• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

zackme

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2012
WI
geting a used vortex 4-16x50 pst ffp mil. I want to get rings and maybe a base ordered as soon as possible so my new scope isn't sitting on the table taunting me. but i have a couple questions. putting it on a savage mark ii .22LR with cheap split base. unless the base wont work.

1. does any one know the out side dimensions of the bell? (i planned on taking half of that + base + 1/8" for bc caps = ring height to center of ring. yes?)
2. i figure i'd go with seekin rings, seem popular around here. are they the least likely to scratch or leave marks?
3. will i need a 20 moa base to zero at 25 yrds. and still reach 200yrds? if so
4. what is a good base to go with seekins rings? and place to get them? (all the sights i've looked at are a bit confusing as to whether they will line up with my savage mark ii. and/or have no indication they make one for a .22) does seekins make one?

i would like to get a base that has the side cut out for the ejection port. so i can get my finger in there if i need to. also,
i'll need a good but affordable torque wrench. im picturing one that i can put differnt bits in.

one stop shopping for rings,base, and torque wrench would be great. liberty optics or another local vender be able to hook me up?

Re: vortex ?

Normally around here you would be told to look for Badger Ordnance scope base but I don't think they make one for your .22?
EGW does. Yes I believe you will need the 20 moa.
http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage-mark-ii-and-93-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/
The Borkas torque wrench is very popular, but you said affordable?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023/...nch-screwdriver
Try Midway for the one stop shopping? Sorry I don't know the bell size? I have the 6-24x50 and not sure they are the same?
Good luck!

I just bought the Borka torque wrench and is very easy to use. Vortex web sight gives all the dimensions of the bells. Had to look that up when I was ordering my rings. One other thought about ring height, I could have ordered low rings and my front bell would have cleared but my adjustment ring on the scope wouldn't have cleared my base.

here is a pic of uso low rings on a cz 452 with a dip 25 moa base and a pst 4-16 ffp

IMAG0048.jpg

that might help, but probably not

thanks for all the tips.
i do remember reading about barrell contour being a factor, but i don't know how to tell what mine is. it is the heavy fluted barrel factory for savage mark ii.
also i thhink i'm going to get the dip 25 moa base. which i imagine will make a difference too, although i have no idea how much, and it will probablly depend on how far forward the scope sits, and what about a sun shade? am i wrong? otherwise it sounds hard to figure that out even if i had the scope and base. one more quetion. any issues with seekins rings and dip base? material wise i was thinking i read about one or the other ruinning the other because of softer metal on one or the other.(what i read was not these brands in particular, don't remember what they were.)

vette it looks like your little one will have a heck of a nice toy to grow into.