• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper Scopes

kylenichols3

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2011
Texas
I'm really interested in the Vortex Viper rifle scopes. Especially the first focal plane scopes either 4-16, or 6-24. Does anybody have any experience, or any info that could help me out about these scopes?

Re: Vortex Viper Scopes

Do a search of this forum. There are hundreds of posts about the PST scopes. Review after review of them.

I have a Viper 6.5-22x50. Its not the PSP. It's a great scope. Very good glass for the price. Its been mounted on a Remington LTR (.308) for about 2 years. I've shot close to 1000 round with it. I've killed a couple of deer and 9 hogs with it. I shot 4 hogs one night with a full moon using the Viper. I shoot targets @ 500 yards with it quite often. Its handled a good amount of abuse. My LTR is often bouncing around in the bed of my tuck is a soft case or strapped to the rack on a 4 wheeler. My friends son dropped it out of a tree stand once. It always held its zero and tracked well. My only complaint is at the very highest magnification its not as clear as usual. The PSP's are supposed to be better than what I have, though. I don't range with my scope or use the cross-hairs for hold offs for the most part, so FFP's are not for me. I played with an FFP once and thought the effects on the cross-hairs was odd. Hope some of this info is helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ayereckon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm really interested in the Vortex Viper rifle scopes. Especially the first focal plane scopes either 4-16, or 6-24. Does anybody have any experience, or any info that could help me out about these scopes? </div></div>

If you're budget is under $1k, it's going to be hard to beat the Vortex Viper PST line. You're getting a lot of scope and a lot of features for the dollar (Front Focal Plane, Mil/Mil, Illumination, Zero-Stop, very tactile clicks for the price, good durability).

There are some other options out there under $1k to consider, but you can definitely buy a PST with confidence.

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

Your pretty brave for mentioning any other scope other than NF on here haha.I have their binoculars.Crisp and clear for the price.My only complaint is they fog up no matter what I use on them.I'm ordering their scope (6-24) here shortly for my .204

I've noticed a lot of people on this forum telling others to, "Use the search function." If everyone who had a question did that, more than likely there would be no more threads posted. I personally think that would really suck....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've noticed a lot of people on this forum telling others to, "Use the search function." If everyone who had a question did that, more than likely there would be no more threads posted. I personally think that would really suck.... </div></div>

LMAO,
laugh.gif
so true

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you're budget is under $1k, it's going to be hard to beat the Vortex Viper PST line. You're getting a lot of scope and a lot of features for the dollar (Front Focal Plane, Mil/Mil, Illumination, Zero-Stop, very tactile clicks for the price, good durability).

There are some other options out there under $1k to consider, but you can definitely buy a PST with confidence.

Thanks,

Mason @ CST </div></div>

Not to mention great customer service

Thanks for the help guys. I've heard the Nightforces were pretty k.a., but I'm trying to save a little money. I'll post pics when I get it mounted.

I got my hands on one today (Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP), and it was hard to walk away without buying one. Now just isn't the time. If you ordered one, you wont be disappointed, trust me.

Vortex is just plain awesome. Now if they would just come out with a nice laser rangefinder.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does the FFP do? I'm looking at getting one for an AR and not sure whether the extra 150-200 for the FFP is worth it.</div></div>

It means the reticle markings are always correct no matter what power you have the scope at -- in other words you can range / use holdoffs at any power. (the reticle will appear to "grow" as you zoom in).

I find it invaluable for tactical style comps and such -- but if you only shoot at the range or F-Class, it may be of less value to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the the reticle work not illuminated?</div></div>. Sure, just like a normal reticle with the illum turned off.

I would say it depends on what you are doing with it and how much you want to spend. If you have a gap rifle capable of .25" and you want to shoot in competitions then get the pst. If you are looking for a dependable hunting/target scope that you only take to the range once a month and shoot for fun, then there is no reason to pay the extra money for the pst. I have a 6.5-20x50 viper mounted on my 7mag and shoot it out to 700 all the time. It has always held zero and tracks perfectly. Killed a nice buck last year at 410 yards with it at last light. Got mine from Liberty Optics.