• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Vs Zeiss?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I am still in the market for a rifle scope and have begun doing a little bit more research as for i would like to have the scope by the beginning of summer so i can really get out there to do some practicing. I have a Montana Elk and Deer hunt coming up this year if the draw results come back good and i will be needing a good scope. I would also like to use this scope on my big game rifle and as my stepping stone for getting into serious long range hunting and shooting. I have begun with a Remington 700 SPS varmint 243. win topped with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm and have suggessfully made shots out too 600 yards. This new scope however will be placed on a 300. wsm

The two scopes i was looking at was the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm with the moa reticle. I love my vortex and have heard that the glass on the new ones are better. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the PST due to the issues before the new versions came out but not so much on the new versions however what i have heard is that they have improved very much. The other scope is the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm target turrets. I have heard amazing reviews on the Zeiss glass quality which makes me lean towards zeiss but i never hear anything on this scope being used for long range shooting or tracking quality which makes me lean towards Vortex.

Overall it will be my first real long range scope and first real high end scope other then my other vortex but then again it isn't really high end at all. So i will be impressed by glass quality either way. I talked to JonA and he said that the Vortex is a really impressive scope for the money. This scope will be used on game such as elk, deer, moose and the occasional black bear and caribou. Which scope is better for the money? which scope would you suggest? how is Zeiss costomer service as for everyone knows Vortex's is amazing. How is Zeiss for tracking compared to other high end scopes such as PST, Mark V, Nightforce, and sightron.

Re: Vortex Vs Zeiss?

the Zeiss scopes have a great track record of tracking, clarity and overall good scopes. The customer service is pretty good. Not having to use the customer service is even better.

Man, I might have to make the argument that the glass in the Conquest is better, but glass quality isn't everything (once you get to a point where both choices have good glass).

I was recently confronted with a similar quandry. I was trying to choose between staying with a Swarovski Z5 or going with a Nightforce 5.5-22X50. They both cost about the same. The Swaro had noticeably better glass and a bit of a wider field of view. The Nightforce had good glass and a bit of a narrower field of view, but the NF did have more elevation adjustment range and is built tougher. I felt that the NF glass quality was more than good enough and opted for the NF.

I would purchase the Zeiss.

I have spoken very highly of Vortex in the past. And when they work - they work. However, I had THREE problems with Vortex Spotting Scopes (I will get to the reg. scope below ...) and I finally made a FINAL return and received my money back. The Vortex warranty is GREAT (they stand behind their products ...), but IMO if you desire something to work - then Zeiss fits the bill better. WORK vs. Warranty. BTW Zeiss once exchanged out a reticle (nothing wrong w/ the original - just the wrong one for me...) for me for FREE as well - excellent CS.

Vortex was going to exchange my Spotting Scope for a PST (an exchange to my advantage $$$ wise). However, I borrowed a friend's first. It was new - only out to the range once. On the day we brought it out it was full of moisture. The same on the second day. It still ran - BUT ... already a problem!!!

I like Vortex CS. They are very friendly and professional. If you are just purchasing a scope for simple range use then it is probably be acceptable (it doesn't matter as much if it goes down, etc.). However, if you are purchasing one for any other reason then I would choose another brand. Others have had different experiences and like it - I just will not own another unless it is a gift, etc.

My vote for a hunting optic is Zeiss over Vortex.
I have a couple of Conquest scopes on hunting guns and they have always performed well. After having the misfortune of dropping one rifle two times in two weekends in the same mud hole (long story) and not having the Conquest loose zero, I am sold.

TonyAngel;

your information has been awesome, thankyou for the reply. I have been doing a good solid amount of research in the past few days and i have read a decent amount of issues with the Zeiss as far as tracking goes. I want the target model, not the standard hunting model. I read a few times that the tracking wasn't nearly as reliable as expected and they wouldn't suggest it as a target or a hunting scope cause if it messes up, you mess up, and a wounded animal is now on your hands. Where as for the Vortex most of the issues dont seem to be with tracking , and from what i have read the tracking is spot on as well as cs is better in-case. I do like the thought of the Zeiss glass quality though. A lot of the cases i read about said that they wouldn't suggest or buy another Zeiss for target but would defiantly buy a standard conquest due to there ruggedness and dependably and glass quality but as far as tracking goes and lots of turret adjustments go, they wouldn't suggest it. THats the part that makes me nervous. I cant afford the higher end model of Zeiss which are meant for long range dialing, but there just too expensive.

I can get a deal on the Vortex bringing it atleast 100 dollars less then the Zeiss? i know they track but some have issues. I know the Zeiss has better glass but have issues with tracking? i dont know if its worth risking it on the Zeiss?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I might have to make the argument that the glass in the Conquest is better, but glass quality isn't everything (once you get to a point where both choices have good glass).

I was recently confronted with a similar quandry. I was trying to choose between staying with a Swarovski Z5 or going with a Nightforce 5.5-22X50. They both cost about the same. The Swaro had noticeably better glass and a bit of a wider field of view. The Nightforce had good glass and a bit of a narrower field of view, but the NF did have more elevation adjustment range and is built tougher. I felt that the NF glass quality was more than good enough and opted for the NF. </div></div>

i run into this issue all the time, people like swarovski and so do i, but there are times you run out of adjustment. they know this

Yeah Jay, I've been trying to get out there to see you guys for the last couple of weeks. I just picked up a rifle that Don put together this past weekend and need glass on it.

Never used, or even looked through a Zeiss, but I don't think I'd hesitate to buy one! As far as long range? I know your rifle is going to be a 300, but the Z reticle is available, I think, for that caliber and it has nec to 800 I believe. The 308 Z-1000 has bdc to 1000yds!

With that being said, I own the same Viper as you (6.5-20X44) and I have had no problems with glass or tracking! I would not hesitate to buy a new PST at all. From all the reviews I've seen, except the initial problems, have been very good. I just wish they made the Viper series with exposed turrets. How ever they do make custom turrets for the scope for a couple hundred bucks.

I don't think you could go wrong either way really, as every manufacturer will and does have returns/warranties! Goodluck with your decision, Jason

I personally had to send back not one, but 2 Conquests. Zeiss was willing to replace, but said they had no stock. Fortunately I was dealing with Doug at CL and he got me taken care of ASAP.

When I got the 3rd I sold it, new.

Just today, I gave a $2500 plus Zeiss FL Victory Diavari scope back to my buddy. He was hoping I could get it fixed for him, but I could not. Once zeroed, it was in the top 1/3 of the elevation travel. Leaving him about 4 mils of up from a 100 yard zero.

Tried it with multiple rings and rifles. Just a defect.

Point is, all makers have them.

I would buy the Vortex PST simply because it is a better buy. High quality, more features, better value.

I have owned multiple Zeiss Conquests and have nothing but good to say about them. They are what sits on most of my hunting rifles. The glass is sharp and clear in all of the models and the adjustments have always been spot on. I haven't had any experience with Vortex, but I would recommend the Zeiss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned multiple Zeiss Conquests and have nothing but good to say about them. They are what sits on most of my hunting rifles. The glass is sharp and clear in all of the models and the adjustments have always been spot on. I haven't had any experience with Vortex, but I would recommend the Zeiss. </div></div>

I have owned both.

Zeiss makes some really nice stuff, and I am not afraid to buy another, but my view is that the PST is a far better buy, especially if you are doing more than just hunting.

PST's do all that Zeiss do, and offer much more that the Conquests do not.

That is my opinion.

In all reality lets compare hard numbers:
Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 MRAD

30mm tube
.1 mil adjustments
21 mils max travel
13.7" Length
4" Eye relief
27.4 ft FOV @ 100 yds on 4X
7.4 ft FOV @ 100 yds on 16X

MSRP- 949.00

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50

1" Tube
1/4 MOA
68 MOA total travel which roughly equates to 19 mils
14" Length
3.5" Eye relief
25.5 ft FOV @ 100yds on 4.5X
8.8 ft FOV @ 100yds on 14X

MSRP- 849

Similarities between the two: 50mm Objective lenses, warranties.

Differences: PST is a tactical price point scope, Conquest is a purpose built hunting scope.

Summary:

None of this is in anyway a dig at Vortex, I think highly of those guys over there and think they make great products and I dont have any affiliation with the guys at Zeiss Sport Optics.

The PST was developed as a price point tactical scope. What I mean by this is, Vortex said we want W,X,Y,and Z features in a scope and we want to sell it at B price point. They pulled it off well because for a FFP scope that come in under 1K with the features it has is outstanding. I haven't personally seen one, so I am going on purely internet specs from both websites. Vortex has a great track record of taking good care of their customers and being ever present here in the community.

The Conquest is a pure hunting scope and with no disagreeing from me, it is the low end Zeiss scope. Its obviously got a smaller tube than the PST, which limits the travel to some extent and the turrets are 1/4 MOA. What you do get is this: great lens coatings and an image that will "pop" out at you. Its got the great customer service from Zeiss Sport Optics.

But comparing a "tactical" scope to a "hunting" scope is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Where the Vortex shines is a different arena than were the Zeiss shines. No if ands or buts about it. I am well aware that they are both in the same general price point, but they aren't marketed to the same type of shooter. Now having said that, Zeiss doesn't make a scope in that price point that would compete with the features and end user preference this community prefers. The stories you hear about bad scopes from both companies.....well Shit happens from time to time, but you rarely hear the good stories from customers. Its a way of our society, you take care of me "thanks" but I have no interest to tell anyone, but you treat me wrong all hell is breaking loose.

In short, if one of those two scopes fits your needs and shooting style I say go for it. You will be happy with both for different reasons.....now for an apples to apples comparison lets compare the Hensoldt to the PST
wink.gif
<------that comment was meant to be funny now that you have read my pretty useless diatribe here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would purchase the Zeiss.

I have spoken very highly of Vortex in the past. And when they work - they work. However, I had THREE problems with Vortex Spotting Scopes (I will get to the reg. scope below ...) and I finally made a FINAL return and received my money back. The Vortex warranty is GREAT (they stand behind their products ...), but IMO if you desire something to work - then Zeiss fits the bill better.</div></div>

You're comparing apples to oranges here. It's like someone asking about Sony and Samsung TVs, but you say not to get the Sony because you had a problem with their DVD players.