• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Waiting for Upland Hunting

Dale264

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Eye-oh-wah
The puppers and I are getting anxious waiting for September 1. Only 89 more days!

Attachments

• 8A8535FD-C043-4CDE-9C91-F3C202A5FC60.jpeg
    8A8535FD-C043-4CDE-9C91-F3C202A5FC60.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 41
German Wirehaired?

Can't wait, although my annual trip is usually in December when its -2 and windy.

About 45 min out of Grand Island Nebraska. Pheasants have been steady the last few years, quail seem to be rebounding strong.

Of course that's all subject to change with the rain. We walked through fields in 2018 with 4 inches of standing water. And that was before this spring.

Reactions: cornhusker86
I’m anxious too. This will be my first season with my own dog. Shaping up to be a good bird year here in Nevada.

Did you train your own dog? Just picked up the Wildrose book, hoping to jump a new pup in next year.

Did you train your own dog? Just picked up the Wildrose book, hoping to jump a new pup in next year.

Maybe in the future, but i’m too green for that now. I was fortunate to have a trainer just down the road who apprenticed under Ronnie Smith, and now trains full time. Totally worth it to watch the developement of my dog and her classmates, and learn to be a good handler at the same time.

71611FCA-0622-4DBD-8BA0-BF7B8D721282.jpeg

Reactions: Snipe260
I need another pointing dog. Used to run Brittany spaniels and then got into waterfowl. I really like the looks of the wirehairs. It will have to be a house, take to work dog also.

Dove always kicks off the hunting year here in North Texas. Followed by Chinese Chickens, Quail, and Chucker. I'm already booked for Dove, but damn I need to start booking hunts for all the rest, usually Kansas. My AO either doesn't have birds, or they are so few that they get a pass until populations come back.

Edit to add: I'm envious of those of you with pointing breeds.

I need the time to get and train a dog. Not this year though.

I also need to figure out what I’m going to do before 22 August because California:
  • Get a new barrel for the 1100 so I can use steel shot
  • Get a reloading setup for bismuth or tungsten matrix shot for the LC
  • Hope I find some bismuth or tungsten matrix shotshells that are gentle enough to not crack the LC
  • Buy a double gun that will handle steel and is as well regulated as the LC

I need the time to get and train a dog. Not this year though.

I also need to figure out what I’m going to do before 22 August because California:
  • Get a new barrel for the 1100 so I can use steel shot
  • Get a reloading setup for bismuth or tungsten matrix shot for the LC
  • Hope I find some bismuth or tungsten matrix shotshells that are gentle enough to not crack the LC
  • Buy a double gun that will handle steel and is as well regulated as the LC
Look at the brand Backridge Ammunition. They are supposed to offer a nontoxic load for older guns. Give them a shout if you’re really interested. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

Kent also makes bismuth shot. Patterns similar to lead and safe for any choke. It’s priced reasonable at about $20-30/box of

Reactions: gnochi
Look at the brand Backridge Ammunition. They are supposed to offer a nontoxic load for older guns. Give them a shout if you’re really interested. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

Kent also makes bismuth shot. Patterns similar to lead and safe for any choke. It’s priced reasonable at about $20-30/box of

I’ll check out Backridge, thank you! I’ve yet to see any Kent in stock anywhere.