• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST review

Re: Vortex Viper PST review

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Ordered one today as well.

After seeing that article I think I may have to at least try one.

I cant wait to get mine, I have had mine on pre order from liberty optics for MONTHS now. Seems like it will never come.

Very nice, can't wait for June to get here myself! Glad to finally see some up close pics of the controls etc!

Awesome, thanks for the link. Can't wait to get mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wrighty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it June yet? </div></div>

I know, right?
DSC_1413.jpg

Looks cool, but why the heck did they go with 12 MOA per revolution turrets??? 10moa would be soooo much better for counting. Plus each click would be a bit coarser.

Mine's already ordered and paid for. FFP 6-24 MIL/MIL! Sheww! I wish June would hurry and get here!

those are looking like pretty neat optics for the "right" price, even thought the right price for me is free.

I don't know that I would shell out that kind of money for something assembled in the Philippines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know that I would shell out that kind of money for something assembled in the Philippines. </div></div>

That did raise a red flag when I saw it. However, when user reports come in after they are released and they hold up well I would buy with confidence knowing Vortex's reputation for standing behind their products.

I'm sure that Vortex will keep an eye on quality, but how do you justify the high prices when you are paying labor less than a dollar an hour?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that Vortex will keep an eye on quality, but how do you justify the high prices when you are paying labor less than a dollar an hour? </div></div>

What makes you think the cost of assembling a product has any bearing on its price ? If that was the case all teh Dodges and GM's built in Mexico would cost less than their American made counterparts , but they are not .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure that Vortex will keep an eye on quality, but how do you justify the high prices when you are paying labor less than a dollar an hour? </div></div>

What makes you think the cost of assembling a product has any bearing on its price ? If that was the case all teh Dodges and GM's built in Mexico would cost less than their American made counterparts , but they are not . </div></div>

Lets think about that.
They manufacture things oversea because it is CHEAPER. Ostensibly so they can bring it to the consumer for a lower price.
Price is dictated by what the market will bear.
Right now, these scopes are the most anticiapated things on the market, so they can charge what they want, as long as it costs less than luepold, people will buy them.
In my opinion, they are over priced for an item manufactured in a third world country.
One of the major selling points is that they are not made in China.
What makes you think a product that is made in the Philippines is superior to a product made in China? In my experience, they are not.
A WELL paid employee in the Philippines makes about 300 dollars a month, you can bet that most of the factory workers are being paid less than that, in my opinion, the price should reflect the cost and quality of manufacture.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Right now, these scopes are the most anticiapated things on the market, so they can charge what they want, as long as it costs less than luepold, people will buy them.</span>

You answered own question .

They don't manufacture stuff in 3rd world Shitholes in order to bring it to consumers at a lower price . They do so in order to reap a greater profit . The same so-called American manufacturers make just enough of the parts in their products to label them "Made in USA" while in fact they are mostly made in "Craplakistan". Or they pay some Pro athlete a shitload of money to endorse their products which are made in the same 3rd world shitholes and sold for ungodly amounts of money in your local mall every day of the week .

I believe they actually have to have most of the assembly done in the US plus have a majority of the parts made in the US to label them as "Made in the USA".

I did not say they COULDN'T charge whatever price they wanted, I said the couldn't JUSTIFY the price and therefore can't sell me a scope. Which of course is no concern of theirs, and shouldn't be.

I will be interested to see reviews, but for now I will just keep paying 50% more for an equivlant NF that has the reputation and durability. Once some reviews come out, if they are positive I will try one.

CJG

Your right, but in america and probably australia too, we get so much JUNK that has been made over seas that we tend to think most things aside from cars that are made over there are of poor quality. At least they arent made in China! haahaa

CJG

Vortex's reputation on all of their other products has be great. I don't see any reason why the pst would be any diff. It will come with the same warranty and the same guy still owns the product. Why would he change up the quality at this point when he is still in the just getting started phase?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your right, but in america and probably australia too, we get so much JUNK that has been made over seas that we tend to think most things aside from cars that are made over there are of poor quality. At least they arent made in China! haahaa

CJG </div></div>

They make what people buy. When they make to order they make what is allowed by the brand they are making them for. No quality control and you will have a product which gets worse over time. It's all down to the company who orders to spec and is branding them. If your USA or other based company is out to screw prices down and make the maximum profit at the lowest quality then it's not the MFR's fault for doing what they are paid to do. I also think we need to understand the Chinese way of thinking and making products is different to many other places is Asia. The Japanese and others tend to be very different. They really should not be put together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where a product is made is irrelevant.

How and with what parts is the important thing.

</div></div>
+1
There are certain thing I want in a scope: magnification range,quality of glass, IR, FFP, good clicks and positive tracking, and a great warranty from a company that stands behind their product. The viper PSTs seem to have all this going for them, at a price far less than any comparable scope from another manufacturer. If the scope has everything I want, I don't care where it's made, as long as it's made well.
As a side note, cost of materials and assembly are not the only factors that influence price. Research and development, quality control, customer service, and projected cost of warranty service all factored in, and these are things I don't mind paying a little extra for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks cool, but why the heck did they go with 12 MOA per revolution turrets??? 10moa would be soooo much better for counting. Plus each click would be a bit coarser. </div></div>

Because MOA shooters are weird, just joking but 5 mils per turn is nice and clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know that I would shell out that kind of money for something assembled in the Philippines. </div></div>

I have no problem buying Philippine made optics, especially if using Japanese Glass. Nikon scopes all come from there, as does a lot of their camera lenses. As does some Weavers and other brands under the ATK umbrella. To me Filipino optics are only slightly below Japanese, and much better than Chinese if only because of the QC and relative predictability.

The fact that it's taking longer than expected to be released tells me either they greatly underestimated demand or they are working on it to get it right the first time. As far as phillipines go like the above guy said lots of good optics are already made there. Where doesn't matter near as much as what QC controls and what parts go into it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fact that it's taking longer than expected to be released tells me either they greatly underestimated demand or they are working on it to get it right the first time. As far as phillipines go like the above guy said lots of good optics are already made there. Where doesn't matter near as much as what QC controls and what parts go into it. </div></div>

Sam from Vortex has been very clear from the beginning that release would be mid June.So I don't see it being longer then expected.

The current Viper's are shown "Made in Philippines" and they are some of the best scopes available for the price. You hardly ever hear a negative word about them.

I've probably sold 6 people off on the Viper's by shooting my 7mm-08 with a scope from the Philippines mounted on it. It performs perfectly all the time.

Oddly, you see more Razor's come up for sale lately then the Viper's. And far more comments about construction and quality. Vortex has fixed them all but I don't see the location being a part of the equation much where Vortex is concerned. I do wish they were made in America, and I would be glad to pay an extra $100 per scope for that to say "Made in the U.S.A." on the bottom. I feel that many others would too. The problem is that it would likely cost more that $100 per scope to manufacture here. That's my 2 cents on the matter.

Patiently waiting for my PST from Scott!

Mike

I'm waiting on my 4-16 mil/mil FFP also. I really want to order the 6-24 FFP for my upcoming M700P MLR .338LM build, but I want to see the first PST before I commit to a second one. I know it'll be good, but I'm such a weirdo that I have to see it first to put myself at ease about getting a second one.

Still, I'm getting anxious and I like what I see!

A buddy of mine told me about his conversation with the people at Vortex. That lead me to call myself.

I talked to Shamus. He was pretty convincing about the warranty. From what I got - they're a 40-mil company, 40-50 employees (not a mom and pop operation).

Thought I'd roll the dice.
I'm not an operator or real shooter(I just play one on TV), so it shouldn't see any real world abuse through my civilian escapades.

I pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago through M-way.

Call Vortex, form your own opinion...

Anybody recognize the scope mount holding the PST on the AR in all the pictures. If so could you please let me know. I have called the contact # and no answer. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody recognize the scope mount holding the PST on the AR in all the pictures. If so could you please let me know. I have called the contact # and no answer. Thanks </div></div>If you are talking about the pics that I posted with the 1-4 PST that is an ADM (american defense mount).

Scott

Talked to Mike Cecil and ordered myself a 1-4 PST and a ADM Recon mount.
smile.gif

Scott, the illumination is day-light visible.. correct?

I think I'm going to have to pick up one of these in MOA/MOA. It will be perfect for my next rifle build!

Placed my order for a 4-16 PST mil mil a couple weeks ago... i'm something like #32 on the list for L.O. Got a larue lt-104 waiting for it!

I have read alot of good stuff about these scopes. I would be very interested in any range reports when they finally arrive and get some trigger time.

DK

I love my Razor and my regular viper for my .223. And the customer service at Vortex has been top notch. I won't hesitate to purchase another one and I am looking at a couple PSTs if I can swing it for my wife and daughters rifles.