• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes VX6 or VX5 or NX8

MachoKing

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2017
Need a new scope for my new build. Looking at the VX 6 in 3-18x44, VX 5 in 3-15x44 and the NX8 in 2.5-20x50. I like the lighter weight of the VX series but 15x as max zoom would be a downgrade from my LRHS. I like the NX8 but it's more expensive of course. The VX5 doesn't have some of the nice to haves that the 6 does but is still capable IMO

Last edited:
Vx-6hd 3-18x50 would be my vote. The depth of field and eyebox on the vx-6hd will be better than the nx8. But the nx8 has better reticle choices.

^^^That. It’s not much heavier at all; my LRHS is moving to my “long range” hunting rifle this off season.

The VX 5 and 6 HD lines are great on weight and to my eyes have always had awesome glass, but you have to get into the Mark series before a Leupy will reliably and consistently track. For a hunting rifle where you shouldn’t be shooting THAT far I think the VX5HD at 15x using the Impact29 moa reticle is the bargain of that group. Use the reticle instead of dialing and you’ll be good.

I'm not getting rid of the LRHS, I'm moving it to my wife's rifle. If a scope won't track correctly I don't really want it. I looked at the Mark 5 but damn I'd have to get all new scope mount hardware because they have to be different and have a 35mm tube.

I used to have two LRHS but we kinda fell on hard times a few months ago and I had to shrink my gun collection.

Guess I could buy an LRTS but it'd be nice to have HD glass.

These are very different optics, the VX series being SFP hunting oriented scopes and the NF being a FFP tactical/crossover scope. What is the intended usage here? I’m interested to see where these three scopes’ applications overlap with one another.

These are very different optics, the VX series being SFP hunting oriented scopes and the NF being a FFP tactical/crossover scope. What is the intended usage here? I’m interested to see where these three scopes’ applications overlap with one another.
Hunting up to 1000 yards.

Eh, I'll have to pick that one up later. Couldn't pass on the Military price for the VX-5HD. This is a lightweight/backcountry build so the 19oz weight with decent glass was a real selling point. The entire rifle minus ammo is 7.85lbs.

Reactions: Campt413
Eh, I'll have to pick that one up later. Couldn't pass on the Military price for the VX-5HD. This is a lightweight/backcountry build so the 19oz weight with decent glass was a real selling point. The entire rifle minus ammo is 7.85lbs.
Do you have military prices for vx-5hd ?
text me 860-718-5274

The eyebox is finicky with the VX5 that I have when using higher magnification. Its useable but not great. Im happy with the glass for what it is.

Pick up a FFP 4-14x50 NF shv since you can't go above so much. I've had the vx5 and the SHV, shv all the way. The vx5 came with a canted reticle, was 50% off in elevation tracking, had a complete and utter inability to hold a zero.

In that price range, a Bushnell LRTS is $750 at Cameraland right now.

Tad heavier. Works amazing.
Better chance its good to go with reticle tracking from my anecdotal observations.

Also, if 10 oz on your rifle kills your hunt, train harder.

Not trying to be a jerk, but thats a true statement.

Price matters too. I get that.
Which is why my hunters run LRHS I bought used on here.

Do you have military prices for vx-5hd ?
text me 860-718-5274

Your probably just as well off to call Leupold. Prices may have changed and OP hasn’t been on here since August

Reactions: TCG76