• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex vs Leupold (again)

ehaleyjr86

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Centerburg, Ohio
I just picked up a Bergara 300prc and intend to take it to my local range to shoot steel out to 1000 and would also like to connect with the mile target.

I’ve been looking at various optics and have narrowed it down to two. I currently only own Leupold and Vortex optics (none of the $2,000 plus ones). For this rifle I am torn between the Viper PST gen 2 and the VX3I-LRP. I have looked through both and have had the opportunity to shoot my buddies Ruger Precision Rifle in 300prc with the gen 2 pst.

I would like to be able to have a 100 yard zero (if possible) and still be able to dial close to 1 mile which may not be possible on a 20MOA base. The viper has 75MOA of elevation and the VX3 has 80. I typically hold for windage so capped windage is not an issue for me.

I am curious if others have been down this road and what recommendations they would have. Also, I get the special pricing on both.

Well from a 100 zero you gonna need to dial in about 65 moa (18ish mils)for a mile.

Prom personal experience I can tel you that cheaper scopes at the limits of their internal travel can really start to suffer optically so keep that in mind.

I’d consider a used scope.
A athlon Cronus is a big step up and has lots of internal travel, probably enough to dial a mile on a 20 moa rail.
Mine on a 30 moa can dial to about 2000 yards

Well from a 100 zero you gonna need to dial in about 65 moa (18ish mils)for a mile.

Prom personal experience I can tel you that cheaper scopes at the limits of their internal travel can really start to suffer optically so keep that in mind.

I’d consider a used scope.
A athlon Cronus is a big step up and has lots of internal travel, probably enough to dial a mile on a 20 moa rail.
Mine on a 30 moa can dial to about 2000 yards
+1 on what Steel Head said. But If you don't like Athlon look through the Optics Exchange for something in your price range.

Reactions: ehaleyjr86
Id go PST or try the new Strike Eagle, the limited mag range and FOV on the Leupold is not very attractive in 2020, also 5mil turrets are a but of a let down.

I like Leupolds VX5 and VX6 lines but the rest of their scopes leave a lot to be desired.

I mean you really can't go wrong with either. I really like vortex stuff but there really is nothing wrong with leupold either.

Definitely look at used. I've found some almost brand new glass for way less than new and can't hardly tell difference between new. If you're patient keep an eye out in the classifieds you can find some deals...Look at other forums classifieds also.