• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST update! (12-21-10)

Re: Now accepting back orders on the Vortex Viper

Does anyone know what the length/weight of the 2.5-10 and 1-4 model would be? I saw the others, but didn't see anything about these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chase102798</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know what the length/weight of the 2.5-10 and 1-4 model would be? I saw the others, but didn't see anything about these. </div></div>

The length of the 1-4x24 is about 9.75" and the weight is 15.5oz.

The length of the 2.5-10x44 is 12" and weight is 18.4oz.

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaChris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Are the turrets on the 1-4X24 exposed? If so are there any plans to offer covered turrets on this model? Also any plans to offer covered turrets on the 2.5-10?

Also I have a suggestion. On the 2.5-10 scopes. Put a dot on the full mill marks instead of a hash. Add a circle (like the versa-plex C-3). The circle should intersect the first set of dots. The traditonal mil-dot with a hash at the half will be easier to holdover with, and the circle will help speed at close range. Kind of a do it all optic. With covered turrets, and an objective small enough to fit in a set of low ringe on a continuous rail, I think it would be just right.

</div></div>

You're probably a bit late in the design process, but go ahead and send them an invoice for consulting; maybe they'll pay it.

Looks good, at the price point it should be the best contender we've seen in awhile. Be interesting to see how they perform once they hit the market. In particular I'd have liked to have seen more adjustment range, just for increased flexibility and am interested in how well the zero stop performs when guys start cranking on them. Especially since looking at the manual they are not a full circle spacer, but a 3/4 moon type setup that you alternate multiple spacers to fill the gap. With that setup my question is will the multiple shim system to be repeatable enough to count on such a number of clicks procedure to make sure you are back at your exact zero? For example rotate the dial till it stops and go back 8 clicks to be at zero, or will the user be forced to visually verify the knob position.

Also knob height, I know Sam mentioned they are close to the M3 knob, but from the pictures they appear closer to the NF knob height than the M3. Using the 30mm tube as a ref it would appear the knobs are around 1" tall.

Also be interesting to see how the illumination does, I'm not a fan of the off angle position of the illumination knob, but there's only so many places to put it. One of the things I never liked about the leupold version is there were no defined clicks from on/off and through the various levels. The on/off click at least should be very very distinct and solid, the levels can be softer, but more than once I've seen mark 4's with dead batteries because the switch turned itself on. Interesting that the vortex has off clicks between every intensity adjustment. Not sure if I like that or not, on the one hand if you only use one level it's nice to not have to dial through the whole range, but on the other you probably loose the illumination between every intensity adjustment looking through the scope.

All in all though if it performs well it's a lot of scope for under $1000 that's for sure.

Not trying to design current optics Ratbert, just making suggestions for future models. Vortex seems to listen to their customers, and that is very refreshing. However if they want to pay me, I don't take plastic, but I will take glass.;)
For what it's worth, I think the 6-24 is just about perfect for several of my rifles, and plan to buy them.
As for my questions, it looks like the 1-4 has exposed knobs like the rest of them from the pics.
I still would like to know if there are any plans to offer them covered on the lower powered optics in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaChris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not trying to design current optics Ratbert, just making suggestions for future models. Vortex seems to listen to their customers, and that is very refreshing. However if they want to pay me, I don't take plastic, but I will take glass.;)
For what it's worth, I think the 6-24 is just about perfect for several of my rifles, and plan to buy them.
As for my questions, it looks like the 1-4 has exposed knobs like the rest of them from the pics.
I still would like to know if there are any plans to offer them covered on the lower powered optics in the future. </div></div>

We are definitely considering doing a covered knob version of the 1-4x24, but it probably woulnd't be until 2011. I'm not sure yet on the 2.5-10, but I appreciate your suggestions and we will definitely take them in consideration as we develop future products.

Thanks!

-Sam

Just ordered a 6-24X50 SFP MOA model. Can't wait until they start shipping! I think this is just the scope that I've been looking for! I've had the Viper 6.5-20X50 and it's a great scope! I think with these new offerings, Vortex is gonna grab a big percentage of shooters!

After checking out the sight and the specs I'm feeling good about my backorder on a 4-16 FFP. I wish the turrets were a little shorter and it had a little more adjustment but it should still be a great scope.

Which reticle is the correct one for the mil/mil? I see two different styles between SWFA's site and Vortex's site. One seems to have the subtensions go all the way to the top and the other does not?? Am I just lost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abizdafuzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which reticle is the correct one for the mil/mil? I see two different styles between SWFA's site and Vortex's site. One seems to have the subtensions go all the way to the top and the other does not?? Am I just lost? </div></div>

Some of the pictures are showing a "zoomed in" view on the FFP reticle, so part of the reticle gets cut off as the FOV shrinks when you go up in magnification. The other thing is that depending on the model the reticles are tweaked a little for the FOV of the particular configuration.

For example, the 6-24 will have a smaller FOV at 24x than the 4-16 at 16x, so the reticle is slightly modified to be optimized for the FOV in the particular model.

Which scope specifically are you looking at?

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abizdafuzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which reticle is the correct one for the mil/mil? I see two different styles between SWFA's site and Vortex's site. One seems to have the subtensions go all the way to the top and the other does not?? Am I just lost? </div></div>

Some of the pictures are showing a "zoomed in" view on the FFP reticle, so part of the reticle gets cut off as the FOV shrinks when you go up in magnification. The other thing is that depending on the model the reticles are tweaked a little for the FOV of the particular configuration.

For example, the 6-24 will have a smaller FOV at 24x than the 4-16 at 16x, so the reticle is slightly modified to be optimized for the FOV in the particular model.

Which scope specifically are you looking at?

-Sam </div></div>

I would be considering the 4-16 most likely. I'm confused because I look at the pictures from the OP and from your site and they seem to be different in that one has subtensions that go to the top for hold under and one in the OP does not look to have them.

sub_viper-pst_416f1-mrad_details.jpg

and

sub_viper-pst_210s1-mrad_details.jpg

Oh, ok. I see what you mean now.

Yes, for some reason some models have subtensions that go all the way to the top and others don't.

The ones that go all the way to the top are:

4-16x50 SFP MOA
4-16x50 SFP mrad

4-16x50 FFP mrad

6-24x50 SFP MOA
6-24x50 SFP mrad

6-24x50 FFP mrad

Even though we are calling all of these all the EBR-1, technically they are all a little different due to being MOA or mrad, FFP or SFP. Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps.

-Sam

Ok, that works for me. I was just wondering why some were different with the same name. Thanks for the help.

We are getting questions about accessories and many are availabe that we will be adding to our site soon. Here is a listing of what is to come.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Riflescope Accessories</span>
Bubble Level for 30mm Riflescope Tube
Viper 50mm Riflescope Sunshade
Viper 44mm Riflescope Sunshade
Razor HD 5-20x50 Riflescope Blank Turret Kit
Razor HD 1-4x24 Riflescope Blank Turret Kit
Viper Riflescope Blank Turret Kit: Tactical
Viper Riflescope Blank Turret Kit: Tall Target
Viper Riflescope Blank Turret Kit: Low Profile
Viper PST Shim for CRS Zero Stop: (Pack of 10)
2032 Battery Holder for Razor, Viper Tactical, Crossfire

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tactical Accessories</span>
killFLASH ARD for Razor HD 5-20x50
Threaded killFLASH ARD for Razor HD 1-4x24
Threaded killFLASH ARD Optic Cover:
Flip Cap, Size 4 (1.4"–1.6")
Flip Cap, Size 5 (1.6"–1.84")
Flip Cap, Size 6 (1.84"–2.2")
Flip Cap, Size 7 (2.2"–2.45")
Fits Size 7 Flip Cap Optic Cover (For Razor HD 5-20x50 Riflescope, Recon R/T Scope)

Indeed, what is it? Some kind of DIY, Kenton Industries inspired, calibrated knob kit?

The turret blanks will be for guys who want to get custom engraving done to match the ballistics of their rifle.

-Sam

Is the engraving something you're offering based on load and rifle specifics or are they only available blank for the customer to engrave themselves?

We will be offering some "generic" engraved units that will be done by Kenton Industries for the guys that don't want to send them in themselves.

So you can buy a pre-engraved .308 from us for 168, average altitude, barrel length, etc. or you can buy a blank one from us and send it to Kenton your self and have it done for exactly what you have.

Any idea on how these will hold up on a 50 BMG? My rifle should be done pretty soon and am turning my attention to optics. I like what seems to be offered by Vortex so thought I'd check them out a bit more. And regarding the reticle, it appears that the subtensions won't go to the top of the reticle if I were to get a FFP and MOA? Thanks very much.
cc

Dublin,

They should be fine on a 50BMG. We have a Barrett M99 that we've shot Vipers on quite a bit and it's perfectly fine on that gun.

All lenses are locked fore and aft, so they can take plenty of recoil.

Regarding the reticle, yes you are correct. The FFP MOA reticles don't have subtensions that go all the way up from center, They go up 10MOA from center though.

-Sam

SAM,

what do the quality of the optics compare to clarity wise? The 6x24x50 mil/mil definately has my attention. Will this scope make it to 1k yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 916Plinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SAM,

what do the quality of the optics compare to clarity wise? The 6x24x50 mil/mil definately has my attention. Will this scope make it to 1k yards? </div></div>

Clarity is top notch. They will easily make it out to 1k yards.

They are better optically than our current Vipers, which have been compared to the MK4's.

-Sam

Sam, great looking scopes! I like the overall looks and power range of the 4X16 but I would be using it as a hunting scope and would like to know if there is any way of locking the turrets. Dragging a rifle in and out of the pickup and toting it around in the timber and such it looks to me like the exposed turrets would be likely to get turned by accident. I realize that they have zero stops but under hunting conditions I may not always have time to look at the turrets to verify they are still zeroed.

Have you used a rifle with exposed turrets before? The reason I ask is because generally speaking, you have to really go out of your way to accidently turn your turrets without realizing it. In the case that I would happen to accedently drop my rifle out of a deer stand or fall down a hill, I would think it would be in my best interest to re access the condition of my equipment. Really, looking down to see if your turrets are in the right position is something that you can accomplish in about 1 second, not really a detrimental attribute. With that being said, there are many other optics out there that have mil reticles and turret caps, so if it is a major concern to you, there are options.

No I haven't owned a scope with exposed turrets before but have sighted in rifles that had em on there and they seemed awful easy to turn. I will admit that all of the scopes like this I've dealt with were cheap models; NC Star, Barska ect.. I know that makes a world of difference. I just really like the idea of either having a locking or covered turret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ark. Trapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I haven't owned a scope with exposed turrets before but have sighted in rifles that had em on there and they seemed awful easy to turn. I will admit that all of the scopes like this I've dealt with were cheap models; NC Star, Barska ect.. I know that makes a world of difference. I just really like the idea of either having a locking or covered turret. </div></div>

You need to get out more. lol

Barska and NC star are at the very bottom of the barrel. Not even comprable to exposed turret optics on the higher end of the spectrum.

Barska and NC star are at the very bottom of the barrel. [/quote]

Are they even IN the barrel?
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ark. Trapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I haven't owned a scope with exposed turrets before but have sighted in rifles that had em on there and they seemed awful easy to turn. I will admit that all of the scopes like this I've dealt with were cheap models; NC Star, Barska ect.. I know that makes a world of difference. I just really like the idea of either having a locking or covered turret. </div></div>

You need to get out more. lol

Barska and NC star are at the very bottom of the barrel. Not even comprable to exposed turret optics on the higher end of the spectrum.</div></div>

Lol! You're right Orkan. I'm a hunter of four legged varmints not two legged ones. I know I don't really fit in here, but you fellars are on the cutting edge of long range shooting and keep up with all the latest and greatest gadgets. I know what a good scope is and the ones I mentioned above are POS's. I like to shoot at long range and love the mildot system as it's easy to use and constant. I really like the fact that these Vortex have the clicks in milrads to match the recticle. I'm in the process of building a long range hunting rifle in 25/300WSM and will be needing a scope for it soon. The problem with mildot hunting scopes is you have two choices; either a POS like I listed earlier or a $1000+ for a Leupold. The only exception to this rule that I know of is the 6x18 Nikon Buckmaster but it has 1/8" clicks and mils at 12x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supersix4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is the PST 2.5-10x44 daylight visible? </div></div>

Sorry for the slow response. I've been driving to Vegas all day.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd quite call it daylight visible, but it's really close. You'll probably be able to see it against any medium colored or darker background in bright sunlight.

-Sam

Well, placed my order or back order for a new Viper PST yesterday morning and I would like to give a big thanks to SWFA. A big thanks to Vortex also, for producing a scope which looks to have alot of top end features at an affordable price.

Any further details that can be provided regarding how the CSR Zero Stop functions in comparison to the zero stop on the Razor? I'm almost sold on these as a replacement for an SFP MK4 with MOA turrets, but still waiting on further details for a few features. That and I'm struggling to decided between the 4-16 and the 6-24, but I'll figure that one out soon enough. Thanks!

Well Ark Trapper... there are a few models in the lower end of the spectrum that are good budget optics.

Falcon menace has a few FFP models that have been well received. The super sniper models are also quite good at their price range. The vortex is going to be THE go to scope for entry level tactical shooters, if it is what they claim its going to be.
smile.gif
No reason to think that it won't be either.

They hit a home run with the razor, but those are still too spendy for most folks just looking to do some casual shooting.

I don't know that I'd call the PST an "entry level" scope! It has all the features of a $2000 NF F1 and for less than half the price. I have no doubts that the glass will be excellent along with everything else about the scope! If this scope turns out like I'm pretty sure it will, Vortex may very well have produced the perfect scope. Just my opinion!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any further details that can be provided regarding how the CSR Zero Stop functions in comparison to the zero stop on the Razor? I'm almost sold on these as a replacement for an SFP MK4 with MOA turrets, but still waiting on further details for a few features. That and I'm struggling to decided between the 4-16 and the 6-24, but I'll figure that one out soon enough. Thanks! </div></div>

Sure, no problem. There is actually a good description in the manual, which is available on the website here: http://www.vortextactical.com/uploads/web_manual_rfl_viper-pst_1-p.pdf

See page 9 and 15 for more info on how it works.

Basically, we are using some custom made brass shims that stack up under the the inner turret post to prevent downward movement, once you set your zero. The shims are 0.2mm thick and the scope comes with 20.

The RZR zero stop uses a rotation blocking mechanism, so that you can set an exact point where the elevation turret will come to a rock solid stop.

-Sam

Sam,

Thanks for the quick reply and the link to the manual (which I should have thought to look at myself, LOL). My main concern was whether it would stop the turret at zero without the ability to go past or not. Just seems that if I needed to hold over 3.8mil, it would be quicker to hold over 4 and dial down .2, as opposed to dialing up .8mil. The manual shows the turret will go almost a half rotation past zero if you use enough shims to fill the gap on the turret mechanism. Awesome.

Also, am I correct in seeing that the manual states a 4" sunshade is included with each scope? I recall seeing an accessory list somewhere, and both a sunshade and an ARD were on my list of interests. If it comes with the sunshade, that's one less thing to worry about.
smile.gif
Thanks!

Basher,

No problem. And yes you are correct, it includes a sunshade (excet on the 1-4x24).

We'll be working on adding ARDs as an accessory and hopefully have them later this year.

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll be working on adding ARDs as an accessory and hopefully have them later this year.

-Sam</div></div>

Sam,

I'm just a low speed high drag consumer, but in an ARD I'd like to see the coarse honeycomb like USO's. the tenebrex seem to block too much light IMHO.

thanks,
LM

BTW, I'm looking forward to the 1-4 PST and I'm shopping for a rifle to put a 4-16 FPP PST on.

Sam,

Question about reticles and subtensions.

Looked at your site and opened PDF's for 6-24 FFP & SFP.

This is what I think I saw

6-24 SFP

MIL 3 mil holdover from zero, .02 mil thick reticle
MOA 10 MOA holdover from zero, .06 MOA thick reticle

6-24 FFP

MIL 9 mil holdover from zero, .04 mil thick reticle
MOA 30 MOA holdover from zero, .18 MOA thick reticle

Am I reading these right, and if so, why 3x the holdover on the FFP? 3 mil/10 MOA won't even get my 300wm to 600 yds. .308 boys will be struggling to get past 500. What am I missing here? And why is the FFP mil reticle 2x as thick, when the MOA is 3x?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam@Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll be working on adding ARDs as an accessory and hopefully have them later this year.

-Sam</div></div>

Sam,

I'm just a low speed high drag consumer, but in an ARD I'd like to see the coarse honeycomb like USO's. the tenebrex seem to block too much light IMHO.

thanks,
LM

BTW, I'm looking forward to the 1-4 PST and I'm shopping for a rifle to put a 4-16 FPP PST on. </div></div>

Thnks for the input. We'll definitely keep in in mind when we begin development on the ARD's for these models.

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sam,

Question about reticles and subtensions.

Looked at your site and opened PDF's for 6-24 FFP & SFP.

This is what I think I saw

6-24 SFP

MIL 3 mil holdover from zero, .02 mil thick reticle
MOA 10 MOA holdover from zero, .06 MOA thick reticle

6-24 FFP

MIL 9 mil holdover from zero, .04 mil thick reticle
MOA 30 MOA holdover from zero, .18 MOA thick reticle

Am I reading these right, and if so, why 3x the holdover on the FFP? 3 mil/10 MOA won't even get my 300wm to 600 yds. .308 boys will be struggling to get past 500. What am I missing here? And why is the FFP mil reticle 2x as thick, when the MOA is 3x?

John
</div></div>

Hi John,

The main reason is the field of view. While the FFP reticle does subtend 30MOA from zero, at 24x you won't get all of that 30MOA in the FOV. So, you must dial down the magnification a little.

With the SFP reticle the subtensions are accurate at 24x, so it limits the amount of holdover. Of course, we could have eliminated the thicker bar and extended the drops to add a little, but it was decided against because the thick bars can aid in low light. So, perhaps another reticle option in the future, for people who don't care about thick bars?

That being said, we are using a unique feature on the SFP scopes. The mag ring has click stops at magnification multiples, so it is easy to dial down the mag to the first stop and then all of the subtensions in the reticle can be multiplied by 2.

For example, dial from 24x down to the first click stop at 12x and now you have 20MOA of hold over on the SFP reticle.

So, this will help somewhat, but it still won't be as ideal as a FFP reticle. That is just one of the advantages that FFP will give you.

As for the reticle thickness, the FFP reticle was made a little thicker because otherwise at 6x it would be very thin and hard to see.

Hope this helps.

-Sam

thicker reticle would likely be at max magnifacation due to FFP.
20x vs. 10x

I already ordered a 4-16 and am considering a 1-4 also. Just couple of Q's for Sam or Chris:

Will the scopes ship with Butler Creek or similar lens caps? If not, can you advise what sizes we'd need for each?
Will the MOA versions and the Mil versions both come out at the same time?

Thanks in advance - these really look like great scopes for this price...

Erik