• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes VX-III or Hold Out for NF?

tj223

Hacker
Minuteman
Ok, I am building a Remmy 700 in 223. And need some advice.

I am very new to long range stuff. Mainly a rimfire guy.

Here's the deal. I have about $700 to spend on an optic at the moment, but I would like an optic within the next month to practice with.

I think I can find a VX-III 8.5-25X50 for under $700. I have also been looking at some Vortex Scopes.

So my question is, Do I :

A - Go with the VX-III and be done with it.
OR
B - Buy a Vortex (or other comparable glass, suggestions?) for under $250 and save up for a NF.

Also which model NF would be recommended? I will only be shooting paper with this setup.

Basically is a NF so much better than a leupold that I absolutely must hold out?

Re: VX-III or Hold Out for NF?

www.vortextactical.com and look up the Vortex PST coming out soon, should be 2 months or so, 6-24 should be about $800 street price and offer a lot of features including FFP reticle. SFP will be even cheaper.

i can't begin to tell you how many leupold have won comps.

be aware that the 8.5x25x50 is REAL eye relief sensitive....real sensitive

BR is right. Leupold's have won MANY, MANY comps. More than any other scope producer.

However, I just have to say, that NF is a great scope. All else being equal, I'd be curious to know what percentages of Leupolds have won comps to the percentages of NFs that won comps. It might be closer than one thinks. Leupold has a clear advantage simply due to the fact that they have MANY more years under their belts.

NF is hard to beat. I won't own another Leupold for my own reasons.

Nightforce Nightforce Nightforce. I'll never buy another Leupold again.

Keith

I dont think you could go wrong with any of the three companys products that youre looking at.

Well which NF would you guys recommend the NXS or BR?

I have read up on the differences between the two, but I am still unclear on the advantages/disadvantages of them.

I have shot a friends NF that had the side focus, which I liked.

Unless you're way into punching paper for tight groups the 25X is a little over kill for a .223 in my opinion.

I have a NF NXS 3-15X50 NP-R1 and I have been very impressed by it. I have it mounted on a .223 and it has pleanty of magnification for me.

The BR line of scopes are more geared for Bench Rest / Target Shooters and the NXS line is built a little more robust for use in the field.

If you already have something set up for shooting and that you enjoy shooting, waiting for a NXS may be worth while. If you don't, I personally, would rather have something to shoot and practice with than wait months to afford the scope.

RMW, I think your post is exactly what I needed to hear in regards to my dilemma. I will try to get something to get me by until I can afford a NXS.

This will be a custom barrel trued to the receiver. The guy doing it says that it should shoot up to 1000 yds. But I currently shoot on my range which is about 350 yds and I am about to extend it to about 600 yds. So 600 is where I will be shooting it the most.

Is 25X overkill at 600 yds?

And I trust what he says, but is 1000 yds with a .223 even possible?

Also I may eventually build a .308 and would then move the scope over to it. So that is why I want to go ahead and buy a scope that can work for the really long stuff.

Ok, so I found the Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire for $99.95 on SWFA. I think it is exclusive to SWFA. It is out of stock. But you can backorder it. I have a buddy that said that he was pretty impressed with it. And he is usually very skeptical and even more critical when it comes to glass. He is a NF guy for sure. If he says it is nice, then I am seriously considering it to hold me until I can afford the NF.

Would this be an option to tide me over? Has anyone else had any experience with this scope?

I bought a Vari X III to start with. I bought the 6.5 X 20 with a 40mm front lens and side focus. The 30mm tube seemed to help. It was a good scope and never regret having bought it. I just traded it as part of a trade for a NF 12x42. The leupold held it's value and was a great way to start. I just wanted something with higher magnification to go on my 50cal. So, basically what I am saying is start with the Leupold and trade up later if you decide to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you're way into punching paper for tight groups the 25X is a little over kill for a .223 in my opinion.

I have a NF NXS 3-15X50 NP-R1 and I have been very impressed by it. I have it mounted on a .223 and it has pleanty of magnification for me.

The BR line of scopes are more geared for Bench Rest / Target Shooters and the NXS line is built a little more robust for use in the field.

If you already have something set up for shooting and that you enjoy shooting, waiting for a NXS may be worth while. If you don't, I personally, would rather have something to shoot and practice with than wait months to afford the scope.

</div></div>

+1 I also put a NXS 3x15 on a .223 with plenty of power. Remember the Nightforce is HUGE compared to the Leupold in size and weight. I do think that the Nightforce is a better scope than the Leupold, but you will NOT shoot any better with the Nightforce over the Leupold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOM T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RMW, I think your post is exactly what I needed to hear in regards to my dilemma. I will try to get something to get me by until I can afford a NXS.

This will be a custom barrel trued to the receiver. The guy doing it says that it should shoot up to 1000 yds. But I currently shoot on my range which is about 350 yds and I am about to extend it to about 600 yds. So 600 is where I will be shooting it the most.

Is 25X overkill at 600 yds?

And I trust what he says, but is 1000 yds with a .223 even possible?

Also I may eventually build a .308 and would then move the scope over to it. So that is why I want to go ahead and buy a scope that can work for the really long stuff.

Ok, so I found the Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire for $99.95 on SWFA. I think it is exclusive to SWFA. It is out of stock. But you can backorder it. I have a buddy that said that he was pretty impressed with it. And he is usually very skeptical and even more critical when it comes to glass. He is a NF guy for sure. If he says it is nice, then I am seriously considering it to hold me until I can afford the NF.

Would this be an option to tide me over? Has anyone else had any experience with this scope? </div></div>

Tom T -

When I am shooting at 600 yards, normally I am around 10 - 12 power.

If you're thinking of shoting at 1K, you should be looking at something like a .308.

You may want to consider looking for a nice used Leupold or something similar. Or purchase something like a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X40, which can be found for under $300 new. They are great scopes for the money. My father in law has mine mounted on his .223 and my brother in law put one on his .308 Remington LTR.

I have read that the Falcon line of scopes are great for the money. You may want to check into them.

It sounds like you're putting together a nice rifle. I would put a descent optic on it while you save for something like the Nightforce. I also would be skeptical of any scope in the $100 price range.

Nightforce is a bad scope! I just bought a NXS 3.5x15x56. It is nore than one can dream of.

However you will not be shooting a 223 out to 1000 yards. 10 power is plenty unless you feel you really need more to 600 yards. Being a new distance shooter, 600 yards with a 223 is going to be a learning adventure. Six hundred is the max distance for that round for consistant accuracy. Others may say different, but they must be great shooters, David Tubbs would be one.

Don't rule out Zeiss. Excellent glass, and most who look through them like them over lupy. They are right at your price range.
Also +1 for the new vortex.

I don't know what your shooting goal is at 1000 yards. But an informal group of us shoot 3/4 scale steel IPSC targets set up at 700, 800, 900 and 1000 yards with several calibers and 1000 yards with a 223 for these targets is possiable unless winds get strong.

I recently bought a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X42 for $400.00 and like it. Side focus, clear glass, 30mm tube make it a great value. If you want a bargin while waiting for the dollars for a NF take a look at this one.