• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Waiting 6+ months on can approval?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    I've been waiting on the ATF for over 6 months for my paperwork to come back for a gemtech sandstorm. I am using a trust.

My first set of 5 cans took 3 months and so did the last 2 pistol cans I bought last summer.

WTF? Anyone else take this long?

Re: Waiting 6+ months on can approval?

It's the government. They aren't exactly known for efficiency. Over 6 months is a relatively long wait though. Last time I filed it took about 3 or 4 months to get the paperwork pushed through.

Transfer times vary widely: one of my shooting buddies submitted an individual Form 4 with $200 tax last June 2009, and he is still waiting on his suppressor; on the other hand, my latest Form 4 approval took 11 days last month to transfer a suppressor from my FFL/SOT to me.

My last transfer took slightly less than 90 days. Hope yours gets to moving.

Can you get more than one can per form, or is it a one for one deal?

8 months for me and still counting. I have had two other forms submitted and returned in the same time.
    Don't try and make any logical sense out of it.
    Just sucks.

no one can regulate the government. They work as fast as they are paid to.
    Sometimes it takes 6 months and others it takes 2 months. Fastest I have ever received paperwork back was 6 weeks door to door. Longest was about 6 months for a SBR.

It really matters who your examiner is as well.

Alledgedly, and I say that with skepticism, the folks at Silencer Talk have been talking about Trusts taking longer because of BATFE scutiny. Some supposition about checking the validity of Trust with state law, and the recent influx pof them. I personally haven't seen that as my last can was literally 120 days from purchase to approval, and that was during the Obama Mania after he took office. Funny thing is; when I called to check the last time they said, "Pending," that same day my dealer called me to tell the Stamp arrived.

Can anyone tell me if it is $200.00 per item or how does it work? I am trying to build my first SBR with a can and have no idea how to go about doing this. I contacted a local gun store here in Las Vegas but the guy was less than helpful. Please Help. PM's are welcomed thank you for the help.

You will need a Stamp for the SBR and the can, so thats $400.00 to BATFE. The can will go on a form 4, and depending whether of not you build the SBR or buy it whole, it could either be a form 1 or 4. If you build the SBR, you have to submit the form 1 first and get approval before you acquire the short barrel. Then you will need to get the new serial engraved on the lower. If you buy the rifle whole, then its just a form 4. Basicly you when you build it yourself, you are creating a completely new NFA item which requires registration, if you buy it complete the manufacturer has already done it. My recomendation would be to buy it complete, easier that way.

***Disclaimer***When delving into the world of NFA, find out the law for certain before playing, internet jockey's are not nearly as reliable.

Ask your dealer who the examiner is and get a direct line to that person to see exactly what the holdup is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also just call BATFE direct, give them your serial, and they will let you know whats up. </div></div>

Yeah, I called, ATF said it wasn't in their system. Told the dealer that and the dealer said "it doesn't get put in the system till it is approved.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also just call BATFE direct, give them your serial, and they will let you know whats up. </div></div>

Yeah, I called, ATF said it wasn't in their system. Told the dealer that and the dealer said "it doesn't get put in the system till it is approved.

-dan </div></div>

Did you or the Dealer send off the paperwork? Because that is complete Grade A bullshit what the dealer told you. Also when was the check cashed?

The dealer did the paperwork. I would bet that they wouldn't let me fill it out anyway.

I could hardly get them to give me the serial number, I had to drive to the store to get it. When I asked them the status of the check (gun store sent check), they didn't answer, just said lots of transfers take this long, then they started telling me a story about someone waiting over a year for a transfer. (That person is still waiting).

Thanks.
    -dan

So, here we go...I'll take an educated guess if BATF says they have no record.

Its your dealer.

That which you may have seen that you wanted to buy was bought by another. Rather than tell you that, they took your money and ordered another unit. That unit hasn't arrived yet, or it just arrived. Either way, your dealer never did send in the paperwork way back when as he had no numbers. Now, its anybody's guess.

1. Somebody wrote out a $200 check....was it cashed?

Its your dealer.

Your dealer screwed you dude...plain and simple. Not only did you pay them for the suppressor, you also wrote them the tax check? Ya.......sounds like they are collecting interest on your money.

Sounds like he's jerkin you around.. Did the DOJ cash your check or did the dealer? Because if the dealer made you write them the check for the tax stamp red flags are going off.

Any non-retarded dealer (that requires doing the paperwork themselves) should have a scan or photocopy of your form4 including the serial of the device they are holding in transfer. Ask to see both, or any other form of proof it has been mailed.

Tbh, dealers that don't leave the paperwork upto the customer are the ones I hear people bitch about. My can was 4 months from the envelope leavng my door to picking it up-- that was about 6 months ago.

If memory serves me correct, you have to sign your Form 4 before sending it out. So if you didn't sign it or fill it out, I am willing to bet that the paperwork was never sent.

And I have sent out all my own paperwork with a tracking number so I know when it gets to the ATF. The ATF might be slow, but they are not that slow logging in the paperwork. After reading around, it looks like the ATF is speeding up and transfers are taking 3 months instead of the 4 months like last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will need a Stamp for the SBR and the can, so thats $400.00 to BATFE. The can will go on a form 4, and depending whether of not you build the SBR or buy it whole, it could either be a form 1 or 4. If you build the SBR, you have to submit the form 1 first and get approval before you acquire the short barrel. <span style="color: #FF0000">Then you will need to get the new serial engraved on the lower.</span> If you buy the rifle whole, then its just a form 4. Basicly you when you build it yourself, you are creating a completely new NFA item which requires registration, if you buy it complete the manufacturer has already done it. My recomendation would be to buy it complete, easier that way.

***Disclaimer***When delving into the world of NFA, find out the law for certain before playing, internet jockey's are not nearly as reliable. </div></div>

What are you talking about? If you are building a SBR on a form 1 you have to have a lower that is ready to be registered it will come from its manufacturer already serialized. You copy that serial number onto the form. The ATF does not give you a new serial number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also just call BATFE direct, give them your serial, and they will let you know whats up. </div></div>

-dan </div></div>

You're dealer is lying to you. And he or she is full of shit! Report them to the proper authorities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If memory serves me correct, you have to sign your Form 4 before sending it out. So if you didn't sign it or fill it out, I am willing to bet that the paperwork was never sent.

And I have sent out all my own paperwork with a tracking number so I know when it gets to the ATF. The ATF might be slow, but they are not that slow logging in the paperwork. After reading around, it looks like the ATF is speeding up and transfers are taking 3 months instead of the 4 months like last year. </div></div>

Yep, I filled mine out and had forgotten. I looked at the form4 and it is signed in section 15 by the transferee. If you never signed a completely filled out form4 then something fishy is going on man.

Signed a form 4 when the can came into the dealer.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will need a Stamp for the SBR and the can, so thats $400.00 to BATFE. The can will go on a form 4, and depending whether of not you build the SBR or buy it whole, it could either be a form 1 or 4. If you build the SBR, you have to submit the form 1 first and get approval before you acquire the short barrel. Then you will need to get the new serial engraved on the lower. If you buy the rifle whole, then its just a form 4. Basicly you when you build it yourself, you are creating a completely new NFA item which requires registration, if you buy it complete the manufacturer has already done it. My recomendation would be to buy it complete, easier that way.

***Disclaimer***When delving into the world of NFA, find out the law for certain before playing, internet jockey's are not nearly as reliable. </div></div>

It is true that a separate tax stamp and fee of $200 is needed for the SBR and can. If you do a SBR on form 1, which allows you to be the manufacturer of an NFA item, you will need to have your info engraved on it. Name and city basically, tho it might vary depending on if you as an individual or as a trust is registering the weapon. You DO NOT engrave a new serial number. The serial number of the weapon is initially put on the Fm 1, and it is also the number of your tax stamp. You may buy an SBR from a commercial manufacturer, such as Colt or LMT. Since they made the NFA item, their info is required to be on the weapon.