• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST on 338 Lapua??

snipedogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
Florida
Just about to purchase one but wanted to see what you guys that have them think. I had a Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical on my 300 RUM and it held up fine just seeing if any of you have used this on a large caliber gun yet or if you think it'll handle it. My impression is that it will considering the amount of time they put into revising the PST line and I haven't seen anybody really upset with theres yet either. Going to be going with the 6-24X50 MRAD. Thanks in advance!

Re: Vortex Viper PST on 338 Lapua??

It will handle the recoil. Good luck finding the ffp model. Been waiting over a month for one to come in.

I'm going SFP. I don't do enough tactical shooting to neccessarily NEED ffp and I'm going to upgrade it within a few months but I want to at least start with something that can get me competing in the long range stuff I do and handle the recoil. I typically keep it on 24X as the match is between 600 and 1000 yds on 4"-8" steel.

I like the PST line of optics and I have been very happy with mine. But why spend that kind of money on a rifle and then purchase a budget scope on it? I ended up with a Premier on my 338 but that was what I found to fit me best. If I were looking again I would look at Premier Heritage, Vortex Razor HD, or S&B PMII.

Believe me, I'm not trying to "skimp" on the optics but my budget isn't quite in the 2-3k range yet. I will barely have that in my whole set-up. I'm in college so I'm on a budget but I also need to have my time to enjoy my hobby wihout going completely broke. I plan to upgrade to a NF after a few more months of saving.

Went ahead and bought it. Sig might make it more obvious lol. I can't find anything that tells me not to go ahead with this scope. I will definitely be posting some pics once I get everything together and out to the range

I think you made a good choice and you will be happy with it. The resale on these scopes is pretty good. You can probably sell it for $100 less than you paid for it a year down the road if it's in good shape. I don't see myself selling my PST anytime soon.

Thanks ddavis. I slept on it and am still happy with my decision. I'm hoping in the next few months to upgrade or even buy the matching Model 10 HS in 308 and slapping another PST on that too if I'm happy with this scope.

I made the same decision about a month ago. You will not regret it lol. Suck though I sold the rifle I bought the viper for. I got to use it for about 10 shots lol. So now it is chillen in the box.

I ran one on my 338 for about 6 months, until I had the money to upgrade. Never had one problem with 500 rounds down range. I'm running a Razor now and cannot say enough about the company.

gathumper, thanks for the response. was hopint to hear that somebody had used one without issue. Hopefully I'll have the same results with mine. I also believe the company has an outstanding structure and even having a couple of the guys like Scott registered and active members of this site.

I'm looking at the same scope for the Savage model 10FCP HS PREC 5r that I just ordered. Was also looking at the Sightron SIII since SWFA price matched one down to S684 shipped. Now with liberty optics sale this weekend I think the FFP, and illuminated reticle might have sealed my choice. Just trying to figure out what ring height to order. Going to mount on EGW 20moa base.

Does Liberty have the PST in stock? My issue was the wait of getting one. Found ONE in stock somewhere and snatched it up. The sightron is a great scope. It's a flip of a coin between it and the PST or Bushnell Elite in my book.