• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST SFP vs. Horus Predator FFP??

sberge84

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2011
Anyone have any experience with these? I was wondering which would be a better buy. The Vortex PST 6-24x50 has the warranty in the bag, but is SFP vs. the Horus with the H70 reticle and FFP, but only a one year warranty. Anyone EVER need to use their warranty on a Horus scope? Just wondering.

Or should I stop BSing around and just get the Weaver Tactical 4-20x50 FFP with the warranty to boot? Just not a fan of mis-matched turrets/reticle.

Re: Vortex Viper PST SFP vs. Horus Predator FFP??

I have one of the FFP 6x24 vortex, I like it a lot. I had a warranty claim on a 16x vortex and they covered it in a week!

Get the Vortex, FFP should not be a deal breaker/decider unless you just need it. I actually down-graded from the Mark VI 8.5-25 FFP ER/T to the SFP PST 6-24, and I'm glad I did. It feels more reliable in my opinion and less than half the cost. I found that I only use 12x when shooting 1000yards in the summer because of mirage, and FFP didn't really help anyways. It's not like you are going to regret not having FFP as long as your reticle and turrets match, and it tracks true. Just my opinion though
smirk.gif

That's a no contest and I own a couple Predators.Neither one of them track correctly.PST all the way because if there was ever a warranty issue you'd be covered.

You can get the PST in FFP and then you get the best of both. I have a 4-16 PST and it seems like a good scope. I don't think the glass is "high" quality, but then again, the only scope I have to compare it to is a NF NXS. Out of your two choices, I would definitely go with the PST. I like the reticle on the Horus though.

Yeah, I've been debating whether or not I need FFP. For the money, I can get a NICE SFP with all the bells and whistles. I've only had experience with SFP scopes and am familiar with them. My rifle is pretty much a range queen as it weighs nearly 14lbs (minus optics, rings, base, ammo, bipod). Alaskan hunts require a slightly lighter firearm and maybe a little more firepower than a .308 Win, lol. I don't think I'll consider the Horus anymore. Here's my question though. If I'm only gonna shoot 800-1k MAX, then do I really need 20x magnification? I hear guys saying 15x is fine, but what about in FFP? Will the EMDR in the Weaver Tactical scope cover the target up? Or should I just stick with SFP and go Vortex? Remember, the only hunt I would ever consider with this gun would be deer, elk, caribou, etc. Something I can setup and shoot from prone. Mainly it's a range queen though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I've been debating whether or not I need FFP. For the money, I can get a NICE SFP with all the bells and whistles. I've only had experience with SFP scopes and am familiar with them. My rifle is pretty much a range queen as it weighs nearly 14lbs (minus optics, rings, base, ammo, bipod). Alaskan hunts require a slightly lighter firearm and maybe a little more firepower than a .308 Win, lol. I don't think I'll consider the Horus anymore. Here's my question though. If I'm only gonna shoot 800-1k MAX, then do I really need 20x magnification? I hear guys saying 15x is fine, but what about in FFP? Will the EMDR in the Weaver Tactical scope cover the target up? Or should I just stick with SFP and go Vortex? Remember, the only hunt I would ever consider with this gun would be deer, elk, caribou, etc. Something I can setup and shoot from prone. Mainly it's a range queen though. </div></div>

How large is your target? Convert the target at that distance to mils or MOA, and compare that to your reticle details. For example, IIRC a Vortex PST FFP 6-24X has a 0.04 mil thick reticle. That's going to be only 1.44" thick at 1000 yards. A quick search didn't turn up anything for the thickness of the reticle, so for quick math you're reticle will obscure 0.36" per 0.01 mil thickness @ 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve B.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I've been debating whether or not I need FFP. For the money, I can get a NICE SFP with all the bells and whistles. I've only had experience with SFP scopes and am familiar with them. My rifle is pretty much a range queen as it weighs nearly 14lbs (minus optics, rings, base, ammo, bipod). Alaskan hunts require a slightly lighter firearm and maybe a little more firepower than a .308 Win, lol. I don't think I'll consider the Horus anymore. Here's my question though. If I'm only gonna shoot 800-1k MAX, then do I really need 20x magnification? I hear guys saying 15x is fine, but what about in FFP? Will the EMDR in the Weaver Tactical scope cover the target up? Or should I just stick with SFP and go Vortex? Remember, the only hunt I would ever consider with this gun would be deer, elk, caribou, etc. Something I can setup and shoot from prone. Mainly it's a range queen though. </div></div>

How large is your target? Convert the target at that distance to mils or MOA, and compare that to your reticle details. For example, IIRC a Vortex PST FFP 6-24X has a 0.04 mil thick reticle. That's going to be only 1.44" thick at 1000 yards. A quick search didn't turn up anything for the thickness of the reticle, so for quick math you're reticle will obscure 0.36" per 0.01 mil thickness @ 1000 yards.
</div></div>

I really don't know to be honest. Whatever the competitions run for are High Power any-sight mid-range/long-range matches or F/TR (obviously, when I get better at shooting and I'd make some changes to the gun for this comp). For now, I'm limited to 300 yds up here in Alaska (near Anchorage, I know, it's pathetic). So I only use 100yd sight-in targets for now.

What's a good target for 300 yds?

FWIW, my set-up is this (keep in mind I've only had the gun for 3 months, so I'm working on it): bone stock Rem 700 SPS-V in .308 Win.(26" heavy contour barrel with 1:12 twist), B&C A-5 stock, Harris bipod, (soon to have) an EGW 20mao base, probably gonna go with SWFA SS 30mm rings, a AZ Precision bolt knob, and may get Wild West Guns to gimme a trigger job, and have the barrel cut down to 22-24" with a nice crown put on it. Of course, one of the two scopes I mentioned above. I also reload and found me a combo that prints consistent sub-moa groups @ 100yds. 0.8 inches is my best so far, but still need a little practice and a less windy day. It was also the first time I discovered that this will be the load I use consistently with this rifle.

As you can tell, this is an mild budget-build rifle, but it's got some amazing out-of-the-box accuracy IMO and I'm very pleased with it. What did one fella say, you only need sub-moa to be competitive right? Don't see the need in a $4k rifle when the job can be done for half that
smile.gif