• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex zero stop windage?

thewolf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
Montana
So the other day I was stupid and decided to pull my rifle out of the bag through the back. That is unzip a little and slide it out front to back. Resulting in spinning the windage turret, which I didn’t know at the time.

After shooting about 5 rounds I realized that I wasn’t putting them all in the black circle but actually missing the entire paper. So I looked at my turret and the wind was around 1 mil off from 0. Put it back on 0 and let my friend take a few shots, still no hits.

After another 5 rounds at 50 and 100 yards I found out that my turret had spun 2 revolutions off my zero. Quite embarrassing since I was with a friend.

I was thinking about using the zero stop on the windage so if I do something stupid again I can reset to my zero easily. Say I put enough shims in so that it stops X mils off so all I have to do is spin to the zero. local max range is 700 and with a 20 mph wind that would be about 4 mils. As long as I leave at least 4 mils I should be ok plus I have the reticle.

Any thoughts on this?

Re: Vortex zero stop windage?

Take a dremel tool to the turret caps and remove the damn serrations that keep snagging in the first place. I'm just venting because everytime I use my Vortex I cut my thumb open on the illum. dial since I'm left handed. D:

So, you would only be able to dial for wind from one direction?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, you would only be able to dial for wind from one direction?

</div></div>
It would limit the adjustment in one direction. But I would set it so I had extra room. my turret is 5 mils per revolution so if I set one revolution off I would have 5 mils to dial plus the 4 or 5 in my reticle. Worst case I could still get about 10 mils.

There are revolution marks on both turrents. Just familize yourself with these marks and that will solve your problem.
The first thing I do with my with rifles with exposed turrets is check them for zero.

Take a picture with your camera phone where it is at "ZERO" and if you ever have a question pull up the picture... thats what I do with my scopes and Dial bullet seaters

Don n tx answered you very well. Ive had
the same problems, never used a zero stop.

Take time and make a mental checklist of what you meed to do and check BEFORE FIRING. Paying better attention to detail helps too

When you have your windage zeroed, just make your own fine reference mark off the edge of the turret cap with a sharp pencil or the point of a razor blade, something that you can check and know exactly where you are if needed in reference to zero windage. In the heat of things and running some good windage at a extended distance, I have seen folks get a whole rev off pretty easy.

I have three Razors a EBR3 and two EBR2s all are marked and used well