• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WA, OR and ID sniper challenge type matches?

Glization

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
Washington
I've done several other competitive shooting disciplines but have never done anything related to long range shooting and am interested in doing my first match. Is there a list anywhere of sniper challenge type events in the WA, OR, ID area? Or any events that anyone would recommend? I definitely lean more towards reality based competitions but if anyone has any ideas on what I should try please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for the help.

The Great Basin Precision Rifle Match on the first Friday-through Sunday of every month at the COSSA Range in Bend Oregon ... is awesome. Friday and Saturday are intermediate and long-range days out to 1-mile, with PRC position shooting after the long-range event. There are multiple spotters, and plenty of help (this is where I got my first 1-mile hit). Sunday is "Gas Gun Day". They have steel and tactical targets at lots of distances, and even have "Movers" at three distances out to 1,000 yards. They keep score of hits and misses but it's more about learning and having fun, getting better, and competing against yourself.

The next event is December 3-to-5. You can get information about the match and how to register ... HERE.

Here's the Web address for my favorite range on the planet ... so lucky it's only 30 minutes from my home:

• Wow
Reactions: Bigrederic
The Great Basin Precision Rifle Match on the first Friday-through Sunday of every month at the COSSA Range in Bend Oregon ... is awesome. Friday and Saturday are intermediate and long-range days out to 1-mile, with PRC position shooting after the long-range event. There are multiple spotters, and plenty of help (this is where I got my first 1-mile hit). Sunday is "Gas Gun Day". They have steel and tactical targets at lots of distances, and even have "Movers" at three distances out to 1,000 yards. They keep score of hits and misses but it's more about learning and having fun, getting better, and competing against yourself.

The next event is December 3-to-5. You can get information about the match and how to register ... HERE.

Here's the Web address for my favorite range on the planet ... so lucky it's only 30 minutes from my home:

Any progress towards getting PRS /NRL sanctioned matches?

We had Tim come out to Lead Farm last month to meet with some of the NRL guys and check out how the Matches are run.

There are a bunch of us from the PDX area waiting for more matches that are within 3 hours.

Thanks for the feedback. I used to live in Corvallis and Oregon definitely had better ranges than Western WA. Have you ever shot the match at the upper nisqually sportsman’s club?

Any progress towards getting PRS /NRL sanctioned matches?

We had Tim come out to Lead Farm last month to meet with some of the NRL guys and check out how the Matches are run.

There are a bunch of us from the PDX area waiting for more matches that are within 3 hours.
Not that I'm aware of, but Rod at COSSA is the all-knowing entity regarding this. His contact info is in the Great Basin disciplines section of the COSSA web site. I like of like the "light competition" / "heavy fun" monthly matches, but I also get why some would want a more serious and formalized PRS match.

Thanks for the feedback. I used to live in Corvallis and Oregon definitely had better ranges than Western WA. Have you ever shot the match at the upper nisqually sportsman’s club?
I've only traveled to the Varmint Sillouette Match at the Parma Idaho Gun Club ... it was a lot of fun and very challenging. For everything else, I stay local here in the Bend, OR area.

I was out of town for the one last week but am planning to shoot the next one (Feburary I think). Rumor is the Tilamook Match (Ttown tack driver) may have more than one a year too.

There are also the two NRL Hunter matches next year. One in Benge WA and one in Madras a week apart.

If you shoot NRL22, there are alot more options too.

I was out of town for the one last week but am planning to shoot the next one (Feburary I think). Rumor is the Tilamook Match (Ttown tack driver) may have more than one a year too.

There are also the two NRL Hunter matches next year. One in Benge WA and one in Madras a week apart.

If you shoot NRL22, there are alot more options too.
From what I’ve been able to find the nisqually match is the closest to where I’m at. So at least while I’m still discovering myself with regards to precision rifle I’ll try that out then venture farther afield.

The match director at UNSC is top notch. The venue has its limitations, but the matches are well thought of. Not sure exactly what you mean by "reality based", but you'll find differing opinions about PRS style matches and their basis in reality. Plenty of matches in the PNW. Most weekends will give you plenty of options. Join the Northwest Precision Community group on FB.

Last edited:
UNSC is great, but the next match probably isn’t until spring. Sun Valley in Moxee has a monthly match that is a good intro into rifle matches, low key. It is more PRS style but pretty casual. If you want “practical” where you have to range and engage in the clock then there is a whole rifleman’s team challenge series, mainly for 2 man teams but some option for solo shooters.

Honestly if you’re looking to compete it’s probably easier to start out with “PRS” style matches because it’s just the shooting part minus the locating/ranging so a bit simpler. You can always branch out to the field style matches, there’s a lot of crossover.

The Facebook group mentioned above is good, here is the match calendar that keeps track of the options out there … plus the national matches too.

-Lead Farm has about a match a month or so. Great Venue, always has good mix of regional and national top shooters and the guys who run it are top notch MD's & Shooters. Sheldon whooped everyone's butt the last time he shot there.
-Rock Lake has a monthly match that seems kinda popular. Its a 5 hour drive from PDX so I have only shot their 2 day matches.
-Enterprise , OR had a match or two last year, that is about the same drive.
-The Match Sheldon mentioned in Moxee I have not shot, but a buddy who lives out there and competes says its a good time and worth the drive.
-Parma in ID has what looks like a monthly match, but I haven't havent shot it.
- There is a farm match in Tillamook each year that is ALOT of fun. Hope we see a few more matches each year.
- COSSA mentioned above may have PRS/NRL sanctioned matches next year. I really hope they do, more matches the better.

NRL Borderwars probably has the most sanctioned matches in this region. Here is a list of all the matches this season and should give an idea what to expect next year (I have heard we will have more matches) https://nrlborderwar.org/north-west-region/

PRS Regional has had a bunch this year but it seems like alot of the venues are switching from PRS to NRL as the year went on. You can see all the PNW/RM region PRS matches we had this year here https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/clubs/RM

Then you have the national 2 day matches. PRS, NRL & NRL hunter for 2022. A few in WA a few in OR and a few in ID. The Gem Standoff NRL 2 day is in Mountain Home, ID in April 2022.

Finally you have NRL22/PRS22. If you want to shoot more often, build a dedicated .22 and there are a ton of matches in the region. I am waiting for a vudoo for this very reason. More frequent and closer matches to fill in around the 2-3 hour min drive for the 1 day PRS/NRL matches.

Reactions: Sheldon N
The match director at UNSC is top notch. The venue has its limitations, but the matches are well thought of. Not sure exactly what you mean by "reality based", but you'll find differing opinions about PRS style matches and their basis in reality. Plenty of matches in the PNW. Most weekends will give you plenty of options. Join the Northwest Precision Community group on FB.
Thanks for the input. By reality based I meant not just laying in the prone and shooting at known distance targets all day.

UNSC is great, but the next match probably isn’t until spring. Sun Valley in Moxee has a monthly match that is a good intro into rifle matches, low key. It is more PRS style but pretty casual. If you want “practical” where you have to range and engage in the clock then there is a whole rifleman’s team challenge series, mainly for 2 man teams but some option for solo shooters.

Honestly if you’re looking to compete it’s probably easier to start out with “PRS” style matches because it’s just the shooting part minus the locating/ranging so a bit simpler. You can always branch out to the field style matches, there’s a lot of crossover.

The Facebook group mentioned above is good, here is the match calendar that keeps track of the options out there … plus the national matches too.

Thanks! At the rate I’m going it might be early spring before i have my gear together and enough ammo to shoot a match anyway.

Check out the club precision rifle matches, the RTC series, and the NRL hunter series. All varying levels of what you are asking for.

The Sniper'sHide Cup Rifleman's Team Challenge in Coleville, WA. It's a 2-day match held in June. Carry your gear. Find, range, and engage on the clock.

252495128_10159830917218894_7045620841711611139_n.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My goal is to get going with some of the smaller matches this spring and then try some of the bigger events.