• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP CRS shims

Heliman

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2014
I shoot a 7MM Rem Mag model 111 with a flat back action. I purchased this scope to start shooting longer distances. I also purchased a 20 MOA Badger Steel rail. After shooting it and zeroing at 200, I used every shim that was provided and only have 27 MOA of up adjustment. Has anyone ran into this issue and if so, is this normal?

I shoot a 7MM Rem Mag model 111 with a flat back action. I purchased this scope to start shooting longer distances. I also purchased a 20 MOA Badger Steel rail. After shooting it and zeroing at 200, I used every shim that was provided and only have 27 MOA of up adjustment. Has anyone ran into this issue and if so, is this normal?

The shims don't give you anymore elevation. They are made to limit down travel.

The scope has 65 MOA of elevation. With the 20 MOA base it gives you a possible 52.5 MOA with windage perfectly centered and the planets aligned. If you used any windage during zero then it will cut down on your elevation travel as it's pushing the erector towards the side of the tube. Usually when people have these troubles especially when mounting it to a factory rifle it comes down to either the base holes are drilled crooked requiring a lot of windage to zero or a scope issue. Check how much windage you have both right and left from your zero now.

Rob01, thank you for your response. I do understand the purpose and function of the shims. I have also checked the windage and it is almost dead center. Just a few clicks left. Like I said before, I used every shim I had just to set my zero stop which took away a significant amount of elevation adjustment. With a 20 MOA rail, I should have way more adjustment than that. Thanks

Rob01, thank you for your response. I do understand the purpose and function of the shims. I have also checked the windage and it is almost dead center. Just a few clicks left. Like I said before, I used every shim I had just to set my zero stop which took away a significant amount of elevation adjustment. With a 20 MOA rail, I should have way more adjustment than that. Thanks

I have more than that with a 0 moa base and 6x24 HS-T with a 200 yrd zero(same amount of travel as PST), 31 moa to be exact, I'd say something is amiss as I'd guess your missing over 20 MOA!

Did you check to see if the mount needed to be bedded?
Take out the shims and see what the total travel is?
What rings?

The rings are Vortex 30mm tactical (low) 6 bolt. I have put these on many rifles with good results. The base was a perfect fit and I chose not to take Badgers advise and use red Loctite as a bedding material.
I took all the shims out without messing with the windage and I had 63 MOA of elevation travel. Still not too sure why I only have 27 MOA of elevation travel.

Did you put the mount on the proper direction?

Just checking.

This is not uncommon on factory rifles. We must always remember that the whole reason scopes have adjustments is to correct for misalignment's in the rifle. Here are some things we have to take into consideration- bore curvature(that's a long whole to drill perfectly straight), Barrel tenon threading and shoulder, barrel nut bias(if your gun uses a barrel nut), action trueness (to include action face, base mounting holes and surface,etc..).

Generally, the only time the scope(any brand scope) can be the culprit in these situations is if the scope tube is physically bent. Which is not very common. I can count on one hand how many bent scope tubes I have seen.

To the OP,
If you would like to get more elevation on this particular rifle your best bet is to go to a 30 or 40moa base.
If you have any questions at all feel free to contact me anytime.

Best Regards
Scott

The action Savage and is a flat back with round front. Only goes on 1 way. Thanks though.