• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Recticles: MOA vs Mrad

gmar

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2011
Oklahoma
Which one do you guys prefer and what are the pros and cons of both?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here's info on the MOA:</span>

With each click of the Viper PST moving the point-of-impact 1/4 MOA, it will take four clicks of the knob to move a bullet’s point-of impact 1.05 inches at a 100 yard sight-in distance.

MOA.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here's info on the MRAD:</span>

With each click of the Viper PST moving the point-of-impact .1 mrad (.36 inches), four clicks will move the bullet’s point-of-impact 1.44 inches at a 100 yard sight-in distance. At 100 meters, four clicks will move the point-of-impact four centimeters.

MRAD.jpg

I like how the Mrad has the half lines but don't like how the clicks .36" at 100 yards...seems like it would easier to do the MOA 1/4" clicks. What do you guys think?

Re: Vortex Viper PST Recticles: MOA vs Mrad

If using a mil reticle, suggest purging your brain from thinking in inches.

Yes, .25 clicks are finer than .1mil and if you shoot benchrest that might be important to you.

I have moved all my optics to a mil- based system and find it to be easier for me.

It's really what is more comfortable and easier for you. Most shooters stick with what they have more training in. You already have the ideal setup that the turrets are matching the reticle. All my other scopes use MOA so I am more comfortable and much faster with my MOA setup on my PST. If you are more comfortable in Mil adjustments or are use to a mil reticle, that would maybe be the better choice choice. Can't go wrong with either though.

Trevor B.

Not to hijack the thread but, I just ordered a Razor with a EBR-2 and it has a open center which I really like but it doesnt show on any of the drawings of the reticule. I was just wondering if the EBR-1 on the PST FFP was the same way? I plan on ordering one in the future to put on a AR.

I used to have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical and other than that, I haven't ever used a magnified scope other than my ACOG and when I did have my Bushnell, I didn't really shoot that rifle all that much. So previous training or being comfortable over one or another is not much of an issue as I will need to learn whatever one I decide to go with.

As long as the turrets and reticle match, its purely preference. Don't complicate it with inches or centimeters. The reticle can help you make adjustments while on the gun without walking to the target, taking a measurement, then walking back and twisting the turret. That and range approx distance to a target of known size. Mil or moa makes no difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical and other than that, I haven't ever used a magnified scope other than my ACOG and when I did have my Bushnell, I didn't really shoot that rifle all that much. So previous training or being comfortable over one or another is not much of an issue as I will need to learn whatever one I decide to go with.</div></div>

ok, what will the people you're likely to shoot w/ be more used too...

do you plan on getting a spotting scope w/ a reticle ( because MOA reticles period, but especially in spottors, seem few and far between)

people argue Mil/Mil vs MOA/MOA all the time... why I don't understand, people feel a huge neeed to justify their choices to other people.

to make the choice we need to think past us, we can train to use any system effectively... in fact in a perfect world, I'd be using a IPHY scope w/ matching reticle and turrets, why because we're American and we do in fact think in inches.

so I propose that you look at what you're most likely to encounter most people will have a non scaled reticle and MOA turrets (sucks for ranging/holds, it's out for most of us, so we won't mention it again), <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> several will have a Mil reticle, w/ MOA turrets (makes ranging possible, can be used for holds, and give the ability to spot hits w/ your reticle in mils) <span style="color: #CC0000"> </span> , a few will have something else, MOA/MOA, IPHY/IPHY, whatever (IMHO, they're so few as to not matter). So my choise was Mil/Mil, why, because I can learn to use it well, teach anyone I shoot with to spot for me, and I can spot for them, in Mils (either w/ a Mil scaled spotter or their scope that's Mil/MOA) and it's not hard to convince anyone I shoot w/ regularly of the benefits and get them thinking about using it too, because MOST are already using Mil reticles, and matching reticle/turrets is awesome once you use them once or twice.

gmar, where are you at in Ok? I have a Vortex Razor in the mail right now with a ebr-2 milrad FFP in the mail right now and if you are around the elk city area you are more than welcome to come try it out.

The main reason I decided on a mil scope over a moa scope was the fact that all the guys I shoot with use mil scopes. I grew up using moa but it makes it harder to spot for a fellow shooter when you are using a different system. It seems to me that more and more people are going to mils so if you have no previous experience then it would be very easy to learn it.

I'm old school? I can "see" an inch when I look at the target. My minds eye see's things in inches and feet. I grew up with it and find it hard to make the switch? I understand how how mill could be easier for the math, I just don't see a mill when I look down the scope? I think if your new and can make the jump mill makes more sense.

Everyone...thanks for the advice!

force multiplier and Bigjohn, I'm in Midwest City, to it looks like I'm directly in the middle between you guys. I have a buddy in McAlester and family in El Reno, so I would love to come out and shoot with both you guys. It will be after the holidays but lets get something hooked up!

I use both, I like the moa because my friends all use moa, Im changing over several weapon systems to mil. I find it easier to use, once you brain dump all thought of inches and feet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm old school? I can "see" an inch when I look at the target. My minds eye see's things in inches and feet. I grew up with it and find it hard to make the switch? I understand how how mill could be easier for the math, I just don't see a mill when I look down the scope? I think if your new and can make the jump mill makes more sense. </div></div>

Ditto. So I chose the 6-24x50 with MOA.
To me it's the same as saying the speed limit is 90km/h..I have no reference in my head of how fast that is unless I do some quick math on it.

This PDF contains several ranging formulas. I suggest you look at it and decide which units you would commonly use to estimate size and which formulas are easiest to remember or use with the units you like.

http://static.scribd.com/docs/7qgapctw13g5x.pdf

My personal preference is IPHY, but that's not available in the PST. I do have a PST in MOA.

I learned on Minutes, and am switching to a 6-24 FFP PST with the MRAD. If you see a little guy pulling his hair out while looking through his scope, that could be me.

Go with what you either are comfortable with, or feel confident that you can learn with a little practice. I would suggest keeping the rticle and turrets in the same units to make things easier.