• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex warranty rocks

atomic41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 4, 2013
    I just wanted to give a review of Vortex's warranty/repair service. I bought a new viper pst and after shooting it had a couple of issues. The illuminated reticle quit working and the the reticle rotated about 10 degrees clockwise. Scope was level with rifle but the reticle rotated.

I dropped it in a box, sent it off UPS on Monday. It was repaired and back on my doorstep the next Monday. That's fantastic and much appreciated! This is my first Vortex and won't be my last. Nice work!

I just wanted to give a review of Vortex's warranty/repair service. I bought a new viper pst and after shooting it had a couple of issues. The illuminated reticle quit working and the the reticle rotated about 10 degrees clockwise. Scope was level with rifle but the reticle rotated.

I dropped it in a box, sent it off UPS on Monday. It was repaired and back on my doorstep the next Monday. That's fantastic and much appreciated! This is my first Vortex and won't be my last. Nice work!

I would rather have a warranty that I won't ever use, Issues like that should not happen under normal use.

I like vortex scopes and have used the warranty too many times, but I can't afford a nightforce for all my rifles.

Well my repair was my fault, set my rifle were the dog could kock it over and the repaired it with out any problems.

Seems like everyone that buys this line of optics , gets to try this great warranty service out ? With all the to and from wait time , do you ever get to shoot any ?

Seems like everyone that buys this line of optics , gets to try this great warranty service out ? With all the to and from wait time , do you ever get to shoot any ?

usually in under a week I got a replacement scope.

Hypothetically, lets say there are 1000 threads like this on the net (way high) Do you really thing Vortex has only sold 1000 scopes? If there is ever a company who can product a fail proof product 100% of the time, Ill buy all my optics there. Until that happens I chose to buy from a company that will make it right if it does. I own 12 Vortex scopes right now (Razor thru crossfire 2), and have not sent one back yet.

I know these scopes are quite popular , as I see ton's for sale in the classifieds most days here on the Hide ?

I always get a kick out of these threads. Same shit every time, someone praises Vortex's warranty and someone else will bash them for having to use it. Best thing is to never have to use a warranty but in the event you do it would be nice if all companies acted like Vortex.

Glass fails just a fact of life. Vortex stands behind their products, not just some of their products, not just their high end products but all of their products for any and all reasons. I like this and for that reason I will buy their products.

I know these scopes are quite popular , as I see ton's for sale in the classifieds most days here on the Hide ?

You are right there, but I bet if you look at a car classifieds you see more Chevy's for sale than Ferrari's. Is that because no one likes the Chevy, or because there is a lot more of them?

I'm out as we have seen where this thread is going countless times. If Vortex takes care of the customer "Damn them for needing work" If they don't "Damn them for not standing behind their product".

I would rather have a warranty that I won't ever use, Issues like that should not happen under normal use.

I like vortex scopes and have used the warranty too many times, but I can't afford a nightforce for all my rifles.

buddies NF went in do to tracking errors... it took them 3 months to get it fixed and back to him... :(

Hypothetically, lets say there are 1000 threads like this on the net (way high) Do you really think Vortex has only sold 1000 scopes? If there is ever a company who can produce a fail proof product 100% of the time, Ill buy all fanmy optics there. Until that happens I chose to buy from a company that will make it right if it does.

This.

And most issues with Vortex seem to be when they are new. Once fixed or past that point, they don't need repair later in life, other than doing something stupid (having dog knock over rifle, run over scope with truck, etc).

So maybe one place Vortex is saving money is the QC. Let the customer QC and fix the few that have problems. I can live with that. Especially since they are so fast to repair or replace. I am not upset that a $900 scope needs to be fixed and is back ina week. I would be more upset if a $3000 scope had issues new (or shortly thereafter) and it took MONTHS to repair.

Especially since every scope maker has had scopes go out with issues or soon after being put into use.

Other than a dumb fuck breaking the ocular off my spotting scope i have not sent any stuff. Along with the other 10 people out here running psts that have never had a problem.

buddies NF went in do to tracking errors... it took them 3 months to get it fixed and back to him... :(

My Nightforce F1 went in because the zero stop would not turn... It took them 4 weeks to repair and return.

As folks have said already in this thread, scopes fail. Just a fact of life.

Other than a dumb fuck breaking the ocular off my spotting scope i have not sent any stuff. Along with the other 10 people out here running psts that have never had a problem.

Just curious. Do you have a picture of that?

Just curious. Do you have a picture of that?

no i dont it was 2 years ago and a week before deer season started the nice lady at vortex said she will make sure i had it back in time to hunt. Sent it in on a monday and had it back on friday. I had lost the screw on cover for the ocular and asked if i could buy a new one she said no but i will give you one. So they treated me right.

Vortex breaks and they fix it yay!!!! Start a thread and rub one out!!!!!

SWFA breaks and they fix it.... Quick sell that shit and buy something else!!!

USO breaks, send it in, wait......that is ok, you got other shit to use.

Schmidt & Bender, Premier, Kahles, other tier one scopes. They break, don't effing tell ANYONE!!! Tier one shit never break!!!!

Vortex breaks and they fix it yay!!!! Start a thread and rub one out!!!!!

SWFA breaks and they fix it.... Quick sell that shit and buy something else!!!

USO breaks, send it in, wait......that is ok, you got other shit to use.

Schmidt & Bender, Premier, Kahles, other tier one scopes. They break, don't effing tell ANYONE!!! Tier one shit never break!!!!

Like Rolls Royce of old. Owners thought they were perfectly reliable. The chauffeurs knew different. But Rolls never billed for repairs, so owners never knew. :)

Hypothetically, lets say there are 1000 threads like this on the net (way high) Do you really thing Vortex has only sold 1000 scopes? If there is ever a company who can product a fail proof product 100% of the time, Ill buy all my optics there. Until that happens I chose to buy from a company that will make it right if it does. I own 12 Vortex scopes right now (Razor thru crossfire 2), and have not sent one back yet.

I preffer to buy from a company that there is a good chance I WONT have any issues, but if I do, they will stand behind it.

Buying defective out of the gate is not a smart plan.

I preffer to buy from a company that there is a good chance I WONT have any issues, but if I do, they will stand behind it. Buying defective out of the gate is not a smart plan.

BUT but but... the warranty! And the free hats! And haters gonna hate! :)

I don't actually know how the PST defect rate compares to anything else... these threads have taken on a life of their own. I would really like to know, but I can't think of anyone who would have a large enough sample size, of both the PST and other brands/models, to be meaningful, and who wouldn't want to keep the information secret for proprietary reasons. (I'm sure Vortex knows the failure rate of their product, as does SWFA for theirs, etc... but why would any of them want to share?)

The other side of the issue is, if Vortex had THAT many failures to repair or replace, they would go out of business. Repairs and replacements cost money. And that money has to come from somewhere (even if the current administration does not understand that). So if they had that many failures, they would either have to change things to have less or to raise their prices.

LOL... I wonder if this is the same guy that was reading on here that SWFA had 4 failures on a model of scope and said "he was glad he was reading this and now was going to buy a Vortex instead because there were so many SWFA failures". LOL

Last edited:
    The other side of the issue is, if Vortex had THAT many failures to repair or replace, they would go out of business. Repairs and replacements cost money. And that money has to come from somewhere (even if the current administration does not understand that). So if they had that many failures, they would either have to change things to have less or to raise their prices.

Not when your scopes are made by little brown slave labor and cost maybe $100 to manufacture, QC (or not), box and ship over to the US, and they retail for $1000.

You can replace a whole lota scopes before you go from profit to loss.

LOL... I wonder if this is the same guy that was reading on here that SWFA had 4 failures on a model of scope and said "he was glad he was reading this and now was going to buy a Vortex instead because there were so many SWFA failures". LOL

I read that too and was LMAO..... Sometimes you gota let people make mistakes for themselves........its the only way they learn.

Not when your scopes are made by little brown slave labor and cost maybe $100 to manufacture, QC (or not), box and ship over to the US, and they retail for $1000.

You can replace a whole lota scopes before you go from profit to loss.

Dealer cost on that $1000 scope is $600 - keeps dealers pushing them babies nice and hard at $400 a shipping label. Which in retrospect makes the original cost around US$60 :(

Dealer cost on that $1000 scope is $600 - keeps dealers pushing them babies nice and hard at $400 a shipping label. Which in retrospect makes the original cost around US$60 :(

if thats the margins glass dealers are working with i picked the wrong fucking business.

You should do some research and look at margins. There is a reason SWFA is only sold at one dealer. NO middlemen. They pass that on as a low price. That is why you can buy a $700 3-15 that tracks like a $1500 scope. Leoplold, by my guess has huge margins because they have had their equipment paid off at the factory for years but still make the MK 4 and charge $1300+ for one with non matching turrets? That is what is insane to me.

Nope, wasn't me but thanks for trollin'.

I'm not sure why when someone wants to praise a company for standing behind their product, it is viewed as an invitation to trash talk said company but whatever makes you guys feel awesome...trash talk on!

I sent my PST in to have the black specs cleaned from the lense. The scope worked fine but was so pleased with vortex service that I bought their Razor HD. My thinking was that with only one rifle and one scope that if something happened to the glass during match season I could miss the entire season for a busted scope. With the vortex I would likely be back in the game in week. I've since bought two more Razors and couldn't be more pleased. I'm sure that the warranty is very good on other brands but...what if you drop your rig on the concrete garage floor and damage a turret. Are you going to be able to send that other scope back to the manufacturer for free repair and have it back before the next match? Maybe so but maybe they tell you tough cookies, hombre. Maybe they fix it for free but it takes them all season. So in my mind the warranty is as important as quality.