• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo .22 LR - How much scope cant?

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am more than positive this question has been asked but I could not pull up anything in the search bar for this.

How much scope cant should I be looking for for a match .22 LR. My Vudoo is coming with 30 MOA and my S&B as 26 MRAD of travel. At 30 MOA I have roughly 4.3 MRAD left until the scope bottoms out. I could throw another 10 MOA base on there but I am concerned that may be overkill.

Thoughts?

30 or 40 are both fine. I’d stick with the 30 base, less chance of issues from tolerance stacking or just a bad part. 30 MOA will get you past any match target unless you’re talking ELR.

Agree with above. I use 40. In my opinion 60 is too much. While several high end scopes have that much travel, you will still be at the extreme limit of erector travel in the shorter distances that will be most common for rimfire shooting. That's going to degrade optical performance. If you are spending all your time shooting your Vudoo past 500 yards then you probably don't need my advice (maybe that of a psychiatrist though).

• Haha
Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
It depends on how far, of course, you intend to shoot.

I personally have 60moa total (20 base and 40 rings). With 34mil available in my scope, this affords me to have a 32y zero, with about 1 mil "down" available (1.53" nigh rings) I can direct dial out to 560y, at the DA's of my home range.

BTW: Most subsonic target loads at 440y will require about 23.5Mil of elevation. Depending, of course, on DA.

One thing to keep in mind, with a lot of cant, you may need to modify your cheek piece to allow you to see. I did on mine, anyway.

Last edited:
I have 50 moa on mine, and it's a bit high. I get like 30 mils of travel since my scope has 35mils, but I have never dialed 30mils... even. At Nationals, we shot out to like 365 yards and I was at like 17mils of dialing. I would probably go back down to 30-40.

Thanks for all of the feedback gents! Sounds like 30 is the ticket for me. Will only be shooting local matches and MAYBE out to 500 if I feel dangerous!

great feedback.

It depends on how far, of course, you intend to shoot.

I personally have 60moa total (20 base and 40 rings). With 34mil available in my scope, this affords me to have a 32y zero, with about 1 mil "down" available (1.53" nigh rings) I can direct dial out to 560y, at the DA's of my home range.

BTW: Most subsonic target loads at 440y will require about 23.5Mil of elevation. Depending, of course, on DA.

One thing to keep in mind, with a lot of cant, you may need to modify your cheek piece to allow you to see. I did on mine, anyway.
Which scope are you running. I am running my Razor on a 40moa and was thinking of going to a 60moa.

Which scope are you running. I am running my Razor on a 40moa and was thinking of going to a 60moa.

I think you will run into issues getting a zero with a 60 MOA base. I would stay with the 40 with the Razor.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Agree with above. I use 40. In my opinion 60 is too much. While several high end scopes have that much travel, you will still be at the extreme limit of erector travel in the shorter distances that will be most common for rimfire shooting. That's going to degrade optical performance. If you are spending all your time shooting your Vudoo past 500 yards then you probably don't need my advice (maybe that of a psychiatrist though).
I am assuming that with 26 MRAD of travel I would still be able to zero with 40 MOA on a .22 LR. Logic and experience tell me yes but I always worry

I have a 30 MOA base with my S&B and have no issues reaching out to 400 no problem. Most of my shots are between 25-250. I'd say overkill unless you plan on regularly shooting at 400+

I am assuming that with 26 MRAD of travel I would still be able to zero with 40 MOA on a .22 LR. Logic and experience tell me yes but I always worry

Most likely as people have been using 40 moa bases on S&B’s for a while but depends on your needs. 400 is about 21 mils and with the 30 moa base you should be pretty close to that so figure the range you need and go from there. You can always use the reticle to hold over for the last little bit if needed.