• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper Quality

Robar498

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
East Texas
I have been in the market for a new scope for my Remington model 700 in .308. I shoot with several friends of mine out to 700 yards. I currently have a mid level Nikon scope and I am looking to up grade in quality and magnification. I own several different barnds of scopes mainly leupold, but I have never purchsed a Mark 4 model. I have read numerous posts in this forum about scopes, quality of glass and bargain scopes as well.

I am leaning towards a Leupold 4.5x14x50 at around 1k on optics planet, but the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 intrigues me. The few reviews I have read are favorable for Vortex and it would save me alot of money going with the Vortex.

I would like any and all insight from some people who actually own a Vortex Viper and anyone with any good or bad experiences with them as well.

Re: Vortex Viper Quality

We have several of the Vortex Vipers you are looking at. Our experience the past year plus have made us believers in both Vortex and the Viper line.

I would not hesitate to purchase the Viper that meets your reticle needs.

There are several in-depth reviews of these scopes on this site. Use the advanced Google search and you will have plenty of reading

I have the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm mil-dot reticle. I put it on my Remington 700 .22-250 for killin coyotes. I had a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40mm TMR reticle. I would have to say in my opinion with all things considered. The $1000 plus for the Leupold vs. the $450-$500 price tag for the Viper is well worth the discount your giving yourself. The quaility is very good, CS from Vortex is top-notch and Warranty is excellent. Both scopes are great choices for sure. My recommendation is buy the Vortex first and if you think you can do better sell it and but the Leupy.

I have one (6.5X20)with the bdc reticle on a .308 and it performs all I ask of it. Holds zero, adjusts accurately and repeatably, plenty bright and clear, great workmanship. My experience with this one is what gave me the confidence to purchase a PST...

I have a Viper 6.5X20 on my Savage .308. I have been very pleased with its performance. I have a Nikkon Monarch on my AR and the Viper is definitely superior in my opinion.

As other have mentioned, it holds zero and tracks accurately.

Mine was purchased from Scott at Liberty Optics whom I would also highly recommend.