• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo polymer or aluminum magazine?

IamJoHo

Shoot Better Nerd
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2019
    Columbus, Oh
    www.facebook.com
    Have been using two polymer mags since October. I just got a 15 round aluminum mag. It is really nice but I feel like it is a bit more finicky when loading. This might just be me looking for issues. I did have to adjust my MPA mag catch so the polymers won’t run as well now so I will need to get a second aluminum.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the two? Also have noticed in all of Mike Bush’s instagram posts he is using a polymer mag. @RAVAGE88 is there a particular reason for what appears to be your preferred use of polymer mags?

Reactions: RAVAGE88
    Have been using two polymer mags since October. I just got a 15 round aluminum mag. It is really nice but I feel like it is a bit more finicky when loading. This might just be me looking for issues. I did have to adjust my MPA mag catch so the polymers won’t run as well now so I will need to get a second aluminum.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the two? Also have noticed in all of Mike Bush’s instagram posts he is using a polymer mag. @RAVAGE88 is there a particular reason for what appears to be your preferred use of polymer mags?
    Hey Dude,
    There are some unique differences between the Aluminum Magazines and the Glass Filled Nylon (GFN) Magazines. This is primarily due to molding various features versus machining those same features. A vital point to be made regarding the Aluminum magazines is, it takes a few rounds being fed from the Aluminum magazines to "break-in" the Anodizing. The brass cases initially do not like to slide across the fresh Anodizing on the feed lips, so one will feel more resistance to feeding than expected.

Once this resistance is felt, it's counterintuitive to push through it, but a steady forward pressure will feed the round across the top of the Anodizing. It's important that one does not bang the bolt forward with a hammering action. Once a few rounds have been fed, the surface on the feed lips slicks up and becomes more fluid.

There are going to be differences in fit to particular magazine wells and one can expect the Aluminum magazines to fit a little tighter than the GFN magazines. This level of tightness can be exacerbated by the varied dimensional differences across the available chassis systems, etc. For chassis systems with adjustable mag latches, there can be a difference in adjustment between Aluminum and GFN.

I primarily use GFN magazines because I have lots of them. I had quite a few Aluminum magazines early on, but I gave them to customers to use and they all work perfectly. At some point, I'll get more Aluminum mags for my own use, but it just hasn't been my focus for some period of time.

Hope this helps,
    MB

Reactions: Deej
    I have 10 GFN mags ad all function well. I have had 1 of each metal mag with the 15 rounder giving me issues. I finally slowed down enough and got with MB about the issue and all is solved as of now. I ordered 1 more 12 & 15 and I will be primarily using those in matches now. Everyone at the PRS match I shot on Sunday was using metal 12 & 15 round mags. There were just a few of us using the GFN.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
    I was wondering about this. It’s somewhat unfortunate that the GFN mags are dimensionally smaller (by reports I’m hearing). I have adjusted my chassis (Bravo) for the GFN mags to be very snug and they’re feeding flawlessly. I have zero issues with continuing to use them for now. If the need arises that I need more rounds for a stage I really wanted to get a 15. But that sounds like I would somewhat render my current mags prone to misfeed in certain situations unless I stopped using them altogether and only used the aluminum.

In my American Rifle Company XYLO Chassis the mags feed the same without issues on the chassis & mag latch part. My 10 round metal mag has been 100% flawless since day 1. I keep it on my pack for a second backup at a match.

On the MDT ACC and the XLR Envy the GFN and aluminum mags have ran perfect without any adjustment.

For the aluminum mags you just need to follow the mag loading video to make sure you don't rim lock the rounds. Loading the aluminum mags does take more attention. I've never loaded my GFN mag wrong.

I modified my GFN to take 11 and keep the pull tab. And I run 13 rounds in my 12 round aluminum. This covers 99% of the PRS/NRL22 stages.

Reactions: Defender32
    I posted this in another thread, and would welcome @RAVAGE88 's "take" on it: I find that, when I insure that bullet noses alternate side to side in my 15-rounders as shown in the photo, I don't encounter nose-down, rimlock-like failures to feed... but if I have two or more noses stacked on the same side of the mag, I am all too likely to get a nose-down, rimlock-like jam. I am now actively tracking this and will do a dedicated experiment after this weekend's match. Since I started watching this phenomenon, as long as I make sure the noses alternate, all is good.

I have a 1st-gen V22 in an MPA BA Comp chassis with the adjustable mag catch. Aluminum and GFN mags both work fine with the same adjustment as long as I observe the alternating-nose caveat.

I reserve the right to withdraw the caveat if a larger sample size or other data lead me away from it...
    IMG_3105.jpeg

I posted this in another thread, and would welcome @RAVAGE88 's "take" on it: I find that, when I insure that bullet noses alternate side to side in my 15-rounders as shown in the photo, I don't encounter nose-down, rimlock-like failures to feed... but if I have two or more noses stacked on the same side of the mag, I am all too likely to get a nose-down, rimlock-like jam. I am now actively tracking this and will do a dedicated experiment after this weekend's match. Since I started watching this phenomenon, as long as I make sure the noses alternate, all is good.

I have a 1st-gen V22 in an MPA BA Comp chassis with the adjustable mag catch. Aluminum and GFN mags both work fine with the same adjustment as long as I observe the alternating-nose caveat.

I reserve the right to withdraw the caveat if a larger sample size or other data lead me away from it...
    View attachment 7672199
    Yessir, the staggering of the loaded rounds is imperative to proper function. Due to the molded vs machined features I referred to in a prior post, this staggering isn't as "automatic" in the Aluminum mags as it is in the GFN mags. The staggering in the Aluminum mags has to be promoted by proper loading of the magazines, as outlined in various videos. Feed angle is also important.

MB

The staggering in the Aluminum mags has to be promoted by proper loading of the magazines...
    Heh. In North Carolina, in July, a major component of "proper loading" is simply getting all the super-slippery Lapua cartridges into the mag without dropping any on the ground...

Thanks MIke.

Do you ever sleep (4:18am post time)? Never mind, I withdraw the facetious question, I know the answer! :sleep:

Take care, sir.

Heh. In North Carolina, in July, a major component of "proper loading" is simply getting all the super-slippery Lapua cartridges into the mag without dropping any on the ground...

Thanks MIke.

Do you ever sleep (4:18am post time)? Never mind, I withdraw the facetious question, I know the answer! :sleep:

Take care, sir.
    👊 👊

MB

Reactions: Williwaw
    After my found Mag Spring issues above and @RAVAGE88 telling me to just flip it over as it would be G2G. I figured the spring needed to be flat on the floor plate as well. It was 100% flawless for 60 rounds last night. I did not cycle the bolt slow and I didn't cycle it fast. Just a fluid motion keeping the plate in view of the optic through the whole cycle. If you have a Vudoo problem of any sort MB can solve and will do everything he can to do so. Thanks MB I appreciate it. Now buy a good bottle of Bourbon (Weller 12) and enjoy some of it this weekend.

I find using a mag loading device with the Aluminum mags (I have a JKL but I think Vudoo sells them now also) helps stack the rounds correctly everytime, I have not had a problem with nose dives since I've started using them.

Jeff

Reactions: Defender32
    I find using a mag loading device with the Aluminum mags (I have a JKL but I think Vudoo sells them now also) helps stack the rounds correctly everytime, I have not had a problem with nose dives since I've started using them.

Jeff
    Can you post a picture of the loading device? I didn't know there was such a thing for these.

Can you post a picture of the loading device? I didn't know there was such a thing for these.

I swear I've seen a red version of this device on Vudoo's site, but it's not there now. I use the JKL in the link above and it works just fine.

Jeff