• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wal-Mart rem 700 ok, or...?

Fortyfiveautomatic

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Hi, fng here checking in with a question about a new bolt purchase.

Wal-Mart has a sporter-barrel equipped .30-06 Remington 700 on what appears to be a non-free floating stock for $397; it's even got a cheapo scope on it.

Should I purchase this, or spend the extra dough for an Sps for $599 from Cabelas?

I originally wanted a .308, as I understand it is more accurate. Would an 06 be just as accurate? Also, I was planning on switching up to a bell and carlson stock in either case.

Is a sporter barrel going to perform significantly worse than the bull barrel up to 800 or so yards?

TIA for your recommendation.

Re: Wal-Mart rem 700 ok, or...?

Answer is don't waste your money on a sporter barrel if you plan on shooting at longer ranges. Get the SPS tactical and rock on.

Sounds like the Walmart rifle 700 might be a ADL model, if it is I might opt for the SPS stainless from cabelas, put a H-S stock on it, TPS rings, Burris Picatinny bases. The 06 can be very accurate, my Model 70 is right up there in accuracy with my 308s, but I still prefer the 308 for LR work, and they dont kick quite as much as the 06. With the new powders you can push the 308s as fast as 06 factory loads which is cool, faster in some cases. Hope that helps.

Almost forgot, my SPSS is more accurate than my 700 308 sporter, but its a totally different rig for sure.

308classic.jpg

265705-R1-21-22.jpg

the first gun i ever bought myself was a 7mm rem mag from wallmart for 400 bucks and i came with a cheepo scope too.
ive killed more deer with that rifle than any other since i bought it. nothing wrong with wallmarg's guns they come out of the same boxes as other guns.

i wanted a hunting rifle and i bought a hunting rifle. what i do not suggest is spending 400 bucks on something because its available at wallmart versus finding what you want and paying a little more for it.

i like a heavier barrel for longer range shooting but thats just me.

Thanks for the responses thus far, gentlemen.

Do you think it would be a good idea to get the ~ $400 .30-06, ditch that barrel, buy a $250 .308 Shilen heavy barrel from Brownells and get that installed?

Are the bolt-face dimensions the same for .30-06 as they are for .308? You can shoot .308 from a long-action 700 receiver, right? Doesn't the M24 do that?

If you're looking for a budget build, just buy the SPS Varmint or Tactical and replace the stock because the barrels usually shoot pretty well out of the box. However, If you plan on replacing everything and doing a custom job, buy a cheapo rifle, sell the unwanted components and buy good parts. I would suggest Rock Creek barrels from bugholes here on the hide because my barrel gauged so well, but some smiths require the action to be trued when installing a new barrel which will also add a few more hundred dollars on top of the cost of the blank barrel, and barrel finishing costs. So just replacing the stock and barrel for the first time you are looking at about $800-$1000 or more in just the rifle without cerakote or rail or rings. I have a little over $3,400 in my rifle alone without optics, so you can see what a complete custom build can run when all quality components are used.

You can do all that but your gonna sink a bunch of cash in it.

400 rifle, 300 barrel, 250 chamber/install...

I'm sure itll shoot around 1 moa. If you want a heavier barrel and there is a dicks sporting goods close to you they are having a special for their heavy barrel varmint rifles.

450 Rifle
-50 Mail in Rebate from Dicks
-40 Dicks sporting goods gift cards
-40 Mail in rebate from Remington
-----------
320 for a heavy barrel rem 700 with cheap scope.

I sold the stock on mine for 50 and the scope/rings/bases for 40

230$ Remington 700 Barreled action in 223, 243, or 308

If your gonna put it in a B/C stock anyhow thats what I would do....

If you live close to a dicks sporting goods you can get a rem700 26inch varmint barrel for 400$

308 vs -06 doesnt matter to much unless you reload then the 06 has alot more potential, if your just gonna pick up ammo online or of the shelf you'll have better options with 308 for match grade stuff. If your just punching paper i'd get a 223 its much cheaper.

If you wanna rebarrel you might wanna consider a savage or stevens 200 its simple to do the work yourself- with a rem7 your gonna be paying a smith and waiting.