• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes vortex viper pst ffp 4-16 vs 6-24

Re: vortex viper pst ffp 4-16 vs 6-24

I recently bought the 4-16 because it was available for a 20" AR.

When the 6-24 is available, I will buy one for my .308 bolt gun with a 20 MOA base.

I am very impressed by the scope.

ETA
The AR is for DM matches that run 100-600 yds. I have used it to 700 meters with a 10x.

I find that min magnification is as important as max mag. 6x as a low power is too high. I think 3 or 4 is much better. If your just a UKD shooter or paper puncher the low end wouldn't matter but because you are looking at a FFP I assumed you were neither. I would look at the 4-16 personally. Up to 1k you are good to go.

I prefer the 4-16 (have one on order with Liberty Optics). I like the more compact size (1.8 inches shorter) and more elevation adjustment. When shooting at 1000 yards, I typically use 10 or 12 power, so the 4-16 is plenty magnification.

I had a 4-16 FFP on my 308, it was about perfect. I don't see the need to go with the 6-24 unless it is on a dedicated 1000 yard shooter.

What kinda rifle is this going on?

One thing I might recommend is if it for a target rifle, get the SFP, the reticle is more fine.

I like the 4-16 for most guns unless it was a magnum caliber I'd get the little guy

If I am going to use one on a Rem. 700 arc-sd .308 and shoot no more than 800 yds, which one would you recommend? what is the difference between sfp and ffp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oham1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am going to use one on a Rem. 700 arc-sd .308 and shoot no more than 800 yds, which one would you recommend? what is the difference between sfp and ffp? </div></div>

what size targets r u shooting?..

out to 800 16x should be fine..

the main use on my gun is killing ground hogs... for that, a 16x is "ok" to 700... past that all my guns are 20/24x

I have the 4-16 and have no complaints, but, I always wish I had more magnification. With a target the size of a groundhog go with 24x SFP. "Tactical" shooting? 4-16 FFP IMO.