• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper pst gen 2 1x6 illumination question ??

Sandhog308

Petty Officer of the Hide
Minuteman
  • May 14, 2020
    Between the Ozark and Ouachitas
    Bought a Vortex Viper 1x6 pst gen 2 scope a few days ago. I like it , BUT I have a concern about the illumination.
    Should there be a distinct difference in the brightness/ Illum on the reticle when you turn them from 1 up to 10 ?
    To my eyes they stay the same. Doesn’t matter if it’s set to 1 or 6 power , Illum stays the same size and brightness.
    My Aimpoint ML2 starts as a wee dot but gets bigger as one turns it up.
    Got busy and missed calling Vortex before they closed yesterday. Seeing as it is brand new , wondering if somethings wrong ?
    thanks in advance !
    Sandhog

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you tried it in a bunch of various ambient light conditions? I can't really notice a difference in the illum power (other than on/off) on my PST II 5-25 unless its in pretty low ambient light situations. I would go play with it in a dark room and see if you can tell if it is ramping up in accordance with the power setting.

Last edited:
    No problem, all advice is knowledge, I appreciate the reply !👍 I have tried it in different light conditions , at different settings and powers , but to my old eyes i don’t see much difference.
    Had 2 cataract surgeries over the years and wear no line bifocals , so I figure it’s me 🙈 My daughter is also a shooter , with 20/20 vision. I’ll see what her eyes say ...see ?
    Thanks again !!

No problem, all advice is knowledge, I appreciate the reply !👍 I have tried it in different light conditions , at different settings and powers , but to my old eyes i don’t see much difference.
    Had 2 cataract surgeries over the years and wear no line bifocals , so I figure it’s me 🙈 My daughter is also a shooter , with 20/20 vision. I’ll see what her eyes say ...see ?
    Thanks again !!
    Yes, a very distinct difference. Even in bright conditions. You can’t miss it. Something’s wrong.....

Reactions: 308pirate
    The PST 1-6X is one of the few affordable low power scopes with a daylight visible center dot illumination. It should go from not visible to nuclear bright even in bright sunlight.

Agree that something is wrong. BUT before you go crazy, go change the battery first.

The two fundamental rules of troubleshooting:
    1. Never say "that can't be it"
    2. Always start with the simple things

Reactions: Rob01
    Thanks gentlemen !!
    Replaced the battery that came with the scope with a new battery , and got O illumination ...WTF ?..... Went to the store and bought a fresh 2 pack and BINGO !!! Everything is as it should be 👍 Hopefully it was 2 bad batteries and not the optic. ....or my eyes 😎
    Think I’ll enjoy it !

ps: took it out and replaced it with the original again , same as before. Fresh battery , all bueno !

Last edited:
    Yes. There should be a significant. 1 should be barely noticeable and 10 should burn your eyes out. Jokes aside. Glad you got it fixed. Also, for future reference: That particular scope requires 16-18 in/lbs of torque. I have had customers bring back their illumination mechanism all wrecked because they went ham on the torque.

I torqued it at 15 in/lbs ....Don’t think I over dosed on tightness ?
    Going to shoot/sight in a couple of guns next week when the temps and humidity are lower where I live. I’m pretty much old school on optics and way behind the curve. I am really impressed with the clarity , having the Illum working is sweet ! Can’t wait to shoot with it !
    In 2014 I bought a Toyota Tacoma and the battery went tits up in 2 mts. I have a negative battery ju-ju thing going on 🤔
    Thanks for the advice and reply , much appreciated 👍

The Viper passed my daughters eagle eye test ! She said , dang thats really clear ...
    Hoping she can be my spotter next week !?
    She’ll end up with it , so that’s important !!! 😆
    Shes been shooting awhile , she’s 38 yrs old now. 👍
    2152886E-BECA-4CD3-8E4F-C10C9CD3935D.jpeg