• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes VX-R 1-4 line german #4

rweaver00geo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
benton il
Ive been considering buying the model with the standard duplex or german #4 style crosshairs. On the leupold website it says "includes metric" what does that mean? Is the adjustment in mils? It is for an ar carbine and I dont feel the need for the spr reticle or a vortex for the same reason, even though I like that one too. I also dont feel the need for exposed turrets like on the vx-r patrol since I dont plan doing much shooting past 400 with this.

Yes the metric is mil, I have the metric 2-7x33 and the click value are 1 cm @100m. I verified with some 100Y 1 mil targets from Storm Tac, dialed 1 mil up, grouped 1 mil up.

I had similar thinking of only 400Y max shots, but hunting in the mountains (30-06), there are opportunities for cross canyon shots. So I sent mine in to have a Patrol external elevation turret and cap installed. I left the windage stock. The German/firedot 4 is nice for quick acquisition.

Last edited:
Interesting? what did that run if you dont mind me askin. I was thinking of down the road doing the CDS (custom dial system) but that would be somewhat negated by the covered turrets. Just to clarify, the ger#4 would be in mil? Or is the #4 available in moa and mil?

I got the scope at Midway, at the time it was on sale for $425 or something like that. The turret was $85, you have to ship it there, they shipped mine back. It comes with one free generic dial.

I later wanted to add a CDS dial, but the only mil/metric one is the patrol. The hunting cds dial is just a tad shorter and it only comes in 1/4moa, but I did not want 1/4 moa elevation and .1mil windage. As for the German #4, it is only available in the metric/mil version of the VX-R.

I think the price of the scope is a bit higher now. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...justments-illuminated-firedot-4-reticle-matte

Here is the catalog http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012_Leupold_Catalog.pdf?9d7bd4

As you can see in the pic, the turret is not that high. They originally sent me a VXR Patrol 223 (55gr, 3100fps) ballistic dial, with yardage and tiny mil numbers and I wrote them and they sent me another dial with just 1/10 mil numbers on it for free. Custom dials run $65 each.

dsc05923mf.jpg

dsc059232.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet set up! Id prefer MOA but Im familiar with a mil scope especially in this case where I would set a 200 yard zero and not do any cranking on the knobs.

Thanks,

Leupold does offer the SPR (special purpose reticle) in the patrol 1-4, but not the standard VXR. The standard VXR has the ballistic dot with MOA drops.

I have been thinking of the VXR 3x7 for a 300 Blackout. It's nice to know that I can get the dials switched out. Now that I've seen the scope on a rifle, I like it even more. Any chance to get a closeup of the dials?

Here are some pics

You can see the click values of the windage are 1cm per 100m, numbers same as a 1/10'th mil dial. The elevation is the 223 one they sent me, I made it into a BDC dial by printing a small strip on Word for 155 scenar. The dial came with Yards and the tiny little mil drops below. The windage is the bottle cap style found on the VX3.

dsc05947e.jpg

The height of the elevation is not that high, a standard moa is just a bit shorter and less aggressive. The numbers on the left are the laser engraved, the ones on the right are the label and tape I made.

dsc05948r.jpg

Here is the standard generic mil dial for the Patrol, can swap it out in a jiffy.

dsc05945e.jpg

Last edited:
I went with the VX-R Patrol version with the Firedot for my girlfriend's rifle I'm just finishing up. It should arrive tomorrow or Thursday and it'll be going to the range Friday for function check, zero and optics check. I'm pretty anxious to check it out.

You are right on exposed turrets. I have never touched mine on my SPR (ish) rifle with the Vortex Razor. But I have a BDC out to 700 with their EBR .556 reticule. I'm interested to see how the Leupy runs since it doesn't have a BDC - not a big deal for me. But teaching her the mil system may be fun.

My largest concern will be illumination at 1.25x for short range.

We will see shortly.

Let me know on your opinion on the spr subtensions from what I could tell the first hash would get you in the 500 yard range? That doesnt help me with the application I have in mind for this scope rifle setup. Also is there a difference on the spr and the fire dot circle (that may be a new thread)? ...yes big difference

Last edited:
I have the 2 x 7 on my blackout. The firedot and low mag works real good for shooting running stuff at close range (pigs) and seven power is plenty for as far as the round is good for. I have the reticle with a circle around the dot. One of the lower hash marks works as a 100 yard hold for subsonic

Related but different question: I need a suggestion as to which Hide sponsor vendor(s) I should go to find my VXR scope. I want to support these guys vice just doing an internet search.
Thanks,

The firedot on the 1-4, at 4x takes up too much space at 100yds for shooting small groups and the reticle w/o the dot on is the same way. Great for say shooting hogs if you don't care if you're shooting 1 1/2 inch groups. But if you rifle will do an inch or under, you'll be greatly disappointed...sold mine.

finally got a reply from leupold
at x4 = 2.5 moa x12=1.0 moa
for the fire dot