• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

VZ24 Sniper

angsniper

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2005
Ok. USA
Here's my VZ24 sniper. It shoots .75 MOA with handloads.
VZ24sniper.jpg

Re: VZ24 Sniper

I just got the new SOG catalog and they've got VZ-24's for under $200.

I've been thinking about a Mauser build,and was wondering if this would be a good choice for a sporter conversion.

Is there anyone that offers pre-threaded and chambered barrels to fit this action? I know it wouldn't be cost effective, but it would be cool to see what one with a trued action, lapped lugs and a heavy barrel would be capable of in .260... Anyone know a smith that specializes in Mausers?

If I pick this up for two bills, and drop another 600-700 for the barrel and action work it might not be too bad. With the proper work (incl. bedded action with pillars, Timney, free-floated barrel) is there any reason a Mauser action couldn't hold it's own to be a sub-moa rifle in that caliber?

Re: VZ24 Sniper

Wannashootit,

I'm not normally the one to say it, but if the rifle is in original condition and good enough to qualify as a collectable, I wouldn't break it up to make a custom.

I would make a custom from a Mauser in 1.1 seconds though if I knew it had no collectability. I love the control/positive feed and very strong extraction. The actions themselves are very strong. Also, when not strong enough for an overload have a way to disperse that. Unlike the the original Rem 722/721/725 and 700 that was derived from them.

What you are basically going to do is remove the barrel and stock, true the action, replace the trigger and barrel with a cartridge chambering that you like and then stick it in a stock you like and bed it. Drill and tap it for scope bases and then put a scope on it. Done right that rifle will easily shoot sub-moa if not 1/4 moa. I have several that will do that.

The guy that has worked on several of mine and done an outstanding job is Jim Kobe in Bloomington MN.