• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST review

Re: Vortex Viper PST review

frown.gif
That sucks...

It's still june though.... They never said they were expected june 1st I don't think.

But I feel your pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know that I would shell out that kind of money for something assembled in the Philippines. </div></div>

As a former Industrial Engineer (no mfg left in NC) and currently laid-off Software Analyst (job was outsourced to Costa Rica) no one laments what the career politicians have done to us more than me. That said, however, my Nikon was made in the Philippines and I have literally beat that scope to death on AKs and on a 7mm RM in the bushes chasing antlered rats. It looks like a truck ran over it. And it still tracks like magic and is clear as crystal. Some models of the top shelf scopes worshiped here on the Hide are also made in Asia. It's not an automatic disqualifier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know that I would shell out that kind of money for something assembled in the Philippines. </div></div>

As a former Industrial Engineer (no mfg left in NC) and currently laid-off Software Analyst (job was outsourced to Costa Rica) no one laments what the career politicians have done to us more than me. That said, however, my Nikon was made in the Philippines and I have literally beat that scope to death on AKs and on a 7mm RM in the bushes chasing antlered rats. It looks like a truck ran over it. And it still tracks like magic and is clear as crystal. Some models of the top shelf scopes worshiped here on the Hide are also made in Asia. It's not an automatic disqualifier. </div></div>

Potential thread derail... but I completely agree with you.

I was a Mfg. and Process Eng. Mgr. for a medical company that made implantable defibrilators. Most of our mfg. people were Philipino, Asian, Vietnamese or Chinese. A "few" white Americans. If I saw a trend, it was that the "Americans" partied a lot and were typically walking a thin line with management. Not all of them, mind you, but certainly enough to be able to see a strong trend. The "foreigners" worked hard, churned out top quality work and were generally good natured and cooperative. Language was sometimes an issue, but could usually be worked around.

ALL of them were capable of very high quality work. It took a LOT more effort to exact from the "Americans" who wanted to argue about drawings or documentation, or get "creative" with a tightly controlled process.

I'm not down on "Americans". But I do get tired of (insert foreign country here) bashing. Every single one of these overseas countries is PERFECTLY capable of manufacturing to whatever standards we define and ENFORCE.

Chinese optics are not junk because they can't build a decent scope. They're junk because somebody saw a market for something that looked like the real thing, cost hundreds less and sold like hotcakes because a lot of Americans are WAY more concerned with looking the part than paying the price for being it. And the Chinese are thrilled to turn out as much crap as you will buy.

If there is a difference, that is probably it. Most of the manufacturing professionals I've had the pleasure of working with here are just not satisfied with good enough.

If you see cheap junk. DON'T BUY IT! Force these importers and American companies to provide (import) high quality products and stop blaming the poor people working in horrid conditions in a third world hell-hole.

Rant off.

Sorry for the derail.

John

Most of my mfg and software time (18 years) was in management and Quality Assurance. We could talk all day about that one.
laugh.gif
Can we start a "What We As Americans Did To Help The Politicos Outsource Us" thread in the Bear Pit?
laugh.gif

Back to the PST ... I wanted one badly but couldn't wait. Went with the mil/mil FFP 4200. Still want to try a Vortex, though.

I can't wait for the Viper PST to come out!
I've heard rumours of how top notch Vortex is regarding CS,
but I was still surprised when after mailing them about the VIP-warranty and international customers (I travel alot back and forth Scandinavia/the States) they said they would ofcourse stand behind it 100%, no matter what country.
And, they asked me for my adress so they could ship me some apparel and Vortex-stuff.. For free, ofcourse. Across the atlantic, paying international shipping.
Now that's just pure awesomeness.

Thank you so much for the kind words guys. We really just try our best to treat people the way we like to be treated.

We are doing our best to get the PST's out there,we want them out there as bad as you (trust me :)).

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are doing our best to get the PST's out there,we want them out there as bad as you (trust me :)).</div></div>

PAYDAY! And well deserved if these scopes live up to the anticipation.

Scott,

I know the PST's are coming but what about the SPARC. Will it be ready by the time the PST's are?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kyshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

I know the PST's are coming but what about the SPARC. Will it be ready by the time the PST's are? </div></div>

We released the Sparc's a couple of months ago and also just shipped a bunch more out. I know some of the Hide sponsors have them in stock right now (Cameraland, SWFA,etc..)

Scott

oh man.............

Well it's me again, your friendly forum inquisitor who asks the annoying questions to the extent you want to claw your eyes(hey I like knowledge, I'm a curious person and I forget shit sometimes) and then disappears into the woodwork again.

I think for this little inquisition I'll ask 3 pointed questions:

1. Who here believes in Capitalism and profit?
2. Who here thinks these are quality scopes that can best or, at the very least compete with nightforce and leupold?
3. Who here thinks that high profits can encourage very GOOD customer reserve? because I gotta say their warranty is insane.
4. To Scott and Vortex: btw, dude, does that warranty for the Vortex Razor, extend to the Viper PST line? because Lowlight blew up his with a bomb
wink.gif

CHEERS!

I belive it is 21 MRAD. All the data is available on Vortex's site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much windage and elevation travel? </div></div>
6-24x50 is 19 mrads
4-16x50 is 21 mrads

19 mrad (65 moa)on the 6-24x
21 mrad (75 moa)on the 4-16x

Edit: damn, a little slow on the draw...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of our mfg. people were Philipino, Asian, Vietnamese or Chinese. A "few" white Americans. If I saw a trend, it was that the "Americans" partied a lot and were typically walking a thin line with management. Not all of them, mind you, but certainly enough to be able to see a strong trend. The "foreigners" worked hard, churned out top quality work and were generally good natured and cooperative.</div></div>

Very interesting. I have never worked overseas, but my experience here in the US is the exact opposite. That experience is in biopharmaceutical research and manufacturing QC. I observed that workers and researchers born-and-raised in the USA (regardless of ethnic descent) consistently contributed more effort, critical thought, and quality to their work. Although foreign researchers (in my field they are mostly Chinese and Indian middle-managers, and some grunts) may have formed closer relationships with upper management, their actual work was typically shoddy. Their laboratory practices were often downright dangerous. Data was fabricated, not collected. Critical thought was never a priority. BTW I am Chinese, so seeing this pattern for nearly ten years with few exceptions has been a hard pill to swallow.

From your experience, I guess it's a different reality overseas, but I'm still going to buy American whenever I can. That said, Vortex is a great product, and an American company.

Sorry to continue to derail the thread. Mods please delete if this violates TOS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh man.............

4. To Scott and Vortex: btw, dude, does that warranty for the Vortex Razor, extend to the Viper PST line? because Lowlight blew up his with a bomb
wink.gif

CHEERS! </div></div>

ABSOLUTELY!!

I spoke to someone at Optics Planet today who told me they were expeting the PSTs to be available June 9th.
Does anyone know if this is a possibility, or are they just blowing smoke ?

Hard to say...Midway now says 7/15...I think it's mostly speculation at this point.

My dealer said that he talked to Vortex today. What he said when I asked him about the release date:

"They sure sound excited but they don't have a clue."

I'm guessing July.

Hey Scott,

My question now is if there has been anymore field testing done by you ? i know you posted some pics and a little review but have you been able to do more extensive testing and if yes if you can post more info thanks.

regards WinXp_Man-

I talked to Rob01 a while back, he said he had handled one at the Shot show and said they looked good. Coming from him, I think that says a lot.

I'm guessing that June 9th or 15th are probably not going to happen. If it was that close I'm sure Vortex would have them done and be packing them up as we speak.

I am hoping that Midway keep getting bumped because they are sending them to Scott! I'm one of the first ones, so I hope they come soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 468shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to say...Midway now says 7/15...I think it's mostly speculation at this point. </div></div>

Damn... I think I'm going to have to get myself a PST too (when it's in the budget). Now my question is... do I get a 6-24 and put it on my 308 bolt gun and move the 3-18x42 IOR from the bolt gun to the 20" AR I'm building... or do I just buy a 4-16 for the AR and keep the IOR on the bolt gun?

I hate making decisions...

Maybe it depends on the scope you're looking at, but the scope I looked at on midway says June 15th still - not that I'm holding my breath...and I ordered mine from SWFA anyway.

With the Vortex warranty, if this scope performs, in this price range, it will sit on top of all of my rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it depends on the scope you're looking at, but the scope I looked at on midway says June 15th still - not that I'm holding my breath...and I ordered mine from SWFA anyway.</div></div>

I was looking at the 4-16, they say 6/30 for the 6-24. Whenever they arrive I'm sure it will be worth the wait. I'm trying to hold off until they come out and there's some reviews on them. I'm not sure it's going to happen though, all the hype has my expectations pretty high. When I do order it will from Scott or SWFA.

You know, I'm kinda getting just a tad impatient, so I started looking for alternative scopes that are available now with the same features, particularly FFP, zero stop, clicks that match the reticle(MOA/MOA, mil/mil, etc) and I just cant find anything that comes close. I thought about just sucking it up and going for a nightforce, but their 5.5-22 is $1650 and is only SFP. And their only FFP scope is over twice the price of this PST...guess I'm waiting.

I feel the same way I almost purchased a mark 4 Friday but just decided to wait, it should only be 20 or so more days. I have been waiting since January and am tired of empty scope rings, but there is nothin else in the price range with these features.

Mine, a 4-16x50(Mil/Mil), has been on order for a month now and I can't wait to get it. I don't expect too much with this scope. I have a USO and a Premier and love them both, but I'm hopin' someone does a comparison of it against the S&B 4-16x50 PM II. I don't expect it to be as nice as the S&B, but it would be nice to see it evaluated on features, optical clarity, adjustments, reticule, tracking,..etc. on a scale of 1-10 for each (a perfect 10 being the S&B's quality). With the above criteria, I'll bet it averages an "8" overall,... which will be fine for the money!

Ryan

I'm gonna be doing a lot of 1k+ shooting. I hope the glass is up to the task. My milletts start wearing out their welcome at 500 and beyond...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna be doing a lot of 1k+ shooting. I hope the glass is up to the task. My milletts start wearing out their welcome at 500 and beyond... </div></div> I have done some 1000yd+/- and quite a bit at 880 with them and the glass is definitely capable of much farther. All in all I think everyone will be extremely happy with these scopes, especially considering the price point.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ak-kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-rifle-scopes.html

if its the same scope here don´t say preorder </div></div>

No one has them yet. Vortex hasn't shipped any PSTs to anybody yet. When Vortex has them ready, trust me, it won't be a secret.

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

Scott,

That page says "<span style="font-weight: bold">Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope on sale and <span style="font-style: italic">available</span> on our store.</span>"

According to what I've been reading here, this is an outright lie. If I was one of your other retailers, I'd be furious.

This is NOT the first time I've seen OpticsPlanet pull this kind of crap. Are you sure that Vortex wants to be in bed with these type of dealers?

John

It is an outright lie. Probably gets a lot of uninformed buyers adding it to the basket...

Have also ordered mine (6-24 mil/mil) from Liberty Optics, and am patiently waiting. Spoke to both this week hoping for a positive update, but all I was able to get was that they hope to have to dealers this month. I didn't ask specifically which model.

Hope its all or at least the one I reserved!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ak-kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-rifle-scopes.html

if its the same scope here don´t say preorder </div></div>

Optics Planet loves to take orders on things that they don't have. I placed two orders in the past that they couldn't fill, so I said never again.

I prefer companies that honestly list on their site if something is in stock. Even better is when they list the number of units in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gonna be doing a lot of 1k+ shooting. I hope the glass is up to the task. My milletts start wearing out their welcome at 500 and beyond... </div></div> I have done some 1000yd+/- and quite a bit at 880 with them and the glass is definitely capable of much farther. All in all I think everyone will be extremely happy with these scopes, especially considering the price point.

Scott </div></div>

Have you done any more testing on the PST series scopes ? as in a box test ? and how does it hold up to recoil from .308 win and bigger rifles.........

I pre ordered mine, again. From SWFA
Ordered one for my SPR a few months ago, but couldn't wait and got a SS-3-9.
Now I have a LaRue OBR that needs some glass. Since don't see my self shooting past 300 around here & I can't afford a SB or NF I hope this will fit my needs. Seems to have everything I want, zero stop, FFP, illuminated, nice, side focus parallex, 30mm tube, Mil/Mil, great cust. service. I hope it lives up to all the hype.

I would say it’s well worth the wait; the Viper PST has about everything that my Razor HD has in a slightly different package, probably the best bang for the buck.

I was able to see the Viper PST in action a while back at a 600 & 880 yard event and it was drawing a lot of attention

Jeff