• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VPN which one is the best value and actually works?

I’ve had constant connection issues with PIA on iOS over the last 18 months. It works 90% (correction: 97% of the time, that 3% is just fucking annoying) of the time. Currently using NordVPN, which seems to be better but I’ve only been using it for a few weeks. Both have issues with GMail, specifically sending. I’ve had an email sitting in my outbox for days now with having tried both. It’s a known issue with PIA at least, and doesn’t always do it. Some emails go through, others do not.

EDIT:: Disclaimer: I route all my mobile traffic through a VPN so I see all the bugs, any VPN (that doesn’t keep logs) is better than none.

Ipvanish. Works good on both linux and android.. assuming windows. Worldwide access points, never had a connection issue or drops. No logs.

Reactions: RPN
If you run it inside a plain virtual machine that you destroy each time, it's pretty close. I assume NSA could do packet manipulation to track it, but other than that, it can be anonymous.
Actually agree with both comments. It can be effectively anonymous from 99.9% of the "normal internet", but ultimately when you use a commercial VPN there is one fundamental reality to deal with:

1.) You are surrendering all trust and all exit node traffic to be potentially visible by VPN Provider. You have to take them at their word that they are doing everything they can do ensure your traffic can't be linked back to you as an individual.

Depending on your goals for a VPN, that will shift where you land with a provider and also where the provider hosts their machines/servers:

If your exit node is located in the U.S. and E.U. based country, if push come to shove, unless the VPN is SUPER LOCKED In, they could get pinched hard for data records based on these 29 countries perspective of data retention, and/or get pinched to provide keys to actively monitor exit node traffic.

Scenario 1: Just looking to hide your activity from your IP provider, secure your connection from middle man attacks in your apartment/house airports/public/wifi etc, most VPNs will be just fine assuming they are using AES 256 at a minimum.

Scenario 2: Looking to hide your IP for torrenting, file sharing etc, double check the exit node's country's approach/policy to DMCA notifications, take down threats, etc.

Scenario 3: Trying to get netflix options in Australia, Canada, etc, anything is fine that works and hasn't been reported as a VPN

Scenario 4: Trying to "beat a state level actor" and get news out of a repressive country/government/etc, your game needs to step up significantly, start looking at multi-hop VPNs that have multiple nodes in various countries, that ultimately exit where data retention/take downs/international warrants are used as T.P.

Probably many others i'm not thinking of from much smarter peeps who do this shit more for a living

Reactions: Rover31
All of the above.

I've "done this shit for a living" for over two decades, I wish I'd invested in some of these companies early on. No shortage of fools who need parting from their money.

Reactions: Rover31
All of the above.

I've "done this shit for a living" for over two decades, I wish I'd invested in some of these companies early on. No shortage of fools who need parting from their money.

Not an IT Professional, but my work pushes me into the data protection lane often. I use a commercial VPN for private use, and after months of looking you realize most would buckle like a twig under any real scrutiny, and/or the money they are charging isn't inline with the broader value proposition of the marketing bullshit they spew.

But what are your more in-depth thoughts regarding actual providers? I've landed on MullVad personally.

But what are your more in-depth thoughts regarding actual providers? I've landed on MullVad personally.
I have no thoughts on individual vendors as the whole concept is a joke, in my opinion and experience. I would never subscribe to one. They are marketing based on FUD.

I should have included: unless you're looking to circumvent streaming services' regional content restrictions, or airlines' pricing algorithms - for now..

SSL encryption means that data between your web browser and virtually all web sites is already secure. The only thing these VPN products do is attempt to obfuscate the sites you are visiting, which is tracked by ISP's on either end of the connection anyway, and sold on to companies that correlate and use it in markets where that's not regulated. The data contained within, however, is secure either way. If you want to put on a tin-foil hat then, yes, if you were targeted as part of a high-level investigation, it could possibly be extracted. No criminal or commercial entity has those kinds of resources.

Commercial VPN (not what is being discussed here) is pretty secure and a very good way to protect corporate communication from remote employees to centralized facilities. That's point-to-point - your computer directly to the company you work for.

Reactions: chrome