• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Walking in with climber tree stand

sled_mack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
I bought a Summit climber stand for hunting state land this year. Looking for options on how best to carry it in/out of the woods.

I think there are 2 basic options. First is strapping the stand to my pack. Second is buying one of the kits to carry the stand like a pack and getting a small bad to strap to the stand. Or maybe a waist pack?

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with either setup or a better idea. It’s time to start getting things together and doing some test runs so I have a tested plan before the season starts.

Thanks.

Reactions: pabrousseau
It’s a PITA, but can be done either way you described. I carried (backpack style) my viper in every day I hunted when I lived in Ohio. Mine came with straps to use as a backpack though, so I disnt have to buy any. I still use it, but have since gave it a permanent home on our property in NC. It now stays at the base of the tree I use the most and I just climb up when I hunt. If I want to move, I use a ground blind or an old building I have.

The straps that came with the stand are just basic straps. no padding or anything between the metal and my back. There’s a company online selling a nice backpack type suspension system with a waist belt. Seems like it would be worth the money if I go that route.

The area I hunt doesn’t get much traffic and has really thick underbrush. I’m tempted to lock it to a tree in the underbrush a few days before the season starts. But people suck, I’m sure someone would stumble upon it and come back with a bolt cutter.

I upgraded my straps, and highly rexommend it. Then I just hung my pack (sitka toolbox I think is the model) on the climber and used one of the straps for the tree to hold it tight. Upgrading straps is worth it even if only carrying the climber 100yds to your spot unless it is through open terrain. Pretty hard to be stealthy with shitty straps that slide off your shoulder or have to keep adjusting as you bend and climb over underbrush and downed trees. Love my climber and use it the majority of my season. Were I hunt has a lot if good straight walnut and cherry trees, so finding the right tree in the right spot is not too difficult but can still be a hurdle.

Makes me wonder why mine came with better straps. They aren’t gucci, but they had some padding. I’ve had my climber since my Ohio hunting days (all public land for me there) and my wiff got me one for season one year. I have had it for almost 10 years. It has served me well and witness the harvest of a few deer.

Switch to saddle hunting. A lot lighter. More quiet. More versatile.

Some surplus Alice packs straps are the way to go. They have real nice padding and you can move them around easy. If they feel like there going to walk off you shoulders on long ventures then I use one of those rubber twist tie things and tie them together across my mid section.

Reactions: 240nmc

Something like this but there are many options that are similar.

Reactions: 240nmc
I bought the upgraded backpack straps for my Viper and had a small pack that I would clip onto the stand itself. Hunted on public land with that set up for years.

I guess step one is to see if I can find a good way to secure the stand to my pack. Part of the issue is that my pack is an old Eberlestock lodrag I got for matches years ago and it is heavy to begin with. If I go with straps on the stand, then I can get the smallest, lightest bag that will hold the minimum needed for a day hunt. That’s probably the lightest way to go.

thanks for the feedback.

I guess step one is to see if I can find a good way to secure the stand to my pack. Part of the issue is that my pack is an old Eberlestock lodrag I got for matches years ago and it is heavy to begin with. If I go with straps on the stand, then I can get the smallest, lightest bag that will hold the minimum needed for a day hunt. That’s probably the lightest way to go.

thanks for the feedback.
Yup I think your on the right track, get the stand comfortable on your back and strap like a little sling pack to it. The sling packs are also nice in that it can be worn on your front slung over your shoulder first and then put your stand on.

children-carrying-heavy-load-guatemala-atitlan-lake-EBK4J6.jpg

I said lift with you legs little billy , sally's not pulling her end of the weight don't make me use the switch lol

I use this one. It also allows quick access to a light and other gear when slung on front. The little pouch on the strap fits a full size mag flawlessly and there’s even a great spot inside for a pistol. Great also for taking with you when you go places where you don’t have a belt to hold things up and you need your pistol with an extra mag like the gym!

The straps that came with the stand are just basic straps. no padding or anything between the metal and my back. There’s a company online selling a nice backpack type suspension system with a waist belt. Seems like it would be worth the money if I go that route.

The area I hunt doesn’t get much traffic and has really thick underbrush. I’m tempted to lock it to a tree in the underbrush a few days before the season starts. But people suck, I’m sure someone would stumble upon it and come back with a bolt cutter.
Please send link for these upgraded straps. Interested in upgrading the straps on my viper climber.

This is what I’ve been looking at:

I don’t have them yet, so not an endorsement. I’d guess there are others making similar products.

This is what I’ve been looking at:

I don’t have them yet, so not an endorsement. I’d guess there are others making similar products.
Thanks. I have always thought about upgrading the straps to make it easier to carry and hopefully quieter. I had access to private property and would just leave them at the base of the tree I was going to hunt the following day. Now I may start hunting public land near my home and do not feel comfortable with that strategy.

I pulled the bag off a kelty external frame pack and lashed my summit to the frame. Cargo pockets were sufficient for the remainder of stuff that I needed for a day hunt in the fall.

I have 2 Doubles & 3 single ladders set up for this year & I can't imagine taking them in, out every day. I DO have a Deer Cart that works great for them.
As Deja Vu said-you can put wheels on the stand itself & make a carry cart of it also.
I have 2 hang ons & 2 12 ft. stick ladders I use when I have to take down & put up every time I go hunting (Public ground). I do have a 10 footer thats about 20 #s I have hauled in & out.

I have 2 Doubles & 3 single ladders set up for this year & I can't imagine taking them in, out every day. I DO have a Deer Cart that works great for them.
As Deja Vu said-you can put wheels on the stand itself & make a carry cart of it also.
I have 2 hang ons & 2 12 ft. stick ladders I use when I have to take down & put up every time I go hunting (Public ground). I do have a 10 footer thats about 20 #s I have hauled in & out.
Climbers are pretty easy to move around. So long as you can find a straight tree with no limbs in the way, you can rig one around a tree, climb to your shooting position, and be tying off your safety harness in just a few minutes. The biggest hurdle is walking one in- if they don't have a shoulder strap system. Not something that I'd want to carry on a multi-day back country hike in hunt. But, for a day hunt, they're not a big pain...

The XOP system arrived yesterday. Took about 15 minutes to get the buckles in the right spots- at least for now, might be more adjustment later. So far, way better than the straps that came with the stand. It holds the stand up high enough not to hit the back of my legs, and keeps the stand from rocking front and hitting the back of my head.

For now, glad I made the purchase. See if I still feel that way after hunting season.

The XOP system arrived yesterday. Took about 15 minutes to get the buckles in the right spots- at least for now, might be more adjustment later. So far, way better than the straps that came with the stand. It holds the stand up high enough not to hit the back of my legs, and keeps the stand from rocking front and hitting the back of my head.

For now, glad I made the purchase. See if I still feel that way after hunting season.
Any chance we can get pics?

My Ol'Man climber had shoulder straps so it was easy to carry. I used a Badlands Monster (think oversized fanny pack) for carrying whatever I needed. Once at the climb site I could get into position, then remove the Monster to wrap it around the arms on the climber. Worked great for me.

My Ol'Man climber had shoulder straps so it was easy to carry. I used a Badlands Monster (think oversized fanny pack) for carrying whatever I needed. Once at the climb site I could get into position, then remove the Monster to wrap it around the arms on the climber. Worked great for me.
What got me started on this was seeing my buddy’s older stand with nice straps. After trying with the shit straps that came with my stand a f different ways, I decided to upgrade. While his old setup isn’t quite as nice as what I just bought, I would have been happy with it for sure!

Reactions: HeavyAssault
E7A1F92D-CF8B-4D80-96CA-615E42960EF6.jpeg
060EDA25-1595-485D-845F-B144CC5803CC.jpeg
7DD5752E-4D42-4C0A-87A0-2358BA9E647E.jpeg
9E073399-691F-4924-9CDC-AD3DF4C8F63C.jpeg
02BA214C-FEA6-43AD-B50B-D6CBC133E3F2.jpeg

sorry, took a little while to get to this.

There are 4 clips on each side. The bottom 3 support the weight, the top one keeps it stable. So far I’ve just tested this over a tee shirt. I need to put on the layers I would typically wear when walking out in the morning and see if it still fits well.

If I am going to strap a pack to a climbing stand I prefer the stand against my back and the pack strapped to it. I also bought a lumbar support belt and permanently attached it to my stand.

However, in cold weather when I may have a full pack I pack front and back. Treestand on the back and backpack strapped to my chest/stomach. Makes a huge difference in how it feels.

On a different note - I've owned many brands of climbing and hanging stands over the years. As far as climbing stands nothing packs better and climbs quieter than the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. There are more comfortable stands, but nothing that will beat it in those 2 categories.

Reactions: Simonsza1