• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex vs Athlon

Pgarber2

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2017
I had pretty much decided to get a Vortex Razor gen 2, then I started seeing posts about the Athlon Chronus. This will be going on a "Masterpiece Arms ba", in 6.5cm. This will be my first attempt a long range/precision shooting.
Does anyone have any direct comparison between the two?
All the reviews I read on the Athlon scopes say the "glass is good for the price". I want good glass, not necessarily "good for the price, glass".
Is the Razor worth the extra $1000-ish??
Thanks for any advice.

I had pretty much decided to get a Vortex Razor gen 2, then I started seeing posts about the Athlon Chronus. This will be going on a "Masterpiece Arms ba", in 6.5cm. This will be my first attempt a long range/precision shooting.
All the reviews I read on the Athlon scopes say the "glass is good for the price". I want good glass, not necessarily "good for the price, glass".
Thanks for any advice.

The cronus BTR is around $1800. The Gen II Razor can be had around $2200. So only $400 ish between the two.

If you look and ask around you can get the Cronus BTR for less than $1800... actual cost will be closer to $1600.

Good to know cause I might be looking to snag one. Couple places I've talked to were pretty firm on the BTR at $1800

I paid a lot less than $1800 for my brand new Athlon Cronus Btr 4.5-29x56. I was asked not to post the exact price that I paid for the scope,... and I will keep my word....I have two S&B 5-25x56 scopes. To my eyes, the Cronus glass is every bit as good. As far as price I will say this much..The price was more than a Vortex PST Gen 2, but not a heck of a lot more, but way less than a Vortex Razor Gen 2. I really believe the Cronus is going to be a go to scope as word gets out on what a truly great scope it is especially considering the price point...Ray

Last edited:
Thanks for any advice.

I'd go Vortex PST gen 2 5-25. I think it's going to weigh less and be a great scope. If you were going with a magnum caliber than I would recommend the Cronus.

Thanks for any advice.
With the Athlon Cronus you are talking great glass period, right there with any of the high end glass. I also have two S&Bs so I know what high end glass looks like.
If you are talking about the Burris xtr or Vortex pst, now you are talking ok for the money. The only Athlon scope I have looked through is my Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 model, so I can't speak to the quality of the rest of the others Athlon models. Ray

OP look at the features and reticle and figure what works for you and what you need and want. Glass is only a small part of a scope purchase.

Well I got a Cronus BTR ordered. Was going go with an AMG, but going to give the Athlon a shot.

I came very close to picking one of these up but mixed reviews on the tracking as well as some other mechanical issues made me leary. Bought a second razor gen II instead, it wasn't that much more. The Vortex is such a quality scope with a great track record it wasn't worth the question mark in my mind. Good luck with your purchase, hope you can report back great things about the Cronus, I still think about maybe getting one of them someday.

Not that it matters a whole of beans but can anyone tell us where the Cronus us assembled and where the PST GEN II & RAZOR GEN II are assembled and who provides the Glass and coating for each respectively ?
Thanks !

Not that it matters a whole of beans but can anyone tell us where the Cronus us assembled and where the PST GEN II & RAZOR GEN II are assembled and who provides the Glass and coating for each respectively ?
Thanks !

Friend of mine works at vortex and is going to the Philippines to the pst gen II factory this week. Can't help with the rest.

Cronus and Razor Gen II are assembled in Japan, both have HD glass, PST Gen II assembled in Philippines, it has XD glass.

Cronus and Razor Gen II are assembled in Japan, both have HD glass, PST Gen II assembled in Philippines, it has XD glass.

Actually the Razor II is partially assembled there and then reassembled with their knobs in Vortex facility here in the US. Frank did a nice piece on it a while back. Shows pics of the Razor IIs being assembled. You can see some of it here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvhL1SsNpqE

Reactions: Vamike9
I cant help but to be interested in the Cronus BTR, for the price point, if the glass is as good as everyone says it is then it should be a winner as long as the tracking is up to par. I'm just a little nervous about Athlon staying a float more than anything else, being how competitive the market is now.. But they do have my attention for my 223 optic I need.

I have both a Cronus and razor gen 2 4.5x27. As far as glass goes I cant tell the difference between them. I do however like the razor reticle and turrent a little better. However the Cronus is almost 1 pound lighter so I put it on my PRS style gun and haven't looked back. It tracks perfect and has taken a beating.

Thanks for any advice.

If you are an apex member at Rainer arms the cronus is 1499.99