightron-scope-reviews-siii-1050-and-624-wip_topic28915.html

See this Simple review of a few scopes PST, SIII, SWFA HD http://www.opticstalk.com/updated-nice-day-at-the-rangeswfa-ss-520x50_topic29500.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LAPUASLAPU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new SIII blows the pants off the PST.

I have both and there is no comparison they are not in the same ball park.

I did not go into a huge debate because it is not, Sightron does things differently with this more modern scope. LINK TO SIGHTRON SIII REVIEWS http://www.opticstalk.com/sightron-scope-reviews-siii-1050-and-624-wip_topic28915.html

See this Simple review of a few scopes PST, SIII, SWFA HD http://www.opticstalk.com/updated-nice-day-at-the-rangeswfa-ss-520x50_topic29500.html </div></div>

How do you compare a FFP scope with a SFP scope? Without having the FFP option in the SIII you can't compair the two. FFP is vital with accurate ranging and quick adjustments on target. JMO.

Good luck,
Merritt

I was maybe reading the previous post wrong than.

i have the 4-16 mil/mil FFP and i love it. The optics are clear, as has been said they arent a S&B but theyre clear. and the tracking has been great. The first day i brought it out, i zeroed it and then used a ballistic calculator on my droid to play with it. i shot a group at 100, and then one shot at steel at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards but in random order and adjusting the turrets for each shot, and then came back to shoot another group at 100 and it was dead on. The scope just feels well made, the turrets are really nice. The turrets are a big thing for me because you end up messing with them a lot and its something that i want to feel nice, the PST definitely delivers. A lot of people talk about the reliability and durability being untested, and while they havent been through any rigorous durability testing that i know of, they feel well put together and tough, and hell if you break it for any reason theyll give you a new one no questions asked, so how can you go wrong. I'm not saying you should go put one on your duty rifle. Really, for the price you cant go wrong with the PST IMO.

You can't beat the PST for all of the features and they are very nice scopes. It just didn't work for me. If your looking for all of the features that the PST has to offer, like the FFP, iluminated reticle and so on then go with the PST. I would not be surprised is Sightron doesn't start offering more features. One thin about the Sightron that I really like a long with the glass and the repeatability is how much elevation adjustment they have. I counted mine from top to bottom and I came up with 431 clicks which I believe is about 107 MOA of travel up and 107 MOA travel down. I do miss not having the zero stop and the PST's turrets are easier to read. Good luck.