• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

VZ-58 Reliability

michael357

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2011
VZ-58 Reliability

<span style="font-weight: bold">How reliable are they ?</span>
How accurate ?
How do they compare to AK ?

Re: VZ-58 Reliability

The VZ-58?

When you own one ...

... women are drawn to you with a force greater than that of the attraction of gravity upon mass.

... gentle breezes forever caress you, even in saunas and hurricanes.

... you short-dick the Dos Equis man <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> Chuck Norris.

... you gently perspire something that can only be described as a cross between Drakkar Noir and Spanish fly.

... AKs tremble with impotent rage at their relative lameness.

... you generate a +10 hit count and are surrounded by a cloak of invisibility.

... the earth stops moving once a day, and only continues its spiral motion at the suggestion of your gracious assent.

... ammunition mysteriously replenishes itself <span style="font-style: italic">in the magazine as you shoot.</span> No word of a lie!

... North Korea willingly comes to the table and promises to have a yard sale of all Kim Jong Il's old shit and feed their nation on the proceeds.

Seriously, it's a cosmic game-changer, bro!

I don't have one, but have lusted for one for a while. I've watched enough videos on them to classify me as a "well informed internet guru" but never held one. That said, I can only truthfully answer your third question:

They are similar to an AK in appearance alone.

I owned 2 VZ58s and 1 VZ2008.

I experienced none of Veer Gs elements
wink.gif

The design of the weapon lends to solid reliability IF you get a good one to begin with. Some of the early VZ2008s suffered from bad trigger resets and the action would stay locked shut.

Accuracy is battle field grade. 2-3 MOA with surplus and 2 MOA with reloads.

They are nothing like an AK in any way.

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned 2 VZ58s and 1 VZ2008.

</div></div>

Why did you sell them ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Which one is more reliable ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FA<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">i</span></span>L </div></div>

laugh.gif

what do you get when you spell FAL backwards?

is this the thread for posting questions regarding tips for properly engaging the safety on my Airsoft FAL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael357</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned 2 VZ58s and 1 VZ2008.

</div></div>

Why did you sell them ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Which one is more reliable ? </div></div>

I'm going to dignify this thread with an appropriate response without going into your reasoning in starting such compare and contrast threads.

So, let's consider the "AK." The reliability of any given "AK" is a factor of its age, its use, the quality of its maintenance, and the quality of its construction, and all of these factors are relative.

The "AK" itself is a basic design of interrelated parts that allow it to function with a relatively, and I say <span style="font-style: italic">relatively</span> high degree of reliability, given the adverse set of conditions under which it may be found in any given environment.

Most of us, here in the peace and tranquility of non-combatant life, regularly clean and lubricate our firearms well in excess of what is needed, and we don't subject them to constant, hard use as we navigate the rough patch between our homes and the grocery store.

If, however, the bottom were to fall out of our charmed existences, the somewhat forgiving design of the "AK" would allow it to go on for a bit without enjoying its former level of care. If you don't believe me, visit Youtube; there are plenty of silly videos in which dirt and pebbles are dumped into "AKs," which are then successfully test-fired.

I have yet to see or hear of videos in which VZ-58s were subject to such abuse. Perhaps it's more acceptable to half-kill $450 WASRs (notice I didn't type "WASRs," there's a reason for that), or perhaps the Czechs just aren't dull enough, on average, to be conned into attempting to blow up perfectly fine rifles by burying them in vegetable gardens in Prague and then firing them up. After all, the drunken monkeys of some of our larger US firearms companies have to have a sufficient base weapon with which to work in order to deliver the canted-sight and keyholing-barrel masterpieces that we have come to expect from them.

Now, then, as to the "AK." There is no such thing as "the AK," but, rather, just a bunch of examples of local production and variants that share certain common characteristics and features. While not quite a complete list, they include examples of the design either presently or historically manufactured or modified in Afghanistan, Albania, Bulgaria, China, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Egypt, Finland, Hungary, India, Iraq, Iran, Israel, North Korea, Pakistan, Poland, Romania, Russia, Yugoslavia, and only God knows where else. These designs include short-barreled, long-barreled, and in-between-barreled carbines and rifles in at least six different calibers, some of them produced by hand in small-town shops and mountain-side caves, and others in modern factories.

Given the vast number of varieties of the Kalashnikov design, then, and the possibility of little or lots of prior use, followed by up-to-snuff (or not) reconditioning and semi-automatic repurposing by a stateside gunsmith, it's quite possible that some of them might be more reliable, and some of them less reliable, than any given example of a VZ-58. Thus, then, my frustration with your question.

Given the ability to secure ammunition, magazines, and parts, were I to suggest one or the other to you, I'd say that any standard AKM-type AK design in 7.62x39 would be a fairly safe bet, notwithstanding your possible desire to gum it up with Lego bricks and half-chewed peanut brittle before running a magazine-full of ammo through it. Good luck with your future endeavors, OP, and realize that there is nothing under God's blue sky that you cannot make worse for your possession of it, with the possible exception of a spectacularly large rock that you cannot possibly lift.

Other than the cartridge fired there not many similarities with an AKM or AK47. The Czechs issued the VZ58s with a few different muzzle devices, a 2 port comp is fairly common. The cycle rate is slightly faster compared to an AKM (depending on style of rate reducer installed).

For a semi auto, I would purchase one of the Czech imports and not some cobbled together POS on a joke of a US milled receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can I get a Vz-58?

Greg </div></div>

I used to have a VZ, I regret selling it now, it was a fun, reliable, well built rifle (I built it btw
grin.gif
)

YOU CAN BUY THEM HERE:
Czechpoint

THESE are TONS better in comparison with Century ape jobs....

I am considering buying another, instead of building, and I would buy a czechpoint without hesitation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can I get a Vz-58?

Greg </div></div>

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/vz-58-military-sporter/

Only on the used market, now. </div></div>

??? CZECHPOINT my friend.

Perhaps this will help the OP in his random quest for INPUT ...

From the aforementioned Czechpoint:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Advantages of Sa vz. 58 over AK-47 rifles

All vz. 58 rifles possess a milled receiver; the vast majority of AK-47s utilize stamped sheet metal receivers and are not as rigid as the vz.58 receiver.
Even with the milled receiver it is almost one pound lighter than a stamped AK-47.
The bolt of the vz. 58 stays open after the last round in the magazine has been fired – the shooter immediately knows the firearm is empty and allows for quicker reloads.
The vz. 58 can be reloaded with stripper clips while the magazine is inserted in the rifle.
The vz. 58 has a more natural point of aim and is faster handling.
The safety is more ergonomic making a faster first shot possible with the vz. 58. Unlike the AK safety, the vz. 58 safety can be operated by just a forefinger with the hand remaining on the pistol grip.
vz.58 has no need for an ejection port dust cover as the receiver is completely enclosed. A cover (on the safety lever) must be used on the AK-47 to prevent debris from entering the receiver through the reciprocating charging handle slot.
The ejection port is HUGE. There is no chance of an empty case getting stuck in the action of the vz. 58.
The vz. 58 gas piston can be removed or exchanged without tools.
The alloy magazine of the vz. 58 is half the weight of the steel AK-47 magazine.
The vz. 58 is striker fired unlike the hammer fired AK-47. This reduces the number of parts and possible points of failure.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michael357</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bennybone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned 2 VZ58s and 1 VZ2008.

</div></div>

Why did you sell them ?

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Because I do not keep every gun I buy AND it wasn't accurate enough for my application(s)</span></span>

</div></div>

Which one is more reliable ?

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">I cannot say for sure in my limited experience with both</span></span>

</div></div>

If you go here you will get ALL the information you will ever need

Dedicated VZ58 forum

Lastly I preferred the Century gun to the Czechpoint models.

BB