• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Wait a year or use a cheaper scope for now?

Mark21

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2008
Illinois
I know the cardinal rule that your glass is the key. However, in the middle of my custom build (I posted about this about 18 months ago) I lost my job and everything had to be postponed.

Back in the workforce as of January, I just got my rifle delivered and am sending out the check for the bill: 24" .308 Rock barrel with Surgeon action, B&C tactical, Jewel trigger, etc. That leaves me with the following dilemma: do I buy a cheap scope, like a Millet or Falcon and get out there and start shooting again, or do I postpone for the roughly 12-14 months it would take to save up for the NF I wanted to get (and just shoot my handguns and ARs?)

I know in the AR world, it's typically "buy more ammo and practice" rather than buy more kit. So I'm tempted to go cheaper glass, get out there for practice, and then sell the scope off for an upgrade in a year or two (all the while getting sh*t for being "that guy" with a high-end gun and lower-end glass) Thoughts?

Re: Wait a year or use a cheaper scope for now?

I would get a scope and get out to the range. Shit i don't think I could handle looking at a new rifle like that and not shooting it for a year.:)

i used to do a lot more three-guns than i do now......but...i used to get spanked by a FT worth cop with a bone stock AR with iron sights......as did most the rest of the field...just sayin

There are some low-budget options talked about here often. Bushnell mil/mil 10x, the old Super Sniper mil/moa scopes. You can get something reasonable for $300 bucks so you can shoot. I would go insane if I had a rifle like that just sitting around for a year....

Get a cheap "BUT" decent scope for now and have fun.The time will go by before you know it.

Get something decent and get out there and shoot. Yeah it's nice to have nice stuff to show off with but there are a lot of very good shooters out there with marginal equipment that will show a lot of the high dollar equipment guys how to shoot.

Forgot to add a recommendation but did see it after my post. My buddy used a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X with the tactical knobs and did very well with it last year. Very reliable changing settings for our targets from 234 out to 1000 yards with absolute perfect return to each setting. I think he found them used for about $175.00 or so. Great scope, inexpensive and you can always sell it and get your money back when you upgrade.

You'll be having fun, learning a lot and also realizing it don't take bragging rights stuff to do very well. When you get more funds and you wish to upgrade because you are ready then go for it.

Topstrap

I agree, but be very careful, some guys might "jump on you" for not having an American Made Scope/sling etc on your rifle, and if not using 100% American made ammo, don't bring it up, they don't go for it! There aren't that many choices for a "cheaper" scope made in the USA, but forget what some of these guys might say, get what you can afford, and enjoy your rifle! For a lot of you guys not old enough to remember, the first camera used on the moon-not made in the USA!

I had the same situation, except the delaying factor was the birth of my son. I waited almost 2 years before I finally put one bullet through my rifle. I was invited on a deer hunting trip and decided to dust of my rifle and give it a go. I hurriedly bought the cheapest scope I could afford(A BSA) and had it mounted and sited(So I thought). Luckily I didnt see any deer, cause who know were the impact would have hit. The scope wouldnt hold zero under the heavier recoil of my .308. I have since gone through 2 additional scopes. A 3-9X40 Nikon Buckmasters BDC(Good, but replaced for higher magnification) and a 6-18X40 Buckmasters Mildot(Perfect, but wanted a Mil/Mil). I now have a 3.5-15X56 Nightforce that I love. The only thing I might replace it with would be an F1 version of the same optic.

My advice: Skip the cheap BSA's, ETC and spend a min of 200-300$ Bushnell Elite, Nikon Buckmasters, ETC and then start saving for a Leupold, Nightforce USO, S&B or whatever catches ur eye

Damn if I had a rifle like that I would throw a falcon on it and go shooting and not give a rats ass what anyone thinks.

I would totally buy an inexpensive scope for right now. My 2 cents I would not worry about power right now. I have done decent groups with my 10x and made good hits on steel out to 1K. Even a fixed 10x would be fine. Go out and shoot, work on your form and loads until you can shoot consistent .5moa all the time in all weather and wind conditions. By the time you are done with this you will have your $$ for the better NF.

I would spend 299.99 on the Weaver 3-10X40 mil/mil Midway exclusive scope. It is not on sale now, but should be again in a month or so based off of the past. I am very happy with mine.

As others have said, I could not wait 12-24 months to shoot that rifle.

Enjoy and good luck.

I shot over 1000 rounds through a Nikon Buckmaster before getting a Nightforce. Worked fine. Just make sure you get a scope with enough elevation adjustment to shoot out to however far you will be shooting (usually 1000 yards and you need about 30-40moa of UP elevation). My Bucky had 80 moa. And of course you'll need a base--get a 20 moa one, that's pretty standard. Then your less expensive scope can act as a backup once you get one with all the features (zero stop, high speed turrets etc).

Good shooting to 'ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot over 1000 rounds through a Nikon Buckmaster before getting a Nightforce. Worked fine. Just make sure you get a scope with enough elevation adjustment to shoot out to however far you will be shooting (usually 1000 yards and you need about 30-40moa of UP elevation). My Bucky had 80 moa. And of course you'll need a base--get a 20 moa one, that's pretty standard. Then your less expensive scope can act as a backup once you get one with all the features (zero stop, high speed turrets etc).

Good shooting to 'ya. </div></div>

+1

Scour the for sale forum for a bargain on a used optic. There are MANY in there from guys who treated their kit well but are financing an upgrade now.

Do your homework/shopping, and get a decent lower-level scope and knock yourself out. The older 10x42 SS scopes work pretty well, and you'll be getting trigger time. And while it's not a "tier 1" (or whatever the kids are calling it these days) scope, just think how much fun you'll have spanking the guys with the $2000+ glass once you get familiar with your rig. Upgrade when you can, but shooting is a perishable skill. Get the most glass you can afford right now and hit the range is what I'd do.

I'm kind of in that boat right now, to a degree. I'm breaking my bank account finishing an SPR-type AR, and it's just got a simple 3-9x42FFP SuperSniper on it. I'd like to have a USO SN3 1.8-10x44, but the SS does great. I also have a 700P that's been "naked" for almost a year and a half. Depending on how work picks up, I'll have to either settle for an older Mil/MOA 10x Super Sniper, or I may get lucky and be able to pick up one of the new 5-20x50HD's SWFA is about to release. I'd be happy either way, so long as I get to take the .308 out again.

You can pick up a $300 Millet that is an amazing optic for the price.

I never advise anyone to go out and buy something cheap, but on the other hand, to let that rifle sit for a year borders on sinful.

One thing that you usually have to worry about with a "cheap" scope is that it would really suck to get it only to have it crap out on you. Then you're out the money that you could have saved and you still aren't shooting.

If I were in your position, I'd spend something just under $200 and get the Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10X. It isn't a great scope, but it's no POS either. It's just a good scope. Contact Marshall at Primary Arms. The last I saw, he had them for something around $190. 10X is enough to shoot for groups at 100 yards and bang steel out of at least 600.

I recommend this scope, because it's kind of cheap and good. It's cheap enough that it probably won't have much resale value and you really don't need to worry about that. You can just keep it as a back up later, after you get the scope you want.

For your purposes, the only other scope I'd consider in the about the same price range would be a used SS10X.

If you want, I have a 2.5-10 Tasco....mildot...
it ain't great but it tracks well and is reliable.... been on a 300WM for alot of rounds and survived.....
you can have it for the time it takes to send me a pm and return it when you can finally afford your NF in a year or so.....

I couldnt wait either. I was in your spot and bought the Bushnell 10x mil/mil from Midway. Works great, tracks perfect, glass is clear. You can get shooting for 300ish, scopes/rings/base. Cant let that fine rifle sit and collect dust.

I'm totally surprised that all the mega-gunsnob types haven't chimed in on how you "need to eat ramen noodles" ad nauseum until you can save $3000 or so for some real top-shelf glass.
crazy.gif

Because shooting isn't what we're doing here, looking good in front of strangers who might be able to look down their mighty, patrician noses at us is of primary concern.

Buy a super sniper 10 or 16, and then a year from now sell it and get one of the super sniper 5-20 HD's (check out the threads about the new super sniper HD to see what I'm talking about). That or do the American thing and charge a S&B to your credit card and make minimum payments for 10 years to pay it off.

I was in the same scenario. My 5r sit in the safe for over a year new and unfired before i bought a scope. I was really wanting a nightforce but work was slow and my budget was low. When natchez shooter supply put the bushnell 4200 3-12x44 ffp on sale for $530 shipped it was hard to pass up. So to sum it up im kinda glad i got the cheaper scope so i could start getting some practice in. Im sure i will end up buying a nicer scope when money permits but im happy now. Thats all that matters.

Thanks everyone -- I was pleasantly surprised by the replies. I didn't know what to expect, and it is great hearing so many of you did fine with so-called "lower tier" products. It's too easy to get caught up reading about all the USOs, NFs, S&Bs, etc.

I will plan on going with the cheaper optic for now and work on becoming a better shooter... until my impatience grabs me and I start selling off my AR kit and glass to speed the process!
smile.gif

Glad to see you getting a less expensive scope and getting out to shoot. It's easy to get caught up in the equipment race but it's really not needed to actually do well at this long distance game. Yeah it's nice to have something that you can throw off your roof or use as a spud bar to pry out stones but quite a few of the "cheaper" scopes hold up very well and perform better than most shooters ability. You'll just have to wait a bit longer before attaining equipment bragging rights.
smile.gif

We (me and son) shot all last year with cheap pistol scopes at the 1000 yard matches and I'll about guarantee you that the cheapest rifle scope is WAY clearer and more precise than the best pistol scope at those distances. It takes quite a while for a shooter to progress up to being able to outperform his equipment but it sure is nice to have good stuff if you can afford it right off.

Good luck, let us all know how it works out.

Topstrap

I've been using the SS 3-9X for about a year for the same reasons you list. I just graduated up to an F1, I'm sorry to see it go. Magnification was my only real reason to move up.

There's absolutely no shame in putting a "lower end" optic on your rifle and shooting the thing...I bet NF and S&B are fantastic optics but quality of glass doesn't mean much if the guy behind the trigger can't put hits on target.

Besides, you <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> how good it'll feel to spank somebody with a high-end optic using a "lowly" SWFA SS or Elite 3200 or Buckmaster or Grand Slam Tactical...

I'm still waiting on a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP. So I picked up a 4-12 Diamondback from Vortex for 200$. It's not a 3000$ or 1000$ scope. But it does hold zero, and you can see the target just fine. It'll get you shooting. Waiting a year for a scope, I'd go fucking insane.

I use 2 busnell 4200's and they do the job fine for $500.

yes the nightforce i had was much nicer, but out to like 300yds the difference imho is not worth 4x the cost.

and you could always sell the cheaper temporary scope if you feel you MUST buy a NF in a year.

I'm lad you decided to put aside worry about the image and just go shoot. I have a midway special edition tactical BSA 6-24 that I bought on sale for 150. Holds zero, super clear till 15x or so( still good after but just not crystal clear.), tracks good and has lifetime warranty(not sure how good of one though). Just bought a vortex viper for next rifle, but point of the matter waseven though it is relatively cheap it got the job done.