• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walmart Rem 700 potential?

pizzamanny

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2011
sc,spartanburg
I have a cheap(plastic stock) Rem 700 in 30-06 that I bought 7 years ago at walmart as my first hunting rifle. I am wanting to get into tactical long range shooting. I am planning on a better rifle(Rem 700 5r or 700 acc) down the road so I would place high quality base/rings/glass on this rifle and transfer rings/glass to the newer rifle later. How much is the crappy stock/rifle going to affect accuracy? I am wanting to make it dow to Rifles Only for a LR class with my wife.Am I wasting my time with this as a beginner or is it good enough?
As a side note I already have a really nice LR set up for her. I have to buy 2 of everything. I am sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and came up with little.

Re: Walmart Rem 700 potential?

Is this the 770, adl, sps?... What length is the barrel? How far are you looking to shoot?
how does it shoot now?

Ive learned "You cant appreciate quality guns untill youve owned , fired , and built up a crappy one"

Run whatcha brung!! Have fun. Shoot the hell out of it and learn all you can. My brother bought a elcheapo savage 06, that we worked a load for that shoots damn good.

My experience with Wal-Mart guns is some are good and some are not. If you are doing your part and you are getting good groups you are in business.

I believe Rifles Only wants you to bring a rifle that is capable of 1 MOA. If your rifle is not capable of 1 MOA I believe you can rent one from them during your class.

I bought one of D_I_C_K's Sproting Goods inexpensive special run models; this is what it will do:

Dec210ShotGroupcopy.jpg

It is a Remington 700. So it has just as much potential as any other factory Remington. Where you purchased it is of little consequence. Yes the current stock sucks, yes the barrel could be better, yes the machine work leaves much to be desired. But it is nothing any different then any other Remington.

But the good news is that the rifle has can easily be made into whatever you want it to be. Plenty of aftermarket support exist for these rifles and any competent smith can true up the action and screw in a new barrel. It is all about what you want from your rifle and how much you are willing to invest.

I think a stock and trigger upgrade will do wonders. Something like Bell/Carlson Medalist stock is a relatively inexpensive upgrade - there are other in varying price ranges. One with an aluminum bedding block helps the novice do-it-yourselfer.

Then the trigger - can't go wrong with a Timney. It's easy to install and a great trigger.

That's probably all I would do myself - if you really want to get fancy you can have your action blueprinted, new barrel and stock bedded by a gunsmith (I'll go ahead and tell you - if you hang around shooting long enough this is where you are naturally heading anyway). But those basic mods of do-it-yourself trigger an stock will go a long way before you're ready to sell out completely.

For the price u cant go wrong. They r cheaper then the other stores around here and can always be upgraded later. I wish they had a cheap 300 rum so i can steal the action

Yeah the stock blows, the b&c is definitely a good idea and the way to go in my opinion if your budget isn't huge or your not sure what you want. You can always resell it later and recoup almost all of your money. That is what I plan on doing when its time for me to upgrade to a different stock setup. I'm going to look into trigger upgrades eventually. Jewell makes good triggers I hear.

Hey! We have the same problem. I have bought several rifles "for my wife". I just enjoy the fact that she can shoot well and likes to go to the range with me. I have 2 SPS tacticals and I plan to have "her" action trued with a 28" barrel for F/TR. We shot a match back in October and we "run what we brung". She did quite well for her first mid range match scoring a 547-4x(out of 600). I say go with what you got. You will still learn a lot. The only thing that I don't enjoy is being second in line.

Sounds like the same rifle I got. Cant go wrong with that. It probably an ADL model. Got mine for less than $400, crappy scope base n rings came with it. It was good practice for the time. Now the only thing left on it that is factory is the action, bolt and barrel, and trigger that I tuned myself. Its good for now as far as accuracy. New barrel and truing job on the action, and it will be good to go. I am sure you can get good results out of yours.

While my custom LR rifle was down 2 years ago I put my Mark 4 scope on my old Walmart M70 30-06. Stuck a Jewel trigger in it and did a quick glass bedding job. Shoots great. Used it to take an antelope at 798 yds. Good glass and good trigger are crucial to repeatable accuracy. I have rifles that shoot better, but I don't think that antelope really cared ;-)

Going to Rifles Only for training is a great idea. Not only can you learn a lot, you will meet some great people at a first rate facility.

The rifle you have most likely has the basics of what you need. It is likely old enough that it has the "old" style adjustable trigger that can be tuned up real nice by a quality smith or someone with solid mechanical skills. The barrel and action are what they are as far as straight and true and the proof is on the paper.

The plastic stocks are junk and usually have a very hard "recoil pad" that make them painful to shoot when shot repeatably over a period of time. (RO training) I would definitely plan on replacing that and having it bedded before you go.

Quality optics are needed as well but no need to spend big dollars on big name glass. There are some very good scopes out there with decent pricing. Ask Lisa for details ([email protected]) when they get back from the SHOT Show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a Remington 700. So it has just as much potential as any other factory Remington.</div></div>

I don't find this to be true. There are factory Remingtons that have more potential than others, take for instance the 5r. That's a factory model but it shoots better than the regular sps models. I even think the AACs are better made than the regular sps line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a Remington 700. So it has just as much potential as any other factory Remington.</div></div>

I don't find this to be true. There are factory Remingtons that have more potential than others, take for instance the 5r. That's a factory model but it shoots better than the regular sps models. I even think the AACs are better made than the regular sps line. </div></div>

And yet it is still a crap shoot so to speak. ANY factory rifle can shoot well, but their is no guarantee. I have seen plenty of factory rifles that sit an either end of the spectrum and some were high end others were low end. Anyway you look at it they are factory Remingtons. They might shoot well they might not. And they are all 700 actions thus the same accessories and parts are available for them. Thus accuracy potential is the same.

Pizzamanny,

Is the Remington an actual 700 or is it a 770 or 710 or any of the other Remington abortions out there.

I was in Oregon and was in Fred Meyers and saw they had Remington 770's on sale for $289.00. I thought hey it's a Remington and bought it pretty much site unseen. It was the biggest mistake I ever made. Took it home to check it out. The bolt fell out, the bolt stop was broke, the bolt felt like it had gravel in it, the action I believe had plastic inserts in it, the magazine would go back in and on and on and on. It was so bad, I sent it back to Remington and demanded a refund. They got me with the 770. I thought it was yer standard 700. Afterwards I got online and read all kinds of horror stories about the 770. The bolt like to snap off, especially while you have a fire case in the chamber.

I would really like to know what model he bought before commenting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a Remington 700. So it has just as much potential as any other factory Remington.</div></div>

I don't find this to be true. There are factory Remingtons that have more potential than others, take for instance the 5r. That's a factory model but it shoots better than the regular sps models. I even think the AACs are better made than the regular sps line. </div></div>

And yet it is still a crap shoot so to speak. ANY factory rifle can shoot well, but their is no guarantee. I have seen plenty of factory rifles that sit an either end of the spectrum and some were high end others were low end. Anyway you look at it they are factory Remingtons. They might shoot well they might not. And they are all 700 actions thus the same accessories and parts are available for them. Thus accuracy potential is the same. </div></div>

That's simply not true. Show me one single post, on any board, where someone said their 5r grouped larger than 1 moa. I bet you can't do it.

My 5R would not group 1MOA out of the box. Adjusted trigger torqued stock bolts and played with seating depth, powder charges, neck tension and not to mention the overly long throat. It finally shots 3/4 MOA, but cost me alot in time and reloading materials. The front barrel screw was only in the action by a couple of threads and had to counter sink the hole in the floor plate another 1/16th of an inch or so to get a good hold. My old early 700 in 264 is made with much higher quility.

Thanks for the reply's. It is a 700. It shoots 1 minute of deer at 250 with winchester walmart ammo. I am going to put Mark 4 rings/base and a fixed 10 powere leup or USO on it. Thanks again.

you probably can't go wrong with a cheapo stockys stock, might improve the accuracy a bit more.

Well, for the most part, Remington makes decent barrels. If it's a 700 then it isn't different than the same rifle bought at Cabelas or anywhere else.

If you're looking for accuracy, stop shooting crappy walmart ammo. Try some Federal Gold Medal Match or some Hornady AMAX Match if you really want to see what accuracy your rifle is capable of.

Any Remington 700 is a good place to start ..... for now anyway. Looks like thier QC might be dropping off with thier new CEO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you're looking for accuracy, stop shooting crappy walmart ammo. Try some Federal Gold Medal Match or some Hornady AMAX Match if you really want to see what accuracy your rifle is capable of.

</div></div>

By all means, do this.
Then get the stock and trigger.

I have a buddy that's been hunting all his life and thought he had a good rifle. I switched out his trigger for a Timney and now he's spoiled. When you finally shoot quality components and ring the steel at distance it's like a drug!

So if you don't need another addiction, stick with your stock Rem 700!

cant go wrong for that price. It should preform nicely, If you were to put another stock in it I think you will find is pretty accurate.

My 6.5 Creedmoor started life a few years back as a 243BDL youth model. The action and bolt are all that's left, and slicker than shit.
I like that barreled action as much as my Surgeon 591 build honestly...

I bought a cheap rem 700 .308 at academy last year for around $350. Changed out everything except the bolt and receiver. great buy